PDA

View Full Version : RAF Cottesmore Closure Parade

muttywhitedog
31st Mar 2011, 11:42
It was a truly memorable event which will live with me for ever!

Thanks to the GR4 4-ship for the flypast - nice to be reminded what a noisy airfield is like!

1.3VStall
31st Mar 2011, 16:27
Anyone got any piccies of the event?

staplefordheli
31st Mar 2011, 16:47
As the husband of one of the local VIPs there today. I have to say many thanks to the RAF and Navy lads and girls at RAF Cottesmore for being such fantastic neigbours. Yes we had the odd late night excersises but you know what, its gone earily quite now. here No nipping up to the base at night with the youngest to see the Tonkas on reheat, or later harriers on short finals and hovers. You all did yourselves proud today and the Marham 4 ship lowel level flypast was the icing in very windy conditions We will miss you all in the town of Oakham but lets hope that the base can continue under the army, who TBH are doing a great job at nearby Luffenham. All the best whatever your career path takes you

XIII Sqn
31st Mar 2011, 19:05
Glad to be of service.

All the aircrew enjoyed the flypast, some of whom learnt to fly the Tornado at Cottesmore.

RIP.

Geehovah
31st Mar 2011, 19:08
Sad the GR4s had to do the final, final flypast...

mugwuffin
31st Mar 2011, 19:31
have any photos of the flypast surfaced?

muttywhitedog
31st Mar 2011, 20:51
Not yet - I suspect there is much photoshopping to be done before any pictures surface. ;)

Lancastrian
1st Apr 2011, 17:30
Spent last weekend at Oakham. Was stationed at Cottesmore in 63/4 when we had Victor B2s then swapped over to Vulcans. The silence this time was deafening.

pr00ne
1st Apr 2011, 19:23
Lancastrian,

The B2 was only ever stationed at Wittering. You had the B1 and B1A.

glad rag
1st Apr 2011, 20:49
Shame to see another base go, not one of my favourites I must admit, but still a sad day.

Oh yeah :D pr00ne.

Sorry sarcasm was never a strong point.

staplefordheli
1st Apr 2011, 22:21
Yep concur with that
It is incredibly quiet here now in Oakham being of course on the center line from the south and only a few miles out.
Of course there was a lull after the Argosys left in the mid 70s but the Yanks made sure we were kept awake with plenty of low level work from the A10s out of Bentwaters and Woodbridge from 79 with low level Jet Provost flights for good measure and then the TTTE arrived to add to the mix!!
Luckily I left school in 79 but my eldest reckons it was fun doing exams with the Tonkas and Harriers overhead. I can remember having a hearing test abandoned at the local hospital and having to go to Leicester!! But you got used to it. the sound of freedom as they say and we never had any trouble in town from the base.
The youngsters will miss the chance to go bowling at the base with Scouts and Cubs etc and all the other things that come with having such a large RAF community on the doorstep
Just looking at the 2000 RIAT footage on youtube when i was lucky to work on the gate. It seemed impossible then to think that this could happen
I am sure others have gone through this same process such as when the big yank bases at Heyford and Bentwaters/ Woodbridge closed, but
We will miss you all at Cottesmore
:{

Lancastrian
2nd Apr 2011, 14:43
I stand corrected Pr OOne. Eventually settling in Suffolk back in the eighties we were quite used to watching the A10s cruising overhead with many visitors of all shapes and sizes. Our sheepdog would not raise his lazy head over and A10 passing over. However when a F4 or visiting Starfighter came within "crackling" distance he would go loopy. Needless to say we made many friends from Bentwaters and Woodbridge. Much of the domestic sites have now gone.I think when the twin bases closed part of this county died.