PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Mountain or Polo Flat

K3nnyboy
31st Mar 2011, 01:58
Hi All,

My friend and I are planning to do abit of a fly away trip this winter to the snowy. Just wondering if you guys have any tips for low hours pilot. Also, my ME-CIR has expired (and my friend is only VFR) and knowing the weather could be quite tough around those time. Do you think it's wise to renew my IR (I've only got limited cash :( ) ??

Also, I remember from ages ago that there used to be a strip called Polo Flat around the Cooma township, but there's no Jepps document for it anymore. Does it still exist or has it been sold for land development what so ever??

Regarding to YCOM, does it usually get alot of traffic around the area, including RPT ops?

Thanks for the help folks!! :ok:

KB

Frank Arouet
31st Mar 2011, 05:03
The last time I was anywhere near Cooma in winter was in a Butler Airlines Vickers Viscount some 50 years ago. But enough of me and my reminiscing;

Ring Mike Apps, Polo Flat 02 6452 6636 or 0412 435 198 for permission to land about 1km from town, or go to YCOM a lot further away, big taxi fare, or better still just buy an AOPA Airfield Directory.

Edit to add, Jindabyne is closer to snow, but accommodation probably more expensive than Cooma. car hire could weigh heavily on your decision. Oh, and fly the single in winter unless you're better than just current.

K3nnyboy
31st Mar 2011, 06:18
car hiring is one of the thing I'd consider as well, I think I could only get such service fm Cooma, not at Polo Flat and Jindabyne.

Flying a single around there during winter a good idea?? Just bit wary about not having an extra engine onboard. :hmm:

Thanks anyway.

KB

mnehpets
31st Mar 2011, 06:50
There's a web page for Polo Flat:

http://poloflat.biz/splash/splash-airfield.htm

There's supposedly a Hertz in Cooma (28 Sharp St; 02 6452 3348). It's a longish walk from Polo Flat, but you might be able to a lift to/from there if you ask nicely.

- S

ps: it's many years since I've lived there, and my memory is terribly unreliable.

Frank Arouet
31st Mar 2011, 07:23
Do you think it's wise to renew my IR (I've only got limited cash :( ) ??

I assume your twin of choice for this winter sojourn, given the above, is a budget private hire light twin just for the two of you, and you are not current?

In that case the extra engine should get you to the scene of the accident.

Good luck.

bushpig
3rd Apr 2011, 00:24
The answers to flying questions there don't appear to helpful. I haven't flown around there for years but did quite some years ago, but would think flying in a twin IFR would invite potential problems with icing. It can be quite savage if you are in visible moisture.
If you are essentially a sight seeing trip why bother with that extra problem especially if you aren't current and have negligible IFR time. I flew around there in C180's, Austers (par t of it glider towing) a debonair and various Cessnas. All VFR with no problems.It can be quite spectacular on a good day.
Keep in mind standing mountain wave. Gliders soar in up to 20,000 ft and more so although our "Snowy Mountains" are relatively low in elevation compared to overseas mountains, they do have a good "wave" system. The upper parts of the wave are quite smooth but anything below the main wave (and in the rotor area) can have a very rough and unpredictable ride and in quite clear air. Lower levels, say below about 10-12 thousand in a strong westerly which is common in winter can be quite rough. Cooma (YCOM) can also have a very decent crosswind in those same conditions from memory.
If you can, maybe have a talk to the tug drivers associated with Canberra Gliding Club.
All that said, it is generally not much a problem flying around there and just requires the normal common sense.

Speedbird 9
3rd Apr 2011, 00:50
I flew into Polo Flat about 2 months ago in a Duchess to get out of a storm. Unfortunately on the taxi back out to the runway we got the a/c bogged and had to tow it out with a Landcruiser. Top tip, don't fly in there when it is raining or has been raining as the ground gets really boggy.