PDA

View Full Version : Float Operators

WannaBeBiggles
29th Mar 2011, 21:28
Hi all

I have recently completed my float rating and think that I have found my calling in aviation!

I have a fair idea of the operators out there, but I haven't been able to find what sort of conditions and pay the various operators offer and general entry requirements, not to mention, the operators which may be best to avoid.

Without naming names, the areas I've identified are.

Melbourne (mostly owner operator ops for the two operators there)
Strahan Tas (might be good for new float pilots?)
Sydney (High entry requirements, lots of Canadians)
Gold Coast (numerous operators, unsure about conditions, pay etc)
Whitsundays (higher hour requirements, some have been lucky)
Townsville (1 man op?)
Cairns (unknown, references to a sister company have had mixed reviews)
Kununurra (Could be good for newbies, unsure of pay and conditions)
Broome (unknown, have heard there *may* be very steep bind involved)

Others?

aileron_69
30th Mar 2011, 02:27
Wings and Water in Te Anau run a 206 on floats and Volcanic Air Safaris have an Otter and a 206 on floats out of Rotorua. Theres a 206 running out of Picton too but i dont know what they call themselves. All good spots if you want to fly in some nice scenery. Operating from Te Anau will get your butthole pulling the buttons off the seats when the weather gets dicey.

WannaBeBiggles
30th Mar 2011, 23:10
Thanks for the PM's everyone and a_69, NZ could definitely be a go'er if nothing eventuates in OZ.

I almost wet myself when I read your description of bad weather flying! :}

BWickham
31st Mar 2011, 03:13
+1 for Volcanic Air Safaris in Rotorua, NZ.

I went for a joy flight with them in February of this year.

It was my first experience with lighter-than-water aviation, but I was impressed with their operation.

The aircraft was a C206 (one of two they operate, in addition to a radial-powered DHC-3 Otter and a couple of light helos). The Cessna was an older airframe, but seemed in very good repair (working out of a freshwater lake is probably much kinder to it than operating in seawater).

Our pilot -- an ex-RNZAF Herc driver -- had a good attitude and was very professional. Obviously part of the job is being a storyteller, entertaining and educating the passengers about the history and geology of the region.

Overall they appeared to be an organised, well-managed and professional outfit.

-=Ben=-

Piano Man
31st Mar 2011, 07:19
If you are keen for float flying in Oz then try and get a little beaver time under your belt.

They are slow, noisy, unergonomic, but a hell lot of fun, and full of charm!

All the best with your travels!