PDA

View Full Version : Hercules meets Typhoon

MATELO
29th Mar 2011, 18:53
These may have been posted before but I have not seen them.

http://www.thedigitalaviator.com/blog//wp-content/uploads/Typhoon.c130-3-tm2.jpg

"thanks, can u get a little closer"

"close enough"
http://www.thedigitalaviator.com/blog//wp-content/uploads/typhoon.c1302-3-tm1.jpg

Gulfstreamaviator
29th Mar 2011, 18:55
I thought I was being pushed tonight on the highway, now I know just what it must be like.

How far are they apart...

glf

MostlyHarmless
29th Mar 2011, 19:09
Pilot thinks "Did I turn the radar off?"

The B Word
29th Mar 2011, 19:26
On a previous type in the FIs, the competition was "can you touch the pitot probe" - I heard it was done, but I was not there to witness...
:eek:

Biggus
29th Mar 2011, 19:27
It has been done before, I think it is a couple of years old.....

I don't say that by way of criticism, just as prior warning that someone will be along shortly with a link to the previous pprune thread on this subject.

Dengue_Dude
29th Mar 2011, 19:59
Just as well nobody had left a loose tensioner on the ramp eh?

Tashengurt
29th Mar 2011, 20:36
Who was the Tiffie pilot? Looks a bit crafty to me.

JEM60
29th Mar 2011, 20:49
Amazing what one can do with 'photoshop' isn't it!

dallas
29th Mar 2011, 20:51
That was my gut feeling - just can't say why...

500N
29th Mar 2011, 21:10
They look to be different photos under Photoshop unless someone
is expert at adjusting light / shadows but the pixels haven't been changed
in areas I would have expected.

Some good footage here of a similar action over Melbourne with a Super Hornet.
Flying in a Hercules tailed by Hornet fighter jets - ABC Melbourne - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/03/03/3154525.htm)

(Suggest you let the whole video download first).

Harley Quinn
29th Mar 2011, 21:16
Biggus is right- the thread then drifted into the expected cynical Amazing what one can do with 'photoshop' isn't it! with a load of techno babble about focal length distorting how close the two aircraft were and how the number of pixels varied by 'eulers number over the radius of a gnats tadger' until someone claimed authenticity by showing the pics had bee taken as part of a trial IIRC. Course I could be wrong but frankly who gives a stuff- either its good flying or its good photoshop.

MostlyHarmless
29th Mar 2011, 21:21
It's Pukka (It was for a PR video) - you can see the camera rig on the left of the first shot.

Willard Whyte
29th Mar 2011, 21:25
A proper Herc crew would have let fly with a stream of paper cups.

Or gone for a p***.

Willard Whyte
29th Mar 2011, 21:31

Better a credulous mind than a tin foil helmet.

A A Gruntpuddock
29th Mar 2011, 21:45
Well, obviously no need for carriers then.

The Typhoons can just run into the Hercs like the Minis in The Italian Job went into the bus. Bloody marvelous what they come up with nowadays.

Perhaps they can even dock into the cavernous weapons bay in the Nimrods? Oh, wait ...

MATELO
29th Mar 2011, 23:39
the competition was "can you touch the pitot probe"

there is a couple of photos which show the "herc" closer to the "chase" aircraft.

not sure if they will ever be shown though, although it was a "slow speed handling check for/& visual damage" if anybody asks!!!!!!!!

LOL.

TEEEJ
30th Mar 2011, 06:30
JEM60,

No photoshop involved. It was part of the filming for an RAF advert in 2007. The Typhoon/C-130 sequence is at 03:35 in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-s_4r5Nrug

A bit of extreme ironing on a C-130 in the following video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-U3-9UO0w

TJ

JEM60
30th Mar 2011, 08:02
TEEJ. Stand corrected. Thankyou. Not quite sure why it was necessary for the guy to be pushing the limits so much tho' . Only was a PPL myself, but is it clever?, or a poor example to others. Cheers.

Jig Peter
30th Mar 2011, 13:19
Pity that you sound so sour-grapey ... Fighter pilots (and even bigger aeroplanes taking on fuel in flight) NEED to fly close and steady quite often, which a PPL wouldn't (or shouldn't) find in his/her aviator's tool-box. And would quite possibly come a cropper if he/she tried it.

And as for "setting a bad example" - well, why not lighten up a bit, Sir ?
Hope you're not such a whinger in "real life" as you sound in your post ...
Cheers

(from an Old Cold Warrior).

LL of LL
30th Mar 2011, 13:28
It was shot years ago... en-route back from a Singapore detachment. I know the pilot well and there's no photoshop involved.

Tashengurt
30th Mar 2011, 15:27
I know the pilot well

So who was it??!!

uffington sb
30th Mar 2011, 16:14
So what happened to the centreline pod thingy??

pete o'nesa
30th Mar 2011, 16:41
Right, never had the will to post before but when people are spouting rubbish then I feel I have to. For one we were not back from Singapore, it was a saturday and it was XXIV Squadron. As for how do I know this; cause I was the one in the RHS keeping the Herc 'steady'. My arse the autopilot is far more competant, anyway got that off my chest.

Bilgediver
30th Mar 2011, 17:29
Hercules meets Typhoon
These may have been posted before but I have not seen them.

I think this was filmed during the making of the RAF TV advert a few years ago when Albert was used as a camera platform while a Typhoon did manoevres close by pm order to obtain flying characteristics for the CGI boys who had to get nuts bolts and spanners to fly in formation then morph into a Typhoon.

This was done in over Yorkshire and according to folk on the ground when doing this unscripted bit the planes were close. However not as close as they appear here as the camera man has gone to Tele which has forshortened the picture.

You get a similar effect on other videos involving Tornadoes.

JEM60
30th Mar 2011, 18:06
JIGPETER
No, I am a very happy and contented person, actually, and never really had cause to whinge about anything, to be honest, financially, or otherwise.
I have also, over the years, witnessed 11 air crashes, including 4 collisions, all resulting in loss of life. I was really promoting the discussion. Despite only being a lowly PPL, I am very well aware of RAF pilots skills, and was simply musing about the repercussions should there have been a coming together, is all.:)Yes, one has to fly close for air-to-air refuelling, I just thought this was a bit OTT, but I am perfectly happy to accept that it was O.K. Respect to you, Sir, for your aviating in those days.

TEEEJ
30th Mar 2011, 22:15
uffington sb wrote

So what happened to the centreline pod thingy??

Well spotted! Yes the centreline tank is missing from the still images. Was there another Typhoon involved? Was it a practice or was it another filming shoot as already suggested?

TJ

Fox3WheresMyBanana
31st Mar 2011, 22:14
Jem60. Perhaps worth mentioning that we do night AAR also, in cloud. ...and as for night idents before NVGs were invented.....