PDA

View Full Version : Tax and GYH(M)

Sloppy Link
29th Mar 2011, 09:48
PPRuNers,
I recall a tax guru on here a couple of years ago who had managed to get a tax rebate on GYH(M) (the difference between the rate paid by MOD and the 40p in the mile the taxman gave) on the grounds that his place of work was temporary. I now find myself in this position but cannot find the post, I think it was buried in a slightly different thread. With the rate now fixed at 25p and the taxman now upping his figure to 45p, a 400 mile round trip should provide a healthy tax rebate......if I can do it. Any offers?

Tiger_mate
29th Mar 2011, 09:53
I gave JPA printouts to my accountant as proof of service journeys in a private car (MMA) and got a Tax refund that I believe was based upon this. I am not sure about GYM, but am very interested in finding out :E

On_Loan
29th Mar 2011, 10:16
I have claimed it, i used a form to claim it the first year then as the amounts got larger I had to start doing it through self assesment - so if you have other things you want to keep under the radar bear that in mind! you can claim the relief between the amount you get paid and the amount allowed by the HMRC

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mileage/employee-factsheet.pdf

and the form P87

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf

at present the allowance is 40p for the first 10,000 miles, 25p after that

The GYH(M) bit can apply because if you commute to a temporary place of work (less than 2 years) you are entitled to claim. happy for a PM on how I filled everything out

Stuff
29th Mar 2011, 16:49
I've already submitted my self assessment but didn't know about this. Can I put in a p87 now or have I blown it because I didn't put it on the self assessment?

Rector16
29th Mar 2011, 17:51
I think that this discussion may be at cross-purposes. GYH is a separation allowance which is based on mileage, not an actual number of miles that you drive (because you might fly or go by train). The mileage bit is just to allow some sort of measurement of separation. You can claim tax allowance on miles that you have actually travelled - on duty (certainly) or otehrwise (maybe - not sure), but that isn't GYH it's MMA (don't you just love JPA!?).

Sloppy Link
29th Mar 2011, 18:37
Thank you for your replies, I think the key is the temporary bit. My main residence is at "A" and I am MUA at "B". Residence is where Mrs Link resides, I am in the Mess at B on the Over 37 package. My assisgnment order clearly states two years so I should be OK by simply calculating how many weekends I travelled and submitting that. I fully expect to be extended in post so then it will have to stop unless I am posted to somewhere else that Mrs Link doesn't like. Of course the question is it 2 calendar years or does the clock mark time when I am not in receipt of GYH(M) because of an Op tour or such like? I suspect the former. I shall try the tax office and see where I get. Results on here.....stand by.

SL

Sloppy Link
30th Mar 2011, 10:28
On Loan,
Thank you, you are a star.

SL

Wrathmonk
30th Mar 2011, 11:35
I was able to claim tax relief on Get You Home (Married) when I was voluntarily unaccompanied on a year long course. However, for my following voluntary unaccompanied tour in London, which was less than 2 years on the draft notice, it was declined as this was considered a 'proper' posting (irregardless of the time).

Whenurhappy
31st Mar 2011, 07:42
I'm sure someone like Al-R will correct me, but you can only claim for mileage actually driven (in other words, expenditure that you have had to make in relation to earning a salary). When I was travelling very widely with a previous appointment, we lived off-base so I used my own car to travel direct to locations. I could claim for this mileage (discounted by payments made by the RAF) but not for normal commuting mileage, ie from home to my office.

I enquired with the Tax Help Line (who were particularly helpful, I might add) when I was posted to London about the additional cost of commuting Mondays - Fridays some 300 miles each way, albeit by train. When the sums were added up - train ticket costs, bus fares etc - it worked out roughly cost-neutral, but Inland Revennue (as was) did query the cost-free accommodation in London and basically implied that I would be kicking the arse out of the system if I attempted to claimfor the additional mileage!

WP

rathebelucky
31st Mar 2011, 09:27
Does anyone know if you can claim a tax rebate on the difference between the taxmans allowance and the home to duty rate?

Whenurhappy
31st Mar 2011, 09:48
Yes - you can claim - but only for duty mileage (not normal commuting mileage). The difference was about 20 ppm. I've not needed to claim it for several years (being abroad, ya'know). Basically you claim for all the duty mileage that you have done in your own vehicle, calculate what the value is at the HMRC rate is and then deduct what you have received from the RAF. There are boxes on the self assessment form for this. If I could be bothered, I could dig out my old forms. But I can't be bothered, just at the moment!

Remember it doesn't include medical or sports trips, for example - only to get to your temporary place of work - eg live and usually work at, say, Brize Norton and take your own car to High Wycombe to attend a meeting. Separately, of course, there are insurance and liability issues, but let's not open that can of worms again.

Wrathmonk
31st Mar 2011, 17:04
whenurhappy

Yes - you can

Who is that in reply to? If it is to rathebelucky then your post is very confusing. HTD from your normal residence to your normal (i.e daily) place of work does not, AIUI, qualify for tax relief as per Sloppys original query. The only mileage that does is for home to temporary work place (course / meetings etc) as I think you are saying in your second paragraph.

If I am wrong how many years can you claim back overpaid tax ....?:O

Whenurhappy
1st Apr 2011, 06:29
Wrathmonth

I've edited it - you are, of course, correct - one cannot claim for HTD mileage (nor, normaly GYH(M)). In fairness, I did explain that in an earlier post!

Having run several property and holiday lets whilst in the Service, I have become acutely aware of what I can - and cannot claim for - and have been scrupulously honest in dealing with HMRC - although that didn't stop them having a pop at me about 2 years ago, seeking CGT on our principal private residence we sold in (Royal) Wootton Bassett in 2004. Fortunately, meticulous record keeping by me proved the tax people wrong and I eventually got a buttock-clenching, gritted teeth appology, along the lines of 'We have decided not to proceed with recovery at this time...'

Last point - for anyone planning to claim back any of these expenses - keep the records both electronically and hard copy for as long as you live (and then leave detailed notes for your beneficiaries - no kidding)...there is no practical so-called 'statute of limitations' in tax investigations.

Haben Sie eine schone Wochenende!