PDA

View Full Version : summit that bugged me

BUDGIE
4th Feb 2002, 10:28
I was on the jumpseat about two years back when I noticed the guy on the LHS had three stripes on shoulder and guy on RHS had four. Oddly enough I never saw reason to question the arrangement assuming it was some sort of command line training. But then again why would I be invited up front - allbeit i was on a staff ticket going for my final board with said airline and couldn't get on 1st flight due to line training for trainee first officer.. .Can someone explain? Said airline was aer lingus

Cheers. .BUDGIE

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]</p>

BUDGIE
5th Feb 2002, 00:29
guess the lack of response is indicitive of the contempt this question is regarded with or no-one has an idea.

cheers anyway. .BUDGIE

Fresca
5th Feb 2002, 00:50
I don't know what airline that wa, but I know some airlines always have the PF (Pilot Flying) in the LHS and the PNF in the RH. When the captain is PNF he sit then in the RHS, however he retains the overal authoroty onbord, only he sit in the RHS when performing as PNF.. .He moves to the LHS on the back leg, when operating as PF.

Avman
5th Feb 2002, 00:59
There was a time when it wasn't uncommon for the PF (Pilot Flying) to occupy the L/H seat. Not really necessary now with the more modern a/c types. I also remember that when I was flying on NLM Fk-27s (years ago) the Captains were only three stripers.

Lucifer
5th Feb 2002, 01:36
As far as I know only some old Air Force types (eg P-3s) do that - it is more likely that the guy in the LHS was training for a command under a Captain who was dual-seat qualified as a trainer. He flies as a Captain but not yet promoted while on-line on the course.

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: Lucifer ]</p>