PDA

View Full Version : Fulbeck Tragedy - 22nd April 1945

daze_gone_buy
28th Mar 2011, 15:55
I am trying to find some information on a member of the crew of PB463 that crashed at Fulbeck on 22nd April 1945. Do any ppruners have any information or access to information that may help?

Thanks in advance

DGB

RegDep
28th Mar 2011, 18:26
I trust you seen this:Aircraft Losses (http://www.flystyrt.dk/default.asp?id=523)

Old-Duffer
28th Mar 2011, 20:18
The aircraft, a Lancaster III of 49 Sqn, was flying from Fulbeck to Syerston. The pilot appears to have decided to do a farewell 'beat up' but during this the aircraft hit the ground. It crashed into a building and then into a group of airmen who were parading nearby.

The crew of six was killed and 15 on the ground were killed or died of their injuries later.

I have pinched this info from Bill Chorley's book: "Bomber Command Losses - 1945" and can quote you the names if you wish.

Old Duffer

daze_gone_buy
29th Mar 2011, 07:54
Thanks both, have got the basic details of the incident, trying to find out more about the flight engineer FS Cyril Walker and his earlier ops, as I have discovered a family connection.

His sister is still alive and would like to fill in some gaps in his short life, he was only 20 when he died. The accident happened only 3 days before the sqn suspended ops at the end of the war - tough break.

Thanks again

Old-Duffer
29th Mar 2011, 17:00
The record of sorties flown by Cyril Walker will be available in the RAF Form 541 for the squadron. This document and the squadron monthly diary (the RAF Form 540) are available at the National Archives. You can search this yourself on a visit or employ a researcher to copy the documents for you.

His Record of Service is available to surviving next of kin. This can be obtained from the Personnel Disclosures Dept at Trenchard Hall, RAF Cranwell, NG34 8HB. There is a fee and proof of relationship is required.

There might be a 49 Sqn Association but as the sqn was last disbanded in April 1965, members might be few and far between.

It might be that such a large loss of life would have resulted in press coverage in the Lincoln/Grantham press, even in the days of censure. It is also possible that somebody might have put a memorial of some sort in the local church or perhaps near the site of the airfield - all lines of enquiry.

Good Luck

Old Duffer

daze_gone_buy
29th Mar 2011, 18:32
Thanks again, will report back when I find more

Regards

DGB

Fox3WheresMyBanana
31st Mar 2011, 22:23
The National Archives down at Kew are really helpful. You can register online and even reserve the documents you need so they are there when you visit. Makes the researching of the 541, etc, a breeze.

paulo100
17th Jul 2012, 21:00
My father, FO Bernard (Mike) Geoghegan, should have been on that Lancaster but he was stood down because of severe toothache. He flew many operations with the pilot, FO Elkington and therefore I am sure he would have known FS Cyril Walker. I have my father's log book which states 'F/O Elkington and crew killed. A/C crashed after take off from Fulbeck' Dated 22.4.45. Many of the pages in the log preceding this note list my father flying with F/O Elkington so I can only imagine how he actually felt when writing his brief note.

RFCC
21st Jul 2012, 20:38
If you didn't already know, "576851 Walker, Cyril Ivan" was a Halton Apprentice - 40th Entry.
The details can be found here (http://www.oldhaltonians.co.uk). Go to 'Tribute; and click on 'Roll Of Honour'.

T-21
22nd Jul 2012, 06:12
Very good report here http://www.49squadron.co.uk/Files/THE%20FULBECK%20TRAGEDY.pdf