PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between a Spin & A Snap Roll

Jane-DoH
28th Mar 2011, 00:08
Is the difference between a spin and a snap-roll basically speed related and the application of aileron (snap-roll)?

Machinbird
28th Mar 2011, 00:47
A spin is normally entered from 1 g flight. A snap roll is entered in accelerated flight, i.e. while pulling some g. I have never needed aileron for a snap roll entry. If you continue to hold the pro spin controls after a snap roll entry, most aircraft will continue into a conventional spin.
Jets and transport aircraft, now that is a different story.:ooh:

galaxy flyer
28th Mar 2011, 01:37
Pretty much which direction is the flight--vertically down (spin) or horizontal (snap roll). Please don't try in a jet powered plane--not meant for spinning, but jet fighters can depart in ways that look like a combined spin and snap.

GF

BOAC
28th Mar 2011, 07:42
Just to 'tidy up', there, Jane:-

'Correct' (ie 'in-spin') use of aileron will accelerate a 'snap roll' and can be used in, for example, a 'Porteus' manoeuvre (qv).

A 'snap roll' can be made in any direction including up or down whereas the classic (ie fully developed) 'spin' requires a downward vector.

A 'jet powered plane' is quite capable of a 'snap roll' - I think the poster means ANY transport/large aircraft.

bingofuel
28th Mar 2011, 07:56
I remember a thread on here a year or so ago,regarding a Hawker 800 that was snap rolled. The pictures showed rather a lot of creases in the fuselage skin! So tha fact that an aircraft can be snap rolled does not mean it is advisable!