PDA

View Full Version : Electronic databases in LSA and Experimental Aircraft

Sunfish
27th Mar 2011, 00:13
Question for the experts.

On an IFR equipped aircraft you are required to maintain an up to date Jeppesen navigation database if you are running a glass cockpit, presumably without paper charts at all.

Now switch to VFR and Experimental (VFR) am I right in thinking that since something like a Dynon Skyview, Garmin 396, etc is not TSO'd it can't be the sole means of navigation. You have to keep current paper charts for that. Does that therefore exonerate you from updating databases?

mcgrath50
27th Mar 2011, 01:20
Yes if it isn't used for primary navigation you don't need to have a current database. Obviously though things may not be in the right place!

Sunfish
27th Mar 2011, 09:04
Yes, but the terrain doesn't change. Towns don't move and I wouldn't trust any database to navigate to tight tolerances. Notams will do me.

Jabawocky
27th Mar 2011, 12:11
VFR minimum equipment is all you need.
Everything else just makes the task easier.

If you wish to spend a fair bit of time above more than 4/8ths cloud then you need to start thinking more about it all.

Given your choice of weapon Sunnie....I would think a Dynon D6 and a G495 should be more than you need.

If you wanted to go all out...get a D180, and AP74 and 2 servo's and a Garmin495. Now you have all you need plus more. If you add any extra stuff in your panel you are wasting money, time, and adding weight. Just not justified.

If you want more fancy stuff and want to spend more at the risk of over capitalising, go the skyview and other TSO nav gear.

J:ok:

CFPlnr
27th Mar 2011, 13:56
[QUOTE]On an IFR equipped aircraft you are required to maintain an up to date Jeppesen navigation database if you are running a glass cockpit, presumably without paper charts at all.
/QUOTE]

why is it required to be Jepp

VH-XXX
27th Mar 2011, 20:24
So let me get this right, you're gonna set up your 65 knot Experimental machine for IFR?

Joker 10
27th Mar 2011, 23:17
Why not go the whole way and set up for known icing as well

VH-XXX
27th Mar 2011, 23:41
Why not go the whole way and set up for known icing as well

Good idea Joker. You can't be too careful with known ice these days.

I would expect that a BRS would be something that you may not have considered that you should have too.

Joker 10
28th Mar 2011, 03:12
And ejection seats !!!!!!

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Mar 2011, 04:33
TCAS ?

Dr :8

Joker 10
28th Mar 2011, 06:45
EGPWS ??????

VH-XXX
28th Mar 2011, 07:07
Dunno Dr., I'd say go straight to ADSB. Why mess around when your VNE is 80 knots I say.