PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical and (nearly) one-eyed pilots

windy1
26th Mar 2011, 12:30
My JAA Class 2 Medical has been suspended because an arterial disease has impaired the sight in one eye. The other eye is fine.

In the affected eye, acuity (Snellen chart) around the central zone meets the Class 2 requirement. The main impairment is the visual field where some blind spots (scotoma?) have been created.

Q1 Does anyone know what the Visual Field Requirement is in numbers, probabilities etc ? I shall be having periodic Humphrey style Field Tests so having this info would be useful to judge where I am.

Q2 Is that VF requirement a pass fail, or is there any discretion whatsoever on actual tests result.

I am aware of alternative licenses with less demanding Eyesight requirements, but I want to home in on Class 2 Visual Filed minimum standard

kui2324
26th Mar 2011, 13:05
Having looked at the CAA vision requirements it looks like they are currently revamping their guidance. This page for initial medical is still available http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_Substandard_vision(Notes_for_CFI).pdf

Probably best to speak to UK CAA direct as even AMEs may not be aware of the new guidance if it's not been released.

Hope you can get back flying.

kui