PDA

View Full Version : Taildragger flying (video)

Flying Lawyer
24th Mar 2011, 23:41
wSbaD8u0v58

FL

Saint-Ex
25th Mar 2011, 10:11
Interesting. I still believe training should start on tail-draggers. Appreciation of 1.3 Vs is then instinctive and will improve approach and landing on any type. I cannot understand how anyone can spend several hundred thousand on a P51 and not a few hundred learning how to fly it.

ancientaviator62
25th Mar 2011, 10:40
Super video,
when I did my taildragger training I was taught that in a crosswind keeping the into wind wing down was equally as important as 'pedalling' something most of the 'arrivals' on the video did not do. If this meant arriving on one wheel then with care that was OK.

kluge
25th Mar 2011, 14:29
IIRC On the Pitts S2 slide slipping in a x-wind required kicking the nose off into wind on the approach, keep into wind wing up to maintain rwy heading. But the nose should be only 5-10 deg off rwy heading to minimise pendulum effect when kicking straight for the flair, During the flaire (at which point you cant see ahead and using peripheral vision) the into wind wing would be dropped to help with directional stability and maintain such as you touch on 3points and continue withe roll (feet going like crazy to maintain direction).

I once had brain lock and did not put the nose into wind. I couldn't fly an approach on rwy heading and after two tries got very concerned and requested the cross rway on which I landed with a greaser. After I landed and discussed with the owner who corrected my mistake did I realise what I had done wrong on that a/c type.

So A/C specific and in the POH I guess.

Doodlebug
25th Mar 2011, 15:01
How to keep landing the Super Cub tug in a howling crosswind when all the glider-pilots want to keep launching so's to get at the ridges? Why, land without dropping the cable first. This keeps you from weathercocking, more or less. Then, when the speed drops even more, handlers dart in from the sides to grab hold of the struts, turn you around, and march you back to the threshold! :ok:

(never really got the S2A under control, would sort of close both the power and my eyes just off the deck, and wait for the crash... :( )