PDA

View Full Version : Bathurst Island Footy Grand Final

fso28
25th Mar 2011, 00:20
Heads up ladies and gents,
unlike years gone by DN ATC won't be doing all the hard work this year, BN Centre will be in the loop. The AIP SUP (H11/11) looks similar to last year, but the option of cancelling sar for IFR when leaving DN APP frequency has been removed.
I think that's going to make it very busy for pilots....

mustman
25th Mar 2011, 00:28
How many planes are usually doing this run??

Skynews
25th Mar 2011, 00:35
Bathurst Island is a bit like Bankstown, with 1 runway for arrivals and departures on a normal day. Having to back track either after landing or for takeoff creates minor hassles.

Trying to get in and out of Darwin is the difficult part.

Chief Wiggam
25th Mar 2011, 01:07
I agree; from memory.

The pilots' had no problems separating themselves in the old CTAF regardless of aircraft size, speed or volume.

They should make Darwin a CTAF for the way back :ok:

PLovett
25th Mar 2011, 07:24
The problem usually arises on departure when there is a line-up of aircraft to enter and backtrack and there is some silly sod who wants to land - fun - NOT. :eek:

Playing with BN Centre shouldn't be a problem - when doing the Maxwell Creek run a couple of years ago I was always able to cancel SARWATCH through them whilst in the circuit at Maxwell Creek.

ZappBrannigan
26th Mar 2011, 01:19
I've never understood the logic of cancelling SAR in the circuit - yep it's legal, and convenient at places like BTI - but you're officially saying "yep you can forget about me now" just before commencing the (second) most dangerous phase of flight.

And there's a disturbing increase in "request return code" followed by "no joy HF" around the islands, meaning "I can't be bothered getting new traffic information after my 5 minute turnaround, even though I'm required to".