PDA

View Full Version : Camooweal AD shut..why aircraft still land ther??

ratso
23rd Mar 2011, 11:40
Spoke to one of the guys who look after camooweal AD. Its NOTAM says closed except RFD. Why do aircraft still land there with a runway that is damaged, cross beside the windsock to indicate this also.
Am I wrong in saying the first aircraft to prang because of the damaged runway will loose on insurance???
The guys who look after it mowing lawns etc are really worried.

Two_dogs
23rd Mar 2011, 12:26
It can't be too damaged if the RUFDUS are still landing there.
They have a pretty tight control on safety.

Agree with you though on the subject of insurance. I wouldn't like to try and claim after landing at a closed aerodrome.

converge200
23rd Mar 2011, 12:30
Have you seen the strip yourself ratso? Are you saying that other aircraft are landing there other then the RFDS? The strip is in better condition then some that the RFDS land at. Maybe the guys mowing the lawn should just concentrate on not mowing down the lights.

QSK?
23rd Mar 2011, 23:26
I would hazard a guess and say it is because many pilots don't access or read NOTAMs any more and when they get to Camooweal they are suddenly surprised to see the white cross but they don't have fuel to go anywhere else, so the only option is to land regardless.

Aerodynamisist
24th Mar 2011, 05:15
I went in there 12 months ago and the strip was in good condition, apart from the need to get the shot gun out and clear away a few birds. Maybe the recent rain has damaged it. There is no fuel (or any other facilities) apart from a few barrels laid out in the grass with various operators names on them.

AIREHEAD
24th Mar 2011, 20:09
How hard is it these days to access notams and weather? As far as I'm concernerned there's no excuse for landing on a closed runway

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Mar 2011, 21:54
......or it could be a response to what is seen by local pilots as an unnecessary and very inconvenient closure of what is an important facility at this time of the year when all weather strips are few and far between in that part of the world and the road are impassable - even to 4 x 4s.

As I understand it, the closure is a response to a patch of damaged bitumen on the runway. Most lighties would have no trouble avoiding the damaged area.

But RFDS can still use it? So the runway is obviously serviceable with caution!

Mark the damaged area! Put in a displaced threshold! Write an appropriate NOTAM.

Get it open guys!

Dr :8

Waghi Warrior
25th Mar 2011, 22:58
I agree AIREHEAD, its really displays a total lack of airmanship in my view. When I learnt to fly I was taught to overfly uncontrolled airstrips to look for the obvious, ie obstructions on the runway including white crosses to name a couple of logical reasons.

The associated social problems due to the geoghraphical location, doesn't give anyone justification to land on a closed runway unless off course it's an emergency.