PDA

View Full Version : Please help a bewildered visitor to the Sydney GA Community!

JamesTigris
22nd Mar 2011, 17:44
Some may recall that I posted here a while ago about my ambitions to obtain a Certificate of Validation and fly on my UK PPL(A) during my upcoming visit to Sydney in April. The process was not simple but I believe I have now been successful and should have a CoV in the post as we speak.

I know the admin side has left me with little time to prepare but I am determined to make the most of it and am now hassling all the CFIs at Bankstown and Camden and beyond to see what I can get organised. Ideally I would have an aircraft to myself for a few days and go off to explore the local airfields and scenery.

I would really appreciate anyone who flies out there to let me know what I should be trying to do, where the best places are to visit, the best clubs to get instruction from, hire aircraft and meet people at. And I'll say it again, if you fancy joining me, and can put up with my griping about sunburn, feel free to PM!

-JT

Seabreeze
23rd Mar 2011, 02:34
Suggest you try Schofields flying club, based at Bankstown. They have a wide range of aeroplanes and many instructors. They should be able to sort you out.

Schofields Flying Club Home Page (http://www.schofields-flying-club.com.au/)

Cross country out into the bush will be very different from what you have experienced in the UK or Europe. The cities and towns are smaller here, and rivers are either non- existent or > 3 miles wide......... Rarely are lakes the same size in reality as depicted on a WAC.

have fun

Jack Ranga
23rd Mar 2011, 03:11
James,

I would really try and steer clear of Bankstown if you can. Unless you feel like walking home after your flight lessons. Salubrious it aint.

Go to Camden, much better, less time taxying, better value for your dollar. That or go to a regional location.

JamesTigris
23rd Mar 2011, 08:51
Thanks for the replies.

It is easy to find information on the schools at Bankstown and Camden, but I difficult to find out about the other 'regional' schools. Does anyone have any reccommendations?

Also, any reccommendations on which airfields I could visit, particularly for an overnight stop, if I was lucky enough to get an Aircraft to myself for 2-3 days?

-JT

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Mar 2011, 10:27
Didn't they have their big night out a couple of weekends back??? :confused:

Jack Ranga
23rd Mar 2011, 10:36
Horatio, you're regional aren't you??

Flyer517
23rd Mar 2011, 11:00
Haven't been there for quite a while but Camden Haven up near Port Macquarie is a nice part of the world. Cute little strip to visit.

bentleg
23rd Mar 2011, 21:47
James have another read of your earlier posts. Where to go has been answered.