PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod/Harrier Pilots - atleast somebody wants you........

EESDL
22nd Mar 2011, 12:30
From this weeks Officer associaton POtW

Message regarding recruitment of RAF pilots to the Canadian Air Force

In light of the recent cutbacks of RAF pilots, the Canadian Forces has stood up the Air Force Intake team from 1 Canadian Air Division HQ. If you have any friends who are affected, please let them know that we are recruiting. The word that we are recruiting your pilots, specifically Harrier and Nimrod, came straight from our Chief of Air Staff at my Joint Studies Session in January; therefore it is not a rumour. In fact, the Air Force Intake Team is in London this week working out a plan. Here is how they should proceed:

Contact the AF Intake Team Leader Capt Bill Lewko first at [email protected] and let him know that they are interested.

For more details on the recruiting process contact the person in charge of foreign military applicants at Canadian Forces Recruiting Group HQ - Capt Graham White at [email protected] or call him at 001 705 424 1200 extension 2242.

Go to the recruiting web site http://www.forces.ca/en/home/ to learn about the recruiting process, and then proceed to this link FORCES.CA - Pilot (http://www.forces.ca/en/job/pilot-32) to see what a pilot would be employed to do. Check out the Air Force link for general information Air Force | DND/CF (http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/index-eng.asp).

Tell your friends that although we are working with Citizenship and Immigration Canada to streamline the recruiting process, it is their process that takes between 18 months and 2 years, however, Recruiting Group considers qualifications to be valid for 5 years.

Dengue_Dude
22nd Mar 2011, 12:47
I've just had a look and it certainly looks kosher.

I love Canada and if I was in the position of the poor sods axed, I'd certainly look at them.

Best of luck to all concerned, hope it works out.

Foghorn Leghorn
22nd Mar 2011, 12:56
I should think that GR4 pilots would also be interested.

Wrathmonk
22nd Mar 2011, 13:01
Genuine question - if all these Nimrod and Harrier pilots have actually lost their 'jobs' why were there no front line pilot redundancies in the recently announced Tranche 1 (unless I misread it, which may be the case;))? Have they all gone to staff appointments or other fleets? Similarly what about the QFIs following the wind down of the Training system? Have they all left at break points / natural wastage? I assume Manning are leaving the (front line) pilot redundancies (if there are to be any) until the very end to see how many leave of their own accord and do not therefore need to be paid redundancy money.:hmm:

Willard Whyte
22nd Mar 2011, 13:12
It's a damn fine question. Of course allegedly the number of pilots we need will be roughly the same in 2015 as the number we have on strength now, following a dip in required numbers in a couple of years time. All this also allegedly allows for natural wastage.

We'll see, but it'll be too late once, if, the numbers are found to be askew.

Could be the last?
22nd Mar 2011, 16:40
My understanding is that they are also looking for specific trades in rearcrew as well:

CH47
QHCI
SAR

Can anyone confirm?

just another jocky
22nd Mar 2011, 16:44
My understanding is that every GR9 pilot was offered another cockpit, GR4 or Tiffie I think.

edit: ....every RAF GR9 pilot....

Wrathmonk
22nd Mar 2011, 17:07
JAJ

Thank you.

Anyone know if the RN have offered rotary cockpits to their ex-GR9 boys (I haven't seen sight of the Navy redundancy fields) or have they all disappeared to the States to fly F18 (and/or AV8B??). Indeed, were any RAF cockpits made available (either on "exchange" or following transfer to the light blue)??

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Mar 2011, 17:21
Emigrated to Canada last year - can highly recommend it.
Bit parky in winter, mind!

1st rule of winter survival - don't eat yellow snow!

SammySu
22nd Mar 2011, 17:48
Wrathmonk

For those who were currently frontline on GR9 answers are no, no and no.

A couple of OCU studes offered rotary, poss 1 prev qual'd GR9 to F18, thats about it. :(

Wrathmonk
22nd Mar 2011, 17:52
Sammy

Thank you - indeed a :(.

BEagle
22nd Mar 2011, 17:59
1st rule of winter survival - don't eat yellow snow!

Because that'll probably be where someone took a mouthful of Molson or Labatt and spat it out!

Have you learned to say 'abooot' yet, F3WMB.....eh?

Mighty fine place, Canada. At least they expect snow and know how to deal with it....eh?

chopabeefer
22nd Mar 2011, 18:39
The Canadians ARE recruiting and have vacancies, BUT they are looking for qualified and experienced guys, so recently redundant students (even post wings) may not meet the criteria...but you never know. I do know they are looking for Pilots qualified on C130J, C17, and CH47. In addition, pilots (and particularly instructors) qualified on types that they fly may well be entertained. The best way to see where you sit is to contact Bill Lewko, with an email detailing your experience (types/hours/tours/locations/quals etc.) and see what he has to say.

I apologize profusely to the gentlemen who work slightly closer to the C of G than the pilots - I don't know what opportunities may/may not be on offer.

If anyone needs further info please do not hesitate to PM me.

just another jocky
22nd Mar 2011, 19:05
I bet there'll be an upper age limit. :{

chopabeefer
22nd Mar 2011, 19:19
Yep. 55. They serve to 60.

just another jocky
22nd Mar 2011, 20:19
Yep. 55. They serve to 60.

In that case, I wonder what the return of service is? :)

Foghorn Leghorn
22nd Mar 2011, 20:21
Additionally and as importantly, JAJ, how quick can you leave the RAF. CF-18, yes please!

OpsLoad8
22nd Mar 2011, 21:25
They are actively seeking experienced rearcrew as well. ISK have a number of people who have expressed interest - Bill Lewko is the place to go for information. He is just back in the office and is a fountain of knowledge.

Personally, I am looking forward to the move but it does take 18 months or so to complete.

Albanian Seahorse
23rd Mar 2011, 06:55
Wrathmonk

For those who were currently frontline on GR9 answers are no, no and no.

A couple of OCU studes offered rotary, poss 1 prev qual'd GR9 to F18, thats about it.

I understand that there were approx 25 studes in the RN FJ pipeline (pre-OCU). 8 were offered F-18, and rest were offered rotary. I personally know one of each. Happy to be corrected.

StopStart
24th Mar 2011, 06:46
Tis all true. I'm currently trying to cobble together all the relevant paperwork that they require. As mentioned above, drop Capt Lewko a line with a quick CV and he'll filter it on to the appropriate desk if you're suitable.

I'd hoped that I could couple this with redundancy however I'm led to believe that pilot figures had been achieved by sacking the trainees and through the hoped-for PVR application increases.

grumpyhammer
28th Mar 2011, 11:20
They require experienced aircrew. Bill is the man to contact and he will generate interest (or not if you do not fit) he will give you all the info you need. There is no right answer as it is case dependent. They serve to 60 years old and I believe the norm is, they want you to serve at least 9 years. However, you need to get citizenship within 4 years as you start work there on a citizenship waiver.

Speak to Bill.

Nowthen
28th Mar 2011, 20:29
For those looking at Officer side of the house it is worth noting that if you do not have a degree already you will have to get a degree, or demonstrate significant progress towards one, during your 'contract' time. Experience may get you in the door but in order to stay you need the degree. If you do not then, as it stands today, you will not be offered any significant extensions to service and may only be offered rolling one year extensions while you complete that degree. Worst case you face being released at the end of your time.

Dengue_Dude
29th Mar 2011, 11:40
So the Greenshield Flt Lts luck in again eh . . . ?

You all remember them of course, degree in under-water basket weaving.

Oh those were the days!!!

Fg Off aircraft captains . . . the tears are running down my trouser legs as we speak :ok:

Wander00
29th Mar 2011, 14:54
Wot - only fg offs - I was a plt off capt, and that with the wg cdr boss in the back - which led to an interesting airborne disciussion about diversions one shaggy Friday afternoon - I still only had a white card!