PDA

View Full Version : 737-700 - engine out on rotate help

TurbofanDude
22nd Mar 2011, 10:57
Hi guys,

I was just wondering. I was simulating some engine out at V1, V2, and VR yesterday and I was able to abort the takeoff when I did it early, and when I failed the engine at like 215 knots and 1000 feet, but when I fail it as I'm pulling up to rotate, I can't save it.

What should I do? Assuming Flaps 5 for departure on a runway of reasonable length, and the fail occurs once the nose gear is entirely up and the main gear are about to pull up.

Thanks for the advice

Denti
22nd Mar 2011, 10:59
Go buy a typerating, that should train you in those things.

Piltdown Man
22nd Mar 2011, 12:07
I don't think this an aeronautical technical question. So I'd speak to Microsoft or whoever made the simulator program you are using and get their advice.

PM

ImbracableCrunk
22nd Mar 2011, 17:45
Try Avsim.com - they're the experts for all questions sim.

Jane-DoH
22nd Mar 2011, 18:05
To counter the yawing from the engine failure, boot in opposite rudder to keep the arrest yawing and restore original heading; if the engine fails right at rotate, you might want to either keep the nose on the runway until you reach V2 (you said it was just before the main wheels lifted off, just lower the nose a touch) or if you already are in the air, flatten out the climb a little bit to help you accelerate better until you reach V2 then proceed from there. There should be enough power on the opposite engine to maintain a sufficient rate of climb, I suppose you can run the opposite engine up to 100% N1 to help things out a little though.

TurbofanDude
22nd Mar 2011, 19:39
Thanks for the idea, that was close to what I was doing, I was just having trouble keeping the thing airborne. I suppose if that happened I should turn off the Yaw Damper to get more control!

Please, I don't want sim answers. I'm not flying generic planes, I'm flying a 130$ 737 sim is very close to the real one (tested by myself sitting in the real one comparing system operations)

Microsoft could not answer my question even if I called to ask them.

porch monkey
23rd Mar 2011, 00:34
Obviously it isn't "real close" at all. The real sim and aircraft will do what you apparently can't, quite easily. You do need to speak to whoever wrote the software for your SIM.

sevenstrokeroll
23rd Mar 2011, 01:55
I haven't heard of turning off the yaw damper as a way of getting more control...are you ribbing me?

anyway...I have a feeling you are losing some sort of reference as the nose up means you can't look out the windshield if you are ''visual''. so get on instruments and stay there.

GlueBall
23rd Mar 2011, 04:25
engine out at V1, V2, and VR yesterday and I was able to abort the takeoff

Your hand should be off the thrust levers by V1. Your individualized procedure of aborting at or beyond V1 at a real airline would fail your sim check.:{