PDA

View Full Version : FAF call in NZ

framer
22nd Mar 2011, 05:45
Hi folk,
Heading into NZ this week and was brushing up on local rules. It surprised me in the AIP that a call to the tower was mandatory for both the final approach fix and also when you are visual with the ground when conducting an instrument approach in controlled airspace.
Can a local confirm for me that that is the case even on the ILS into Auckland or is the AIP over-ridden by something somewhere in another document? I ask because I used to be based there and my recollection is just contacting tower with POB once established on the ILS and the next call was them clearing me to land.
Either I was a slack arse back then or things have changed.
Cheers, framer

slackie
22nd Mar 2011, 06:37
Yes they are required calls, and no, noone makes them. "Slack-arses" one and all!!

framer
22nd Mar 2011, 07:59
Ha ha cheers mate, I might give em a shock in a couple of days time then :)

tinpis
22nd Mar 2011, 11:33
They is all gone power mad since they give 'em wireless
What was wrong with the light system?

27/09
22nd Mar 2011, 21:19
You'll find most make these calls (the FAF call at least, not always the visual call) at regional airports when doing a VOR, NDB, or GNSS approach but the visual calls seem to be rarely done at places like NZAA or NZWN on the ILS.

From what I have noticed, at regional airports at least, calling visual certainly helps the guy behind you in the approach sequence as he won't get his appproach clearance until you call visual or the tower can see you.

swh
22nd Mar 2011, 23:37
Does NZAA or NZWN actually have a FAF on the ILS ?

Normally an ILS has a FAP, and a LLZ a FAF.

slackie
23rd Mar 2011, 00:17
Tinnie... nothing wrong with lights, provided your aircraft has 2 sets of wings, is primarily made of wood and fabric, and you're landing on a big grassy area... not too flash (pun intended!) when you're being hunted down by that B77W on finals!!

27/09
23rd Mar 2011, 06:35
Normally an ILS has a FAP, and a LLZ a FAF You are correct.

I should have been a little more clear in my wording. The reference re NZWN and NZAA was really about the visual call

who_cares
23rd Mar 2011, 07:28
I believe the call is only required when outside of radar coverage

slackie
24th Mar 2011, 02:59
How does the pilot know when they are outside of radar coverage?:confused:

NZScion
24th Mar 2011, 03:14
@slackie, I think it's usually when you have not been identified, or after identification is terminated. If in doubt I assume I'm not identified. Happy to stand corrected though.

slackie
24th Mar 2011, 19:34
It was a rhetorical question.... the correct answer is "they don't"....

As the correct answer to "when does the controller know the aircraft is visual?" is "when the pilot tells you" (unless it's already on a Visual Approach).

Oktas8
25th Mar 2011, 08:15
How does the pilot know when they are outside of radar coverage?

Not really relevant to the OP... But AIP ENR section 1.1, paras 5.3 and 5.4 will give a pretty good idea as to who has radar and who doesn't. All approach calls still apply either way.

[edited to remove excessive grumpiness]

27/09
25th Mar 2011, 09:50
Hey Slackie,

Hasn't your location changed from that shown under your handle.