PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Side Stick operation ????

volare_737
22nd Mar 2011, 03:25
Looking for info on the basic side stick operation on the airbus.
Am I correct in saying the following :
In the roll move the side stick until you got the required bank angle and then centre the stick. In Pitch move the stick to get to the required pitch attitude and then centre the stick. The aircraft will then stay at that attitude until the reverse is applied.
The speed of moving the stick gives you the roll / pitch rate.
Is that correct ?????

waren9
22nd Mar 2011, 03:52
Not quite.

In normal law, the sidestick commands either a roll rate or a g loading in pitch.

Neutral stick is a command for zero roll rate and constant g. The further you displace the stick from neutral, the more you get.

volare_737
22nd Mar 2011, 04:09
Thanks - so is it correct to say. If I fly straight and level and I want to turn left, I move the stick left and once lets say at 30 deg AOB I centre the stick, it will keep turning until I roll the wings level again.

Ka8 Flyer
22nd Mar 2011, 12:59
I would slighty disagree with Waren9, even though the books agree with his statement.
My understanding: if you release the side stick, the aircraft will maintain a 0 vertical acceleration condition.

Otherwise, if it would maintain 1 G, the aircraft would descend as you banked...

Maintaining 0 vertical acceleration as you bank the aircraft will keep your current vertical speed constant (ie level flight if that's what you had at the beginning)

I have heard the terminology of "1G and auto trim for turns" which, in its essence, is the same as my statement but with less "physical / mathematical correctness" if I may:bored:

volare_737
23rd Mar 2011, 00:00
Thanks all !!!!

waren9
23rd Mar 2011, 06:20
Ka8

I was talking about pitch and roll in isolation.

The FCTM goes on to say that for turns less than 33° bank, pitch correction is automatically provided. I.e. you dont need to hold back pressure to maintain height in a turn.