View Full Version : Strange are the ways of the Mods

Tankertrashnav
21st Mar 2011, 18:27
I havent ever crossed swords with the mods, although I once had a thread mysteriously pulled on R & N (nothing surprises me there). But this one puzzled me

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/446219-solitary-life.html

That got closed, so he had another try

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/446316-solitary-life-2-a.html

- that one only lasted two posts.

All seemed quite innocent to me. There was no aggro, even though the guy quite shamelessly admitted to living in Belgium. So what was it - do the Mods just have a low boredom threshold, or am I missing something?

Wonder how long this one will last?

Ozzy
21st Mar 2011, 18:29
Agony Aunt related?

Ozzy

BandAide
21st Mar 2011, 18:29
I think the problem was the thread belonged in Agaony Aunt, but seeing as how there is no more Agony Aunt, it had to be trashed, like a navigator.

Tankertrashnav
21st Mar 2011, 18:30
Arent we allowed Agony Aunt stuff?

G-CPTN
21st Mar 2011, 18:33
Ani fule kno that referring to Ag*ny A*nt (http://www.pprune.org/6319087-post10.html) is not allowed :=

Tankertrashnav
21st Mar 2011, 18:37
Oh yeah, just re-read ROE - and as BandAide pointed out, I am (was) a nav so you'll have to make allowances.

Think it's a shame though.

goudie
21st Mar 2011, 18:45
Think it's a shame though.

Would offer commiserations TTN but .......................well them's the rules mate.

ChristiaanJ
21st Mar 2011, 18:46
Strange are the ways of the ModsI agree.... especially since it started life as a JB thread.
I would say I've seen far weirder JB threads.

Mod with a bad-hair day? Or one who doesn't like Belgians?

I think we should be told.....

CJ

Wholigan
21st Mar 2011, 18:55
I agree.... especially since it started life as a JB thread.

Actually, the first thread was moved into JB and rapidly gained the classic "Agony Aunt" posts.

From the JB RoE:
If your thread/post is inane, offensive, whining, repetitive, provincial, boring, panders to the lowest common denominator or is of the 'Agony Aunt' variety it will be deleted.

The second one was started after the first one was closed with an opening line of:

Since the mods closed the original topic without no reason i decided to start a second one.

How long did you think it was likely to last then??? ;)

ChristiaanJ
21st Mar 2011, 19:07
Thanks, Wholigan,

"Agony Aunt" indeed seems to cover it.... but that would have covered a few other, still existng, JB threads as well,

CJ

Capetonian
21st Mar 2011, 19:12
Since many people use Pprune for personal concerns such as this, maybe consideration should be given to allocating a place for such matters. I realise this deviates from the 'aviation' related requirement but this guy is a pilot so ..... why not?

Slasher
21st Mar 2011, 19:32
All been said before (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/237600-anybody-else-missing-agony-aunt.html) Cape. And here (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/60109-agony-aunt-incredible.html) too.

It was a pretty good forum (http://www.pprune.org/agony-aunt-forum/137024-mens-spotty-bums.html) as I recall. I liked Marge a lot even though she didn't approve of me at times. :E

Wholigan
21st Mar 2011, 19:38
As has been said, there used to be an Agony Aunt forum.

Agony Aunt Forum. A forum for those CRM problems that are just too embarrassing to bring up at the annual refresher. Tell the PPRuNe agony aunt 'Marge' your problems and she will try and provide those heartfelt answers you need.

A policy decision was made to remove it, so I guess that's it.

11Fan
21st Mar 2011, 19:43
The crack Whack-a-Mole Team strikes again.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3446/3749434742_0bef982b74.jpg

And no cracks arount the cracks youse guys....

Marge
21st Mar 2011, 19:54
Hello my dears.

It does seem such a long time since the days when Danny and Mr Towers would call me in the small hours of the morning to seek advice for their often insignificant and trifling little problems. I told them, find a good woman, settle down and offload this to some American corporation with squillions to squander, and you won't need me any more.

Anyway these days I am a part time advisor to that nice Mr Obama. The one in the suit not the one in the the cave. So I am afraid you will have to sort out your own problems. Gone are the days, when when PPRuNers staring into the abyss have me there to give them a little push.

Greetings from Rio.

Love Marge
xx

hellsbrink
21st Mar 2011, 20:26
There was no aggro, even though the guy quite shamelessly admitted to living in Belgium

I take offence at that, especially as I thought he was somewhere else but came from België.

Hell, if you can't make friends here you're better off slashing your wrists because there's no hope for you.

lomapaseo
21st Mar 2011, 22:01
OK, I'[ll bite

Who is Agony Aunt?

How does one offend a rule that mentions a relative?

Just askin before I get binned

can we have that stupid dog thread back instead?

stir stir bubble and boil

G-CPTN
21st Mar 2011, 22:09
The other no-no (which ani fule kno) is 'do not start another thread on the same topic if it has already been locked' . . .

rh200
21st Mar 2011, 22:16
Who is Agony Aunt?

Are thanks, I thought I might be the only one and was to embarresed to ask:O

green granite
21st Mar 2011, 22:23
Ah, bring back Tall 'n Tasty :E

Loose rivets
21st Mar 2011, 23:06
And Six. :E

This message is too short. Okay, bring back Too Short.

Oh, I slay myself sometimes.:p

Shack37
22nd Mar 2011, 00:44
[QUOTE] Are thanks, I thought I might be the only one and was to embarresed to ask:O[
/QUOTE]
An agony aunt is someone you ask questions of that you'd be too embarrassed to ask anyone else eg "I have a large pimple under my foreskin, is this puberty"?

Cacophonix
22nd Mar 2011, 01:47
Mods are not having mid life crises. Not one of them wants to indevertantly leave their other boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife behind.

Girls don't sweat it and tell you are a complete bastard even if they are menopausly engaged, unless they are!

Of course who knows what the RAF thinks? Should we care?

Of course for the rest there are mods! :-)

sisemen
22nd Mar 2011, 02:12
If your thread/post is inane, offensive, whining, repetitive, provincial, boring, panders to the lowest common denominator or is of the 'Agony Aunt' variety it will be deleted.

And here's me thinking it was canned because of the first few reasons - not the Agony Aunt bit. :}

Howard Hughes
22nd Mar 2011, 03:33
You just don't know the secret handshake!;)

Dan_Brown
22nd Mar 2011, 05:20
HH

Yes pprune at towers it is rife. Watch your back. Me? I don't give a damn.

redsnail
22nd Mar 2011, 08:42
Marge how great it is to see you post again in these hallowed forums.
How is Rio? No extradition for that nasty little business after your last trip abroad?
It is easy to get confused between 8 hours bottle to throttle and 50' from a naked flame. We all make mistakes.

As the advert says "should have gone to Specsavers"

Cacophonix
22nd Mar 2011, 08:48
A word from the ladies eh!

2Ji3YIBGcow

DX Wombat
22nd Mar 2011, 12:08
Strange are the ways of the Mods And PPRuNe-suicidal the ways of those who question them. :eek:

KBPsen
22nd Mar 2011, 12:40
It a bit like airport security really.

The rules are posted for all to see, but how they are applied is never the same two days in a row.

Some are selected for additional screening, either by random or unknown criteria. Or because someone just felt like it.

Look your screener in the eye and you know the fun has just started.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Mar 2011, 21:52
Quote:

And here's me thinking it was canned because of the first few reasons - not the Agony Aunt bit. :}

All I can say it's a good job they don't observe those ROE on Military Aircrew, or here's one that would have been canned years ago

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/223303-my-beautiful-weber.html

In fact it's up to post 814, although it's on its winter break at the moment. Still, if the barbeque fans want to bore each other about 1001 ways to incinerate a sausage then let them , I say, but by the same token, can't we have Agony Aunt back?

timmcat
22nd Mar 2011, 22:00
Many in here will remember that I launched a 'breakaway' board many years ago...

I had a 'A***y A**t' forum in there..... twas a total pain in the ass and I ended up sacking and banning the mod.. ;)

mustpost
22nd Mar 2011, 22:24
Wow! Reddo, spot on.. I thought it was an illusion.

Marge, you never write, you never phone, 4 years and now this - this - diatribe. What gives?

PS dropbox code has changed, usual protocol, etc

bugg smasher
22nd Mar 2011, 22:26
"I have a large pimple under my foreskin, is this puberty"?

The visuals are just too frightening to contemplate.

What was the answer anyways?

BOAC
22nd Mar 2011, 22:34
"I have a large pimple under my foreskin, is this puberty"? - you sure it ain't yer willy?

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2011, 23:09
I had a 'A***y A**t' forum in there..... twas a total pain in the ass and I ended up sacking and banning the mod..Timmcat, what did the two have in common? :}

I don't think that it's AA threads/forums that are the PITAs but the common denominator which was underlying them both. :oh:

Cheers

Whirls

BandAide
22nd Mar 2011, 23:23
The mods know exactly what they are doing and have built Pprune into a premier aviation website.

If you don't like something about it or have a whiny complaint let me just be the first to show you the door, and good riddance!

Posters are born a lot faster than we can p!ss them off.

bugg smasher
23rd Mar 2011, 00:28
And you Sir, are one dim-sum.

Obey and stay, stray and be gone.

Is that all this really is?

rh200
23rd Mar 2011, 01:03
Mods are human too (I think), they can have a bad day, get of bed on the wrong side or get a knock back just like the rest of us, you have to take the good with the bad.

visibility3miles
23rd Mar 2011, 03:25
lomapaseo
A what (versus who) is Agony Aunt:

Equals Dear Abby in the U.S.

lomapaseo
23rd Mar 2011, 04:08
Visibility3miles

A what (versus who) is Agony Aunt:

Equals Dear Abby in the U.S.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm dense.

Could you give me an example of an opening line in a thread that gets binned as AA?

Slasher
23rd Mar 2011, 05:16
Since the High Kommand doesn't want a AA forum why not
just have a AA thread in JB? The snippets thread survives, so
why not just have similar but with a AA theme?

Marge is still around and could moderate.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Mar 2011, 07:15
Problem is forums like that become a loon magnet. Mods would have to spend all their time peeling wobble head remains off the ceiling when they get too emotional and explode.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Mar 2011, 10:45
9. We'd prefer you not to discuss politics & religion ...

(JB ROE)

The religion bit is one the mods consistently ignore, with the various religious threads ending up in a to and fro between the atheists and the believers like some endless rally at Wimbledon (oh and with a healthy dose of Islamophobia thrown in of course).

Think I'd rather see an Agony Aunt thread.

(Btw what's Dear Abby?) ;)

Slasher
23rd Mar 2011, 11:06
Tanker this (http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/) is Dear Abby.

flapsforty
23rd Mar 2011, 11:14
The religion bit is one the mods consistently ignore...

Really TankerTN?

How do you compute that then? In the rule you so kindly quote, it says we'd prefer you not to discuss politics & religion.

Doesnīt say you can't, does it? We learned along the way that they are 2 subjects some people enjoy discussing, so we found a formula that allows discussion of them, while stopping the acrimony that these subjects often generate from flooding & souring the forum and ultimately the bulletin board.

Itīs not a perfect solution.
Those who enjoy the controversial subjects would like a free-er format and more political threads.
Those who dislike political threads and rather prefer fun threads, would like to see fewer politics.
Itīs a compromise TTN.
A way for grown up human beings with differing interests to interact socially, with one personīs freedom not impinging on another personīs enjoyment.

Both politics and religion are discussed in a structured manner, with dedicated http://www.pprune.org/images/icons/46.gif Hamsterwheels for politics and a http://www.pprune.org/images/icons/mpangel.gif "Religion - circular arguments" thread for that particular subject.

You started this thread saying our ways are strange.

The rule that was applied to the Sad Belgium Pilot thread, has been up for the past 10 years.
The whole JB RoE has been stickied at the top of the forum for the past 10 years.

The fact the fact that you have never bothered to read the rules, and consequently do not understand it when an existing rule gets applied consistently, does not make our ways strange.

PPRuNe will not host an Agony Aunt - Dear Abby forum or thread.

As is clearly stated in the RoE & for exactly the reasons so eloquently put by Solid Rust Twotter 3 posts up. :ok:

________

flapsforty
Member of the PPRuNe Strangeways Moderating Team