PDA

View Full Version : ATCO European Class 3

QQ350
20th Mar 2011, 22:05
Hi,

I have been thinking about applying to become an ATCO, I am very healthy and to me I don't see any medical complications, however I have read this document. http://www.atc.lu/local/L4.pdf

My concern is about my medical history for Ulcerative Colitis, I am 100% cured from this since I have removed my colon, there is no complications anymore and this was more than 8 years ago. Page 24 makes me worried that there might be a problem passing this examination, the part about having had Ulcerative Colitis, and the part about having had surgery on the digestive tract. Could anyone tell me if I would fail the exam because of this?

EDIT: It says that you are able to return to work after 3 months if you had surgery on the digestive tract... to me it sounds completely unreasonable to not be able to get a license in the first place if more than 8 years have passed, right?

EDIT 2: Just realized that in the beginning of the document these 2 sentences are written. "This document is issued as an EATM Guideline. The contents are not mandatory. They provide information and explanation or may indicate best practice."

So what do you think, pass or fail? I think I am just being paranoid about this and that I should get a pass.

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Mar 2011, 06:46
Hi

I think the best thing to do is to speak to your regulator as they will ultimately make the decision.

Here in the UK you could ring the CAA and talk to them; I presume the same is possible in Germany?

Medicals are used to establish that a) you meet a standard b) you are unlikely to have a condition which makes you unwell whilst performing your duties.

As you say colitis can be cured by a colectomy and many people are then absolutely fine.

Good luck.