PDA

View Full Version : flare

sammym
18th Jun 2001, 04:39
Hello, love this website. Can someone please tell me what a " Flare " means and also what is ETOPS. thanks so much.

Sick Squid
18th Jun 2001, 05:05
Glad to hear you like the site! Now, to your questions....

Flare... this is the manouvere where the pilot reduces the aircraft's rate of descent and closes the thrust levers to allow the aircraft to setttle on the runway at a controled and comfortable rate.

As with everything in aviation, this is a variable move... on a short or wet runway, or in conditions of extreme weather do not expect a "smooth" touchdown, rather expect your flight crew to place the aircraft on the runway with a degree of force, as any finesse-ing of the touchdown by its very definition requires the pilot-flying to hold the aircraft off the runway as long as possible, thus eating into landing distance. So.. to sum up.. hard is good.

ETOPS stands for Extended-range Twin-engined OPerationS, specifically taking aircraft such as 757,767,777, 330, 310 over large expanses of desert or water where the nearest alternate is beyond 60 minutes flying time. Following certain criteria the precise details of which are available elsewhere on this site, airlines can operate their aircraft up to 120, 138, or 180 minutes away from a "suitable" alternate airport over a remote expanse such as the Atlantic, Pacific, or Sahara.

Hope this helps as a starter,

£6

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 18 June 2001).]

kiwi_boy
18th Jun 2001, 06:30
Geez sick squid ya beat me too it!

sammym
18th Jun 2001, 08:06
Thanks Squid for an excellent explanation! Actually I think it was one of your discussions on flaring [ some A320 descent incident } that made me ask the question.

reverserdeployed
18th Jun 2001, 18:56
ETOPS -

Engines
Turning
Or
Passengers
Swimming

BOAC
19th Jun 2001, 02:07
£6 - always thought 'flare' was wot u had!

....and ETOPS..............
Mike

[This message has been edited by BOAC (edited 18 June 2001).]

crl
19th Jun 2001, 11:30
>>ETOPS: Engines Running Or Passengers Swimming...
reverserdeployed,
Indeed a real candid and excellent line to share with my friends driving the twins...
Cheers,
CRL :)

reverserdeployed
24th Jun 2001, 21:59
One more....

ETOPS

Engines
Turning
Or
Paddling to
Shore....

TR4A
25th Jun 2001, 00:01
If your flying freight.

Engines
Turn
Or
Packages
Sink

chiglet
25th Jun 2001, 01:21
£6
Not talking about your "ankle tappers" again? :)
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

------------------
chiglet

reverserdeployed
25th Jun 2001, 18:26
ENGINE
TWO
OVERHEATING
PASS
SWIMSUIT