PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend - advice needed

OZiPilot
20th Mar 2011, 10:05
Hey guys,
I am writing this of behalf of a family friend as he is in a bit of a dilemma .
They are training at a school at Moorabbin (witch shall remain nameless) and he is up to around the 15-hour mark.
He is getting no help from his instructor and to top it off since day 1 the instructor has not told him about entering hours into a log book so there is none! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

He desperately wants to change school but how will he go with no logbook?
Just has to hope they have there record keeping in order?
Advice would be appreciated :ok:

OziPilot

The Kelpie
20th Mar 2011, 10:11
Either ask the school for details of your friends flights or a breakdown of all charges made against you (copies of invoices) etc

Then fill in a logbook retrospectively and get it stamped by the current school.

Would have thought that completing the logbook was lesson 1

Speak to new school about getting records transferred, that should have the information in it anyway. If not call CASA because there are certain levels of information that must be kept on the student file and this is a requirement of their Air Operators Certificate.

RadioSaigon
20th Mar 2011, 10:15
Quite apart from being lesson 1, it's a legal requirement. Get onto it pronto. The school will be able to provide all flight details: date, duration, lesson etc. from their own records. They would have to in any case to allow the student to complete the required logbook entries prior to any flight tests.

OZiPilot
20th Mar 2011, 10:29
Would have thought that completing the logbook was lesson 1This is exactly what i was thinking! I could not believe it when he told me he was up to 15 hours and no log book!

The Kelpie
20th Mar 2011, 10:33
Can you pm me the name of the school? Or alternatively name and shame

swh
20th Mar 2011, 12:30
Before mentioning the school (and exposing PPrune to the lawyers), please have a look at the DAY VFR syllabus.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/fcl/download/vfras01.pdf

In particular :
2.1.1. Flying training records
2.1.3. Log book
2.8.7. Changing schools

Please talk to the CFI of the school, and ask them to check the training records and logbook (this will require the CFI to look at them), if they do not exist, then ask them what is required under the DAY VFR syllabus. I suspect hearing that, the records and logbook will appear, it is the CFI who is responsible for the records.

Make a record of the conversation, date, time, and persons present.

Let us know how you get on.

Mr.Buzzy
20th Mar 2011, 19:58
Is that bollox I smell?

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzz

OZiPilot
20th Mar 2011, 22:02
No i wont mention names (as i think it would be the the wrong place to do so) as it could of been a misunderstanding, but i will pass on all the advice, i'm sure it will be settled.

cheers :ok:

Mr. Hat
20th Mar 2011, 22:12
Ask for an invoice for "taxation" purposes then leave.

ReverseFlight
21st Mar 2011, 10:46
A mate of mine had the same experience at a Moorabbin flight school when he had completed about 10 hours. He has not continued training and is unable to get records extracted from the school.

I hope CASA will close them down.

Sunfish
21st Mar 2011, 19:50
Well I know it isn't RVAC. Log books were lesson One, right after I signed up.

July 7 2007 - effects of controls, 1.0 hours.

PyroTek
22nd Mar 2011, 02:37
Sunny: What about TIF? :ok:
05 Oct 2007 :cool:

PA39
22nd Mar 2011, 02:48
Have your mate insist the instructor pulls his records and both sit down and complete his log entries. Often they are entered by the instructor whilst the student observes. Part of the paperwork training.

When you find another school the "new" CFI will request his training records and then he can cross check with the log book.

Please advise your friend to be firm with the instructor and INSIST he sits down and compiles the entries. Should he refuse, go to the CFI/CP and advise him of the problem, IF the cfi becomes testy.....advise that the next call wil be to a CASA senior FOI.

If he has no luck, please PM me.

SPL-101
22nd Mar 2011, 05:18
Sorry guys but I don't understand what you mean by " logbook is lesson 1". I had my first lesson today and we didn't talk about the logbook. However at the end he got me to fill in my logbook and told me what to write and where to write it and that they sign it at the end of the month. Is that all that he should've done or is there more to it?
Also he said that tommorro we'll have abit of paperwork to get through first, so maybe thats it?

thanks

K3nnyboy
22nd Mar 2011, 05:39
BS like this still exist? :mad:

mcgrath50
22nd Mar 2011, 07:46
SPL, basically it. It's not hard if you are shown what you are to do (actually the amount of whiteout in my logbook proves it is hard :}) but if you haven't been taught it is confusing.

Make sure everytime you do some new sort of hours (eg; IF/SIM) you check with your instructor how it should be logged, another source of white out use for me there :ugh:

SPL-101
22nd Mar 2011, 10:20
Thanks mcgrath50, I thought that the whole first lesson was to be on how to use the logbook or something. So just making sure.

Take Care

harrowing
22nd Mar 2011, 23:16
I think another thread covered that.
It is condidered not to be legitimate on a legal document.
Is that covered in lesson one?

mcgrath50
23rd Mar 2011, 00:31
Harrowing,

I have a feeling you may be right, I was taught to put a single line through it, whiteout was more an expression. Although I know peers have used white out and they have passed CASA checks (on the day), so who knows.

melbourneuniboy
24th Mar 2011, 06:09
A second CASA audit in less than 6 months? Something is fishy in the paperwork.