PDA

View Full Version : Sulpherous Inversion Layer

Pigs Might Fly
20th Mar 2011, 08:03
Yesterday I took advantage of the fine weather and flew from Old Sarum up to Old Warden. Apart from it being one of the best flying days this year, one thing stood out above all else - The very Sulpherous inversion layer.

All day anything lower than around 3500' meant flying in the hazy inversion with the strongest smell of sulphur I've ever smelt. It was much worse than a year ago with the volcano. When I got back to Old Sarum the plane was nearly quarantined 'cos it stank out the hangar and no, it wasn't me and the great Chilli I had for lunch!

It was slightly worse downwind of Oxford and Didcot but bad for the whole flight.

Did anyone else notice it and why would it be so bad now? I've flown in loads of inversions over the years but cannot remember one being this bad over such a distance.

PMF

SkyCamMK
20th Mar 2011, 10:01
Your route would likely keep you in the plume given the wind direction. I was up not far from Old Warden at Bedford at 3500 too and always try not to ingest such foul air and you would be wise to include pollution avoidance in your flight planning. Hope you have good lungs!

Halfbaked_Boy
20th Mar 2011, 12:26
Hi, can somebody please explain more? Is this referring to a general smell of sulphur in the inversion, or to some known emitter giving off this stench and carrying it downwind?

Many thanks :ok:

SkyCamMK
20th Mar 2011, 13:42
Power stations emit sulpur dioxide that when mixed with moisture produces acid rain or sulphuric acid in your lungs.

Sounds a bit extreme but is only school boy chemistry in action

When you see the yellow haze avoid breathing it in

Just common sense really

There are many gases and chemicals that we cannot detect but if you can see it then "see and avoid" is a wise precaution.

PS if I am incorrect about emmissions from said Power Station then I would like and air sample to be taken to prove it on a high pressure day when the plume can be seen

pulse1
20th Mar 2011, 14:10
I don't know if it is still like it but the brickworks south of Bedford used to give off horrible sulphurous fumes. It was only when you left the area you realised how bad the air around there was. When gliding from Cranfield it was quite common to see cars stopped on the M1 near there as the the source of the burning smell was investigated.

Certainly not aware of any smell in the air yesterday around Shobdon or Oaksey Park.

SkyCamMK
20th Mar 2011, 14:47
Stewartby Brickworks has closed now and there are only 4 chimneys left out of the seven but no more fumes thankfully.

It was a great VRP that could be seen for over 20 miles some days.

FlyingKiwi_73
20th Mar 2011, 19:12
Had a few Sulpherous inversion layers in the cockpit too, i usually avoid curried eggs before flying now.

Thats one thing i don't miss about the UK - Platinum Sky!