PDA

View Full Version : violinist Michael Rabin (1936-1972) and Airline pilots/personnel

rosensti1
19th Mar 2011, 16:22
I was wondering, whether you might have any information for me. Violinist Michael Rabin (1936-1972) was a great lover of aviation, a friend of Frank Braile, and had logged over 700,000 miles as a passenger (on the way to and from performances) in his career (1946-1972).

A number of airlines took publicity photos of him, either at their offices, in their hangars or at the airport, near their gates. He used to say that he loved hanging out with both ground and air crews as well as airline and aircraft executives. He was very proud of a chronograph given him once by a pilot, but I’ve never been able to identify that pilot.

Estimates vary about how many model planes he collected, ranging from 50 to 100+, some of them inscribed to him by airline executives. And, of course, he had many “frequent flyer” milestone certificates also. After he died, his family, considering his love of aviation (and classic cars as well) “childish,” disposed of his collections and related documentation.

Does anyone have any letters, photos, or other memorabilia from the violinist that I might study, or any recollections of him? Or perhaps you might know others who knew him. Is there anyone else in the aviation community who might be still available and might have any memories of the violinist that they’d care to share?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you might be able to provide.

barit1
21st Mar 2011, 22:15
Can't address your question directly, but there's an interesting episode at Michael Rabin (http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=6075) - Rabin describing playing some Bach at FL200 over the Pacific in a Boeing 377. :ok:

BTW - my favorite today is Gil Shaham. Fantastic fiddler, and a most modest and cordial fellow too.