PDA

View Full Version : Bias in Aviation Media Reporting

killa loop
19th Mar 2011, 00:34
I know that this has been touched on a little form time to time in other threads, but I'd just like to know everyone's thoughts on exactly how biassed certain print and television media appear to be in the reporting of recent airline media safety stories.

Should/are the media required to disclose with whom they have commercial agreements with?

- JQ sponsor sunrise (so I wouldn't expect to see anything negative reported on Ch7 - and they state their agreement in the closing credits).
- QF have a commercial agreement with Ch9 in regards to providing the QF inflight news.
- The Australian (Aviation section yesterday) doesn't seem to have any negative publicity on the QF group as a whole.

My question is to all of the journalists who read this forum. Are you really free to report what is really making news? I encourage all of the reporters trolling these forums to read Ben Sandilands reporting of the senate inquiry.

The inquiry is on the verge of exposing some very ugly aspects of the airline industry.

Oh and well done Mr. Sandilands. Bravo for the time you have taken to investigate and interrogate the information coming out of the inquiry. You do our industry and profession a great service. Nice to know there is a media outlet that can not be controlled and for my money therefore has much credibility.

truth_seeker
14th May 2011, 10:19
My question is to all of the journalists who read this forum. Are you really free to report what is really making news? I encourage all of the reporters trolling these forums to read Ben Sandilands reporting of the senate inquiry.

The truth is, not always, but saying anymore is playing with fire, believe me. Sandilands is good sometimes, but every journo has their own POV, agenda, angle, whatever you want to call it. It's human nature.

The question that should be asked is, is it worth risking future advertising (which solely fund newspapers/magazines), access to certain company contacts or being blacklisted just to uphold your journalistic principles and make a point?

It's a question every journo struggles with, particularly in Defence media. There's no easy answer.

compressor stall
14th May 2011, 11:11
Email Media Watch....

truth_seeker
15th May 2011, 11:37
Media watch? I think they're too busy dissecting tabloid beatups to care about analysing the compromise that every journalist has to make between advertising interests and telling the real story. It's a given in the industry. I hate it as much as anyone else but there's nothing I can do...unless you work for the ABC. And even then, the botch job they did on the Supers with 4 Corners a while back wasn't exactly their finest hour. F-111 is still awesome nonetheless...

Xcel
15th May 2011, 11:57
They make money from advertisers. Why would you expect them to show anything but a favourable story when it comes to their customers.

Personally think a disclaimer should be required when any advertising, kick back, upgrade or any incentive is provided to a reporter.

Perhaps a site dedicated to spilling the beans on which reporters or journos do which stories and what affiliations or associations link them to the parties etc in which they were reporting...

So many cliches, such Little time...

truth_seeker
17th May 2011, 13:04
Then you may as well stop reading newspapers, magazines and tv shows.

Look, I'm not trying to be an absolute pessimist here, but I'm just trying to give people a dose of reality. Often it's far easier to just write stories on individual squadrons/units than do a company profile or write about some new technology. The reason being is that said unit/squadron already has the gear/tech, so you don't need to worry about upsetting advertising and/or other interests for your newspaper/magazine/tv program. You just write about how it's being used. Shallow journalism? Maybe. But investigative reporting is only good if you've actually got something worth investigating. It's a powerful commodity so use it wisely. No point tarring everyone with the same brush.

peuce
18th May 2011, 00:36
Speaking of reality ....

If you really only want to read/watch/listen to unbiased accurate reporting ... do it yourself.

If you are lazy or time strapped and are happy to compromise and be entertained, with the opportunity of occasionally picking up a gem or two, then look to the mass media.

morno
18th May 2011, 01:04
Would be nice if the media stopped quoting Alan Joyce with his mystical "26% payrise" that all Qantas employee's are asking for apparently (I thought it was only the pilots at first, but then I heard a "26% payrise" figure for the engineers the other night) and find out the facts.

I pay little attention to the media in this country for just about everything, especially aviation. PPRuNe is more reliable, :bored:.

morno