PDA

View Full Version : Oldest flying motor glider

micromalc
18th Mar 2011, 15:15
Anybody out there know what is the oldest flying motor glider? I think the Slingsby T61 was built in the 70's or maybe 60's, but is there anything older ?

Rod1
18th Mar 2011, 15:33
The Scheibe SF-25 Falke?

This first flew in 1963.

Rod1

Fitter2
18th Mar 2011, 21:33
Ted Nelson's Hummingbird??

Nelson Hummingbird PG-185B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Hummingbird_PG-185B)

1953, still 5 on the N- register

http://i51.tinypic.com/2l1caf.jpg

Tony Mabelis
19th Mar 2011, 13:32
I remember back when I was a teenager in the early 1960's, seeing a glider with a side valve Ford Popular car engine mounted on top, flying in Norfolk.

It had a very leaky radiator, and was covered in rust stains. I have a vague feeling that it was withdrawn from use soon after wards.

Tony

JimCrawford
19th Mar 2011, 21:43
Scud 111 auxiliary, 1935 and still flying!

Jim

shortstripper
19th Mar 2011, 22:24
My old Slingsby T31m was built in 1951 .... but only converted to a motorglider in 2006. Does that count?

SS

Mark 1
20th Mar 2011, 04:17
The BAC Drone flew in the Lympne trials in the early 30s. Still a few airworthy survivors.
YouTube - Vintage Drone motor glider with Cherub engine

JimCrawford
20th Mar 2011, 11:01
You pays your money and takes your choice "oldest flying motor glider":

The Scud 111 (1935) is certainly airworthy and in beautiful condition, I had a very interesting chat with the owner at a Vintage meet at Bicester last year. I was up for sale then and I am still kicking myself that I didn't go for it - it would just not be possible to justify a fourth aeroplane to my dear wife! The aircraft is currently without it's pop up engine but I understand that the owner had searched aviation's dark places to get the bits to re-install one. So the Scud is flying but, currently 'sans moteur'. However, since the intention was to re-install one, then I guess you could call it a motor glider with the motor on extended overhaul. I'm not sure if it could self launch with the mighty 9hp Villiers so it may be a self sustainer.

The Drone was born of the BAC V11 Planette and first flew in 1932. It was certainly a self launcher with a Douglas motor cycle engine mounted on a pylon above the wing. The one in the photo is still on the British register (GAEDB) but without a permit (non EASA aircraft) so it is non flying although I expect it is under long term restoration. It was built in 1936. the Drone was in series production, popular and successful. One was flown from Berlin to Croydon and back on 2nd April 1936 in 11hrs flying. Certainly a time of wooden aircraft and iron men! :ok:

Jim

Mechta
21st Mar 2011, 00:27
Probably not described as a motor glider when built, but the 1921 English Electric Wren certainly is one, and still flies at the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden:
http://www.eaa.ca/bitsandpieces/images/1102_Lubitz2.jpg

The 1935 Abbot Baynes Scud 3 is in private hands, although its engine is in the Science Museum. I found this out when a friend borrowed it from them for an exhibition at the Farnham Museum (Abbot Baynes was a Farnham company).