PDA

View Full Version : ASIC expiry more than 1 month

FlyingDumbells
18th Mar 2011, 14:27
Hi,

I have an expired asic and it has expired for more than one month. I do not reside in australia, Im Irish, and have been away for almost 8 months. I plan to go back now and do some training but I need to renew my asic card. I thought I would just send off the old one with my new application, but apparently you have to send it off within 1 month of it expiring or suffer a BIG fine!?:ugh:

Has anyone been fined for this on here? I don't see the reason behind it at all as Ive not even been near the country this whole time.:\

swh
18th Mar 2011, 16:14
Apply for the replacemnet card, and send the old card back in the envelope they send you with the new card.

Not sending the old card back when you have a new card = possibility of not getting another card EVER i.e. having a worldwide security risk rating aginst your name and DOB.

Your choice :)

VH-XXX
18th Mar 2011, 22:16
I still have all of my old ASIC cards and I haven't been put in jail yet.

Without registered postage if it went missing there would be nothing they could do about it anyway. If what you are saying is true and your ability to not have a security flag on your name is dependant on the reliability of Australia Post then you are in a lot of trouble!

YPJT
18th Mar 2011, 23:01
An expired ASIC is required under the regs to be returned within one month of expiry but as XXX aluded to, it is very difficult to enforce. Why not just send it back regardless but keep a copy so that you can refer to it on the new application.

As for a renewal vs new application, the only difference is that the issuing body doesn't have to re-enter your details in the AUSCHECK system for a renewal. The costs for background check and card production remain the same.

Don't bother applying for another ASIC until you know you are coming back. If you are not on an Australian passport, it cannot be issued until you have entered the country as a Dept of Immigration and Citizenship check also has to be made. The way a lot of IBs do it is have your card ready for you to pick up on arrival.

Feel free to PM me if you need any specific advice.