PDA

View Full Version : No signature on Military ID card makes it less than useless?

BobbyT
18th Mar 2011, 07:30
I have been extremely frustrated on many occasions when organisations don't recognise Military ID as a form of identification. In the USA doormen argue that they can't accept it because it doesn't have a signature that they can ask you to reproduce as an extra level of authenticity.
However, my experience yesterday was the final straw. My own bank refused to accept my 'photocard' ID because it hasn't got a signature. Very frustrating.

I remember having an RAF F1250 in the past that had an electronic copy of my signature on the front. Does anyone know why this was removed? Cutbacks?

Isn't it about time it was put back in place so that we get an ID card worth more than the occasional flash at the front gate or means of getting the odd 10% off?

glum
18th Mar 2011, 07:32
What's wrong with using your driving license for ID like the rest of the population do?

diginagain
18th Mar 2011, 07:40
The clue's in the title; it's a military ID.

Wensleydale
18th Mar 2011, 07:50
Even the old F1250 was not accepted for many years as proof of identity for organisations in Civvy Street. Shop assistants are not allowed to accept it and it has been many years since discretion has been allowed by employees! However, to be fair, it is so easy to knock up something that looks like an ID card on a computer these days and how would a civvy know what a genuine military ID card looked like? I am sure that there have been many fraudulant attempts to gain a military benefit. Gone are the old days where an ID card would get you a tenner in any bank.

Moral of story - carry your driving licence.

W

PS. I once tried travel to the USA using a NATO travel order/ID card on an American carrier leaving LHR on a Saturday. (Back in 1990 before the "troubles"). It took 2 hours at the check in desk because the UK travel order was different to the US forces version and the (Brit) employee was having none of my version. Even calls to the US embassy failed - it was a Saturday and no-one there would authorise me. I did have my passport in my pocket but as I had lots of extra time (MT too early as usual) I played the system. Eventually the passport had to come out as boarding time approached. However, I entered JFK through the military channel on the NTO with no problems.

BobbyT
18th Mar 2011, 07:51
Because quite simply if you fight for your country and pass all the relevant security checks I personally believe that ID card should carry more weight than a driving license that any chimp can get.

diginagain
18th Mar 2011, 08:06
You're probably not alone in having that belief. But it isn't going to change anything.

Willard Whyte
18th Mar 2011, 08:13
I've used my RAF ID several times as identification in civvy street, both here and the USA.

Sure, there are a few places in the USA where they don't recognise it - the same ones as wouldn't recognise a UK driving license either.

Back in the days of rates I remember our crew pitching up at a night club only to be refused entry when the gorilla on the door failed to recognise our IDs as valid. We waved our wodges of cash in his face (it was day 1 of a multi-day task so we each had around $1000) and made our way to the club next door where they were only too happy to admit her majesty's finest.

Wensleydale
18th Mar 2011, 08:14
I've also heard that Military ID Cards will shortly be phased out as a cost saving measure because with current rates of force reduction we'll soon all know each other....

Tankertrashnav
18th Mar 2011, 09:12
I remember hearing that the station commander at RAF St Mawgan as it then was being refused boarding on an internal Ryanair flight because his RAF ID wasn't recognised. He must have been sorely tempted to ring the tower and get them to deny taxi clearance to the aircraft till they let him on, but I assume he had to take the next flight.

philrigger
18th Mar 2011, 09:14
;)

What's wrong with using your driving license for ID like the rest of the population do?

What driving license ?? Having a plastic license is not compulsory and it costs money to hold one.

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2011, 09:16
I once came back in to UK and simply showed my ID rather than passport. They didn't even bother to ask for the NTO.

Mick Strigg
18th Mar 2011, 10:13
Mine has my signature on it; right on the front, across the MOD crest!

dClbydalpha
18th Mar 2011, 11:56
I think the simple answer is that, within the UK at least, your employer did not authorise it for anything other than official use. Similarly that the government did not have it on the list of admissable documents for official proof of ID or age. I have three forms of official ID. All of them, like yours, supported by various official checks, but each only valid for what they were issued for, i.e. access to the establishements owned by the issuing authority, so I always carry my plastic driving license.

In your case I believe all is about to change for reasons you have stated.

Means of Identification (Licensing): 14 Mar 2011: House of Commons debates (TheyWorkForYou.com) (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2011-03-14a.8.1)

Wrathmonk
18th Mar 2011, 12:46
a plastic license is not compulsory

You obviously don't intend moving house ever again then ...... or wish to drive beyond the age of 70;)

SRENNAPS
18th Mar 2011, 13:04
I used my F1250 (with or without a NTO) all over the world, sometimes in the most unusual of circumstances, and the only time I ever had a problem was in my local post office down in South Wales when I was trying to cash my Nan’s’ pension for her, using the old pension books. The old dear in the post office was having none of it until another customer in the queue said “come off it June, that’s Roses’ grandson, he’s in the army”. :ugh::ugh:

I did smile and June finally agreed to cash my Nan’s pension. :)

Wensleydale

Even calls to the US embassy failed - it was a Saturday and no-one there would authorise me. I did have my passport in my pocket but as I had lots of extra time (MT too early as usual) I played the system. Eventually the passport had to come out as boarding time approached.

That made me chuckle. I bet you were popular with the check in staff:ok::ok:
I take it you did not get an upgrade? :=:=

Still, I agree, you should expect the system to work!!!

Sandy Parts
18th Mar 2011, 17:33
Travelling home in Jan via Reno airport when, as I was getting some dollars from my wallet to pay for a sandwich, the young lad manning the kiosk said "I see you have military ID (it was in the clear holder contained in the wallet), I'll take 20% off your bill!" I'm aware many US organisations give mil discount, but I'd deliberately not taken advantage of that during my holiday as I felt 'un-deserving' compared to the US vets we saw in uniform at every airhead en-route. This guy not only recognised an RAF Form whatever (ID card), but also gave the discount unprompted. He got a few dollars tip for the courtesy. Couldn't imagine that happening in McDs at Heathrow (not that I'd be in there mind..:) )

ACW418
18th Mar 2011, 20:55
:{I was sad to have to hand in my old F1250 (which did have my signature on it if my memory is still working) about two years ago. It had always worked for me wherever. I had a brilliant idea - I got a National Identity Card which did have my signature on it and worked as a passport in EU countries. That nice Mr Cameron scrapped them about a week after getting into No 10 and only after I had had my shiny new card a month!
Back to the drawing board.

ACW

Melchett01
18th Mar 2011, 21:26

What driving license ?? Having a plastic license is not compulsory and it costs money to hold one.

Of course, one should always use their driving licence and passport as proof of identity. After all, nobody would forge them would they? They must be kosher and infalliable proof of identity... right? :\

Old-Duffer
18th Mar 2011, 22:07
I used my Reserve Forces 1250 when getting and then renewing, my Senior Citizens' Railcard. The railcard now acts as the 'standby' in case my 1250 doesn't do the job!!

We live in funny times.

O-D

Willard Whyte
18th Mar 2011, 22:08
SP, I've had a bit to drink so I'm finding it tricky to eloquate* my thoughts.

*made up word, it works though.

Your post pretty much sums up my experiences. Would that our youth in service industry recognise those who serve and are prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice. Gotta turn in, pretty p1ssed off with the typical pomposity of blinkered brits right now.

davejb
18th Mar 2011, 22:24
Gotta turn in, pretty p1ssed off with the typical pomposity of blinkered brits right now.

Hoping this makes you - and others - see this in a different and less annoying light, modern Britain isn't more pompous (in my view), but everyone is so scared of cocking up that it's easier to sound pompous and say no.

I'm not sure that people are getting less intelligent (although my 1960's Physics O level text book now contains a substantial amount of 'Higher' and 'Advanced Higher - ie A level plus - material) but they are definitely becoming more averse to making a decision.

Dave

Rigga
18th Mar 2011, 22:39
Due to travelling a bit, I carry my Driving Licence everywhere as I do my Passport.
Everyone believes a Passport!

Thinking of the maths of IDs...and plucking figures from a bottle of Red...

There are about 50+Million people in UK and its likely that about 30 million have some form of formal ID.

Unfortunately there are only about 250,000-300,000 armed forces personnel and the number of "former" service personnel who may recognise an Armed Forces ID is dropping too.

So, unless you use your IDs in the local area of military stations, camps, bases the person you show it to is unlikely to recognise it!

Of course you could publicise the format to the Public - and make it more likely to be forged.

...merrier by the minute
Rigga

Unchecked
19th Mar 2011, 09:06
I read in one of the tabloids, think it was The Sun, just a few days ago, that Mil ID is now to be recognised as formal ID after hundreds of incidents of people being refused with it. It will be listed on posters along with driving licences, prove it cards and passports.

BobbyT
19th Mar 2011, 12:57
Brilliant, you post something on Pprune and within 2 days it's sorted!
Now for my next thread, bring back real Ascoteering, the old rates system or go to war with a Caribbean Island..... choices, choices?

baffman
19th Mar 2011, 15:18
I read in one of the tabloids, think it was The Sun, just a few days ago, that Mil ID is now to be recognised as formal ID after hundreds of incidents of people being refused with it. It will be listed on posters along with driving licences, prove it cards and passports. MOD 90 to be accepted as proof of age in pubs - British Armed Forces Federation (http://www.baff.org.uk/news-general/mod-90-to-be-accepted-as-proof-of-age-in-pubs)

diginagain
19th Mar 2011, 15:23
What's the odds on there being a disclaimer along the lines of "at the discretion of the management"?

scarecrow450
19th Mar 2011, 16:10
Mrs Scarecrow450 works in a supermarket and she has been told by the her boss's that they can not take mil ID. She's seen my mine(in the old days) so she knows what to look for but no go !!