The USN

When did the first female fighter pilot fly in

The RAF
The RN FAA
The USAF
The USN

atpcliff
18th Mar 2011, 05:07
Soviet/Russia the first female combat pilot was WWII. They had LOTS of them.

The first USAF female fighter pilots were about 1996???
The first USAF female pilots deployed in combat missions (illegally), that I knew about, was in 1991.

cliff
KGRB

Fareastdriver
18th Mar 2011, 08:53
Soviet/Russia the first female combat pilot was WWII.

You can take that with a pinch of salt. The were munerous films and articles about their heroic women pilots and a lot of howlers in the photos as well. After Russia loosened up it was admitted they were mainly a propaganda exercise to encourage Russian women to put in greater efforts towards the Great Patriotic War.
The Germans had no record of any female pilot being shot down or captured on the Eastern front. It seems highly unlikely they were that good.

foldingwings
18th Mar 2011, 10:07
Google is your friend:

USA

History tells us that the first licensed woman pilot in the United States was Harriet Quimby in 1911. History forgets to tell us that Katherine Wright, sister of the Wright brothers, had as much to do with the first flight at Kittyhawk as did her brothers. Women flew airplanes before they could vote - but not in the U.S. military!

During WWI Princess Eugenie Shakhovskaya and Princess Sophie Alexandrovna Dolgorunaya were among the first women to become military pilots in Europe and though American women pilots volunteered, none were taken seriously. We all know the story of the gallant WASP pilots - women who flew every airplane made during WWII - including an experimental jet at 350 mph at 35,000 feet, (flown by Ann Baumgartner in 1944) - yet were not considered military pilots until decades later.

Jacqueline Cochran broke the sound barrier in 1953, set speed and altitude records and lobbied for the use of women pilots in the military - to no avail. Civilian women were flying over the North Pole, around the world, and through the sound barrier but until the '70s the military resisted having women pilots.

The Navy, not the Air Force, took the first step - in 1974 six women earned their wings and became the first Naval aviators. The Army followed suit in 1974 and trained female helicopter pilots.

The Air Force caught up in 1976 and admitted women to the pilot training program. But there was a catch. By virtue of exisiting policies, their flying was limited to non-combat. Military women pilots would not be flying combat missions. At least not yet.

Although the military finally trained women pilots the services still played games with gender quotas, the pilot slots, combat exclusion laws and the type aircraft women were allowed to fly. From 1976 to 1993 women pilots were kept out of the cockpits of combat aircraft - in actual combat. Even though women aviators flew during Panama, Grenada and Desert Storm their presence was somehow "excluded" from combat records. Not until 1993 were women allowed to fly combat aircraft.

The first woman pilot in the United States flew in 1911 - it took the military 65 years to recognize and train women as pilots and another seventeen years to permit them to invade the sacrosanct area of combat aircraft. Gratefully the tide is turning. An all women Air Force Fly Over team was present at the dedication of the Women's Memorial in 1997. A female Air Force Colonel - Eileen Collins - was the first woman to command a space shuttle mission in 1999. Air Force B-52's and Navy Tomcats are being flown by women.

During Desert Storm the first woman pilot gave her life while flying in a combat zone. Major Marie T. Rossi died at age 32 on March 1, 1991, when the Chinook helicopter she was piloting crashed near her base in northern Saudia Arabia. The unit she commanded was among the very first American units to cross into enemy held territory flying fuel and ammunition to the rapidly advancing 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions. Major Rossi is buried in Arlington Cemetery where her simple epitaph there reads "First Female Combat Commander To Fly into Battle."

Another of the first American woman to fly in combat in the '90s was Lt Col.Martha McSally, ranked as the top female Air Force pilot. Lt Col McSally was among the first women trained by the Air Force as a fighter pilot. During a 1995-96 tour of duty in Kuwait, she became the first woman in military history to fly a combat sortie in a fighter aircraft. She also flew more than 100 combat hours on an A-10 Warthog attack plane over Iraq in the mid-1990s, and served as a flight commander and trainer of combat pilots.

In 1993 when Secretary of Defense Les Aspin opened combat aviation to women, including enlisted female aircrew members, allowing women to fly combat missions, opportunities opened even more for women pilots and crew members. With these new opportunities female pilot numbers are increasing steadily with more and more women completing pilot training.

Today, in the war against the Taliban and al-Qaida targets in Afghanistan and Iraq, women are filling aircrew positions as bomber pilots, navigators, tanker pilots, and weapons officers - those who specialize in operating in flight arms - loadmasters, and varied officer and enlisted aircrew positions.

In the 2004 Air Force 19.6 % of the force was female.
*18.2 percent of the officers were women and 20 percent of the enlisted corps was women.
* 60.2 percent of the female officers are line officers; 39.8 percent are non-line.
*The population of women in the Air Force was 73,074.
* Women first began entering pilot training in 1976, fighter pilot training in July 1993 and navigator training in 1977.
*2004 there were 519 (3.8 percent) female pilots and 195 (4.1 percent) female navigators and over 600 enlisted crew members.

Women first began entering pilot training in 1976, fighter pilot training in July 1993 and navigator training in 1977.
Currently - 2005-06 - there are 568 (4.1 percent) female pilots and 210 (4.6 percent) female navigators.

The 2006 Air Force Thunderbirds team includes first female pilot. Major Nicole Malachowski, of the 494th Fighter Squadron at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England, joins the team as the first female demonstration pilot on any U.S. military high performance jet team.

RAF

History was made on 10 May 1990 when the first women pilots, Flight Lieutenants Sally Cox and Julie Gibson, flew their first solos.

Jo Salter joined the Royal Air Force at the age of 18 to be an Engineering Officer and branch changed to pilot after the British government announced that women could start flying jets in 1992. She had studied engineering at the Royal Military College of Science. She was awarded her fast jet wings on Apr 3, 1992.

She joined 617 Squadron at RAF Lossiemouth in 1994 as a Flight Lieutenant, and was declared combat ready by the RAF on February 21 1995: the first woman to be an operational Tornado pilot. Whilst flying ground attack Tornados (not the ADV/F3), she started an MBA from the Open University in 1996, being sponsored by the MoD, which she completed in 1999. She flew from Turkey and Saudi Arabia, protecting the No-fly zone over Iraq. She left the RAF in 2000 after returning from maternity leave (which began in April 1998) and being unfulfilled by the offers of work she received from the RAF.

From 1994 to 2004, around 70 female RAF pilots flew fast jets and many still do today including Kirsty Stewart, the first female Red Arrow.

FAA

Google is rather complex about the FAA and talks about the first female Black Cats helo display pilot in 2010 and the first female Snr Observer in 2011 (but they must have started flying before that).

Of course, in the UK, there were plenty women who flew for the Air Transport Auxiliary during WW2 (and similar in the USA) but I doubt that was the purpose of your question.

You're on your own now - try Google.

Happy to oblige

Foldie:ok:

BEagle
18th Mar 2011, 10:17
....still played games with gender quotas, the pilot slots, combat exclusion laws....

Rather a rude term for lady pilots?

(It's Friday......)

Trim Stab
18th Mar 2011, 10:46
Kara Hultgreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_Hultgreen)

First USN female carrier pilot - crashed trying to park.

bobward
18th Mar 2011, 11:02
Key Publishing Limited FlyPast April 2011 (http://shop.keypublishing.com/acatalog/fp_April_2011.html)

There's an interesting item on Soviet women flying IL 2's on the above link.

anotherthing
18th Mar 2011, 13:26
Foldie

Google is rather complex about the FAA and talks about the first female Black Cats helo display pilot in 2010 and the first female Snr Observer in 2011 (but they must have started flying before that).The lady mentioned as the first SOBS wasn't the first female Observer in the RN. The first female (officer) Aircrew in the RN joined Dartmouth in September 2001. In fact there were 2 of them on that intake, however they parted company due to one falling ill during survival training. One went on to become an Obs, the other failed Basic Observer Course. The SOBS mentioned in your google search joined after 2001... I'd hazard a guess at about 2003.

As for first female RN Pilot, I think 2003 may be the right ball park for joining Dartmouth (could well be wrong).

There were, of course, other females in non commisioned flying posts (aircrewmen) in the RN in the early 'noughties'

Tlam999
18th Mar 2011, 14:16
@anotherthing

I joined the RN in 2000 and there were certainly ladies front-line, flying both front and back seat then - and they were commissioned officers to boot.

I think you'll find your dates are about 10 years out.

Off the top of my head, the first female to join Dartmouth as obs was in 1991. Whether she passed the course or not is another matter.

When I first went front-line in late '02 I can remember of 3 female helo pilots who were in the FAA, and at least 15 obsevers... indeed one was one of my QOI's during training. Most, if not all of them were direct Dartmouth intake and not promoted from the ranks.

Yours aye

Wrathmonk
18th Mar 2011, 15:00
Trim

crashed trying to park

Bit of a crass comment don't you think given she was killed attempting to land her F14 ....

anotherthing
18th Mar 2011, 16:37
Tlam

Blame an early morning start today at work. I was 10 years out as you say!

I should have known better as I was on the same course as the ladies. Have woken up now :ok:,

Junglydaz
18th Mar 2011, 17:34
We had a couple of female pilots on 846 NAS during Op Telic (2003). Granted one was a Flt Lt.

Justanopinion
18th Mar 2011, 18:19
House of Lords Written Answers 20 May 2009 (http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Lords/ByDate/20090520/writtenanswers/part003.html)

Figures as per 2009

Neptunus Rex
18th Mar 2011, 18:54
The first lady pilots in the Royal Australian Air Force were training in 1985 or so.

However, does any service other than the Royal Australian Navy have lady submariners?

airborne_artist
18th Mar 2011, 18:58
House of Lords Written Answers 20 May 2009 (http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Lords/ByDate/20090520/writtenanswers/part003.html)

Intrigued by the RN having 20 fixed-wing female non-pilot aircrew? Shurely shome mishtake :}

Justanopinion
18th Mar 2011, 19:29
Agreed - i guess they meant observers under the rotary column.

PhamousPhotographer
18th Mar 2011, 19:43
We had a couple of female pilots on 846 NAS during Op Telic (2003). Granted one was a Flt Lt. And no-one's mentioned Nuala yet - at least a decade earlier!

lurkposition
18th Mar 2011, 20:56
1993/4; the first RAF SAR Sea King lady pilot who was stationed at Boulmer. Good pilot and great company. NS.

Siggie
18th Mar 2011, 21:17
Women pilots/aircrew/in combat.

Some will be average, some above average and some below, how hard would it be to find a video of two blokes spearing in on a carrier approach?

Most of the gal aircrew I know, just want to be left alone to do the job, with no discrimination, there are one or two who do play the gender card, but they would be to**ers if they were male or female.

GreenKnight121
19th Mar 2011, 04:41
However, does any service other than the Royal Australian Navy have lady submariners?

The Royal Norwegian Navy became the first navy to allow female crew on its submarines in 1985.

The Royal Danish Navy allowed female submariners in 1988.

Others followed suit including the Swedish Navy (1989),the Royal Australian Navy in 1998, the German Navy in 2001 and the Canadian Navy in 2002.

In 1995, Solveig Krey of the Royal Norwegian Navy became the first female officer to assume command on a military submarine, HNoMS Kobben.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Mar 2011, 02:00
I've met all 3 RAF female pilots mentioned, and served with Julie when she was an Engineering Officer at RAF Brawdy. They all deserved their chances, and took them. Also Helen Gardiner, who was the first female RAF pilot to conduct a live QRA intercept on September 10 1996.

Rick777
20th Mar 2011, 06:04
The USN just announced they were going to let women on subs.

Jane-DoH
30th Mar 2011, 03:15
foldingwings

From what I read, the first female naval aviator to make a carrier landing was an A-6 pilot in 1982 (found this out in a bing search). Kara Hultgren flew EA-6's from 1987 prior to switching over to the F-14...

My question is being that there were females flying attack planes prior to them serving on carriers; were they all flying A-6's?

Rick777

The USN just announced they were going to let women on subs.

That's good to hear.

R.C.

BTW: What was the first woman to serve (not as a pilot, just any woman) to serve onboard a US Navy Vessel?

galaxy flyer
30th Mar 2011, 03:28
Yes, and let's hope the pregnancy rate on subs is lower than it is in the surface fleet. Subs will be in port every couple of weeks changing crew. In Desert Storm I brought home two women (non-fliers) who were three months pregnant after having been deployed for five months.

GF

The Old Fat One
30th Mar 2011, 05:59
In 1995, Solveig Krey of the Royal Norwegian Navy became the first female officer to assume command on a military submarine, HNoMS Kobben.

There was a Norwegian female CO at the 100 years UK Submarine Service celebration at Lancaster University circa 2000 - I think it was her. Also a ex soviet Yankee CO at the same do. That was some party.

M609
1st Apr 2011, 21:14
And on a sad note:

Today the first female mil pilot of the RNoAF lost her life in Mazar i Sharif when local insurgents stormed the UN camp. The insurgents were mixed in with demonstrators protesting in the wake of the Koran buring by US minister Terry Jones.

Lt. Col Siri Skare (53) was a military advisor with United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).

As much as 20 persons is feared killed in the attack, with one Swede and several Nepaleese.

I cannot imagine the fear they felt when the hordes climbed the compund wall.

RIP :{

Willard Whyte
1st Apr 2011, 21:26
I really hate islamics.

AdLib
1st Apr 2011, 21:47
Willard,

You've always impressed me with your comments. No BS and in the main very funny.

Your last comment is a disgrace.

Romeo Oscar Golf
1st Apr 2011, 22:32
No it's not...simply an honest opinion allowed in this free speech, democratic, Christian country. You may not like it, and are entitled to voice your opinion, unlike many in most Islamic countries.
Back to the girls in the cockpit.... it didn't happen in my time sadly so I am delighted that they are making headway.

alisoncc
1st Apr 2011, 22:57
I don't think Willard's comment was a disgrace.

Greg Sheridan recently wrote in "The Australian" newspaper:-

Then there is the ever present risk of being labelled a racist. No matter how calmly the discussion is conducted, that is a big danger.

But the only people who don't think there is a problem with Islam are those who live on some other planet. The reputation of Islam in the West is not poor because of prejudiced Western Islamophobia, still less because Western governments conduct some kind of anti-Islamic propaganda. Instead, it is the behaviour of people claiming the justification of Islam for their actions that affects the reputation of Islam.

In January, the governor of the Punjab province in Pakistan, Salman Taseer, was murdered because he opposed the severity of the nation's blasphemy laws. One of his last acts was to visit a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting the prophet. The governor's murderer won wide public support.

ABC television recently showed a documentary on the killing of Ahmediya sect members in Indonesia, among the most liberal Muslim nations, because their Muslim murderers regarded them as a deviant sect.

On YouTube you can watch scenes of a young Afghan woman being publicly flogged because she was seen in the company of a man who wasn't her husband or brother.

In Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive cars.

In Iran, government thugs beat protesters to death to safeguard the rule of the mullahs.

This list could go on and on. It may very well be that the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims reject such actions. But it is fatuous to try to find a similar pattern of Christian, Buddhist or Jewish behaviour. You can find extremists in every religion and from every background, but there is no equivalence in the size and strength of the extremist tendency in other religions.

I freely accept that people of other religous persuasions do similar acts, but very rarely in the name of their religion. And that is the danger.

alisoncc
1st Apr 2011, 23:07
Returning to the thread. It may be open to debate as to whether the women of the ATA in WWII were women in combat or not, but they wore military-style uniforms and flew military aircraft.

Given the proximity of Hamble, one of their bases, to the Luftwaffe, I would suggest that there was always a very present danger of being attacked. The prospect of flying unarmed Spitfires with ME 109's a short distance away would not have been part of my preferred vocation. The documentary "Spitfire Women" tells a tale of incredible bravery and dedication. They were women pilots in combat.