PDA

View Full Version : Military Discount Enquiry

Lowkey
16th Mar 2011, 17:20
Chaps,

Shameless use of the subscribers on this forum but can anyone offer some advice on Military Discounts available and best ways to take a holiday in Disneyland Florida.

I am still in the RAF and looking to take Mrs L and daughter there in Oct.

Any assistance/recommendations gratefully received.

MODS: Apologies if there was a better place to but this.

Cheers to all,

Justanopinion
16th Mar 2011, 18:43
Follow the link as below

Military Discounts & Coupons - Travel, Hotels, Airfare, Disney (http://www.baseops.net/marketplace/)

Pontius Navigator
16th Mar 2011, 18:46
Two new offers just started for active service and veterans:

Cunard and Princess Cruises offer betwen USD50 and USD250 per veteran onboard credit on cruises.

Jumping_Jack
16th Mar 2011, 20:22
:uhoh: Unless things have changed recently you are unlikely to get a discount from Disney. Even when working in Centcom plus a letter from my 2 Star Gen (US Army), Disney said no to discount. At the main entrance they even have a sheet showing the IDs they will accept (US Mil Only), they wouldn't even accept my US issued ID. Busch Gardens on the other hand was free for the family plus 20% off all consessions in the park.:ok:
Maybe things have changed this year?

Justanopinion
16th Mar 2011, 21:18
Although most theme parks will have their own policy on extending military discounts to Allied nations, the Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) center at the US Navy facility in Orlando will allow UK and other Allied military members access with their nation's military ID card and/or NATO Travel Orders. At the MWR center, service members can purchase deeply discounted theme park tickets such as Disney, Universal Studios, and Sea World.

So bypass the system as above - always a way........

Two's in
16th Mar 2011, 21:51
the Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) center at the US Navy facility in Orlando will allow UK and other Allied military members access with their nation's military ID card and/or NATO Travel Orders.

As Jumping Jack says, use the US Navy MWR. It's just one block over on the western edge of Orlando International Airport. Make sure you turn up on a weekday during working hours and buy your tickets there.

MWR Dept ITT Manager SSP90 (ITT - Information, Tickets, and Travel)
ITT Office Orlando at the Navy Exchange Complex
Tradeport Dr.
Orlando, FL 32827
Commercial: 407-855-0116
Fax: 407-850-9149
E-Mail: [email protected]

When you are over, ask for a Military discount wherever you go, it's expected and generally given. PM me if you want any info on accommodation and car rentals etc.

rock34
16th Mar 2011, 22:01
I use this one personally:

Forces Discounts - The UK's largest forces discount website (http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/)

You do have to register, but I've found it useful.

thefodfather
17th Mar 2011, 08:09
We went a little over a year ago and the US Forces Shades of Green was a good place to buy discounted tickets and get advice. Google it for directions, but its an old disney hotel now operated by the US military, just show your RAF ID at the entry gate for access. The ticket office is just past the reception desk.

Jumping_Jack
17th Mar 2011, 09:45
Nice to see the MWR at the US Navy Base doing the business. Regrettably the MWR at McDill weren't so accomodating! :sad:

dazjs
17th Mar 2011, 20:22
6th FSS - MacDill AFB | Life and Leisure (http://www.macdillfss.com/mainmenusub-ll.aspx?SectionID=330)

Jumping_Jack
18th Mar 2011, 09:13
Active or Retired members of the U.S. Military, including activated members of the
National Guard and Reservists as well as active and retired members of the United States Coast Guard. U.S. Military
ONLY! Valid military ID is required for admission.

This was the stopper. On the gate at Disney they have a cribsheet with photos of the IDs they will accept. Brit Mil and the US issued ID for Foreign Mil are not one of them. To be fair the guys on the gate they did try for me and even dragged supervisors down to see if they could do anything....but no go. If you can blag your way in then bonus! :ok:

Captain Kirk
19th Mar 2011, 16:01
Seaworld - I went there last year and was bowled over when I asked about mil discount - wondered if there might be 10% off or some such but the whole family was ushered in for free. At the main show, which was excellent, the commentator dedicates it to serving military personnel, and asks them to stand and be recognised - specifically naming Canada, UK and French allies. I was quite choked up. And it was a fabulous resort!

Tiger_mate
19th Mar 2011, 17:50
I asked military discount at a Car Hire in Florida (Nr Disneyland). No discount available but a free upgrade was :ok:

Paid for a standard four door sedan and instead got a Lincoln Town Car; which is the same type of vehicle that the President uses :)
http://www.news-blogs.com/_images/auto/lincoln_town_car_2006.jpg

unclenelli
19th Mar 2011, 22:43
Current adverts on TV state "Dine Free"
Small print says Aug/Sep = Hurricane Season!!!!!

Simple economics......
Appeal to lower-class England to eat free during school holidays, knowing that the real money will be spent on booze.
Everyone knows the Brits can drink the Yanks under the table, unless said Yanks are hiding from the hurricane under said table.

AR1
19th Mar 2011, 23:29
I stayed at Shades of green a few years ago. discounted tickets and relatively cheap accommodation. That would be my first port of call.

No Vote Joe
20th Mar 2011, 21:51
I used Shades of Green a few years ago and they were so helpful it was embarrassing! They asked me what we wanted to do, and they worked out the most cost effective way to do it. It probably saved us several hundred dollars. You can stay there during the low season, but they do work on a strict priority basis, with Brit Mil on their hols being quite low on the list! But hey, if you don't ask, you don't get!!

We also took a book called "Brits Guide to Orlando" that detailed nearly all the excursions offered by the tour companies, but gave you the direct numbers of the companies that operated them. Calling direct was way cheaper than the prices quoted by Sir Richard's lot, and then I asked if they offered Mil Discount and they became cheaper still. :ok:

Evileyes
21st Mar 2011, 04:44
Jumping Jack

Assuming you are talking about CENTCOM HQ at McDill AFB another option would have been to head over to the military ticket/travel office in the Exchange. No pain, no strain, discount tickets to the majority of the places worth visiting in Florida and beyond. I've done it a dozen times and seen customers with all sorts of allied uniforms in line.

When you are handing a valid prepaid ticket to the lads at Disney they don't care where you bought it (as it could be from any of a hundred discount programs), but buying it there can be problematic as you describe.

Jumping_Jack
21st Mar 2011, 15:20
Yep, used the chaps and chapesses at the Exchange MWR place...very helpful and lots available, as I said only place we had difficulty with was Disney. The Busch Gardens/Seaworld discounts were great! Shame really as a few years ago when I was stationed up in Norfolk, VA, Disney had no problem with 'Foreign Mil'.

At the end of the day a discount is great, but even without we still enjoyed our days at Disney. :)