PDA

View Full Version : PIC Req`s over 5700kg?

MajorLemond
16th Mar 2011, 12:30
Hi there,

Anyone know where to find the minimum requirements for PIC over 5700kg, multi crew / multi engine for charter operations? there is no reference to it in the CAO`s that I could find.... or is it the same as RPT?

cheers - ML :)

Continental-520
16th Mar 2011, 15:42
Not 100% sure, but my understanding is that you only need to meet the CPL requirements (including recency) and the CAAP 5-23-1 requirements for the type endorsement, plus any requirements that may exist in the company ops manual/AOC for the operation.

Is that what you meant?

swh
16th Mar 2011, 16:39
you only need to meet the CPL requirements (including recency)

ATP(A)L, CP(A)L does not permit a person to fly as PIC of a multi-crew aircraft in CHTR and RPT operations.

CAR 1988 5.105 (1) "(b) to fly a multi‑pilot aeroplane as pilot in command while the aeroplane is engaged in any operation other than a charter operation, or a regular public transport operation;"

Aeronautical expereince required is covered in CAO 40.1.0 para 8A.2, basically 50 hours ICUS, or 25 hours ICUS after an approved course.

Icarus2001
17th Mar 2011, 05:26
The 5700KG threshold was dropped a long time ago.

Grogmonster
17th Mar 2011, 11:19
Ahh!!!! It never ceases to amaze me that no really knows what rules apply. There are three categories of Operations over 5700kg. Private, Charter and RPT as it stands at the moment. That is just the starting point. Then there comes the requirements for Piston, Turbo prop and Turbo jet. It goes on from there.

Basically I think the question you were getting at is this. When does a pilot need an ATPL to act as pilot in command of an aircraft over 5700kg? Answer is when that aircraft is in commercial ops and requires two pilots, as per limitations section, and/or is over 5700kg. Except that in private operations it still requires the two crew but then there is no requirement for the class of licence.

There are some aircraft over 5700kg that only require one pilot and therefore can be operated by a CPL single pilot in Charter but not RPT. Confusing isn't it?

Groggy.