PDA

View Full Version : Representation for Student Pilots

The Kelpie
15th Mar 2011, 21:04
Does anyone think that establishing a Student Pilot Association to represent Student Pilots and give them the voice they desperately need is good idea?

mcgrath50
15th Mar 2011, 23:38
Yes! But how? Who by? What would they be representing for? Would it just be for commercial student pilots, privates as well, including glider/RAAus etc.? If you have a PPL but just fly for fun can you join? Is it purely to represent against dodgey operators or is there a wider purpose?

I like the idea but think if professional GA struggles to get union membership, student pilots will be even harder. If it was running though I would have definitely joined and I think it could do a lot of good.

Capt Claret
16th Mar 2011, 00:58
I think a far better idea is for all pilot groups to bury the enmity that exists, combine, and present a united front to employers, nationwide. Until this happens, we'll continue to be played off, one group against the other, to the detriment of all but the bean counters.

Student pilots do deserve a voice, they could be offered appropriate membership & coverage within such a body. :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th Mar 2011, 01:25
Good Idea - IF only.....

Perhaps a better idea would be for ALL Aviation Industry employees to join an established Industrial Union.

The advantages..?

Full time professional union representation,
Nationwide standard,
ALL parties represented,
All Airlines under the one Union,
More 'representation' = more 'clout' - as/when/if required.

=NO more 'shonky' operators at any level....

Imagine a 'shonky' operator refusing 'fair' T's & C's....and then having difficulty crewing any aircraft, obtaining fuel, maintenance, etc

Would soon bring them back to 'the table' I would think....

Cheers:ok:

Disclaimer - Yes - I am 'biased', having had an excellent Union representation which certainly did 'achieve' - in a 'former life'....:)

Worrals in the wilds
16th Mar 2011, 02:51
Are students eligible to join any of the pilots' unions/associations?

sisemen
16th Mar 2011, 03:23
Er......AOPA???

solowflyer
16th Mar 2011, 03:23
Student pilots do have the strongest voice of all right there in your back pocket. NEVER EVER PAY UP FRONT if your voice is not herd then put your wallet away and walk down the road to the next flying school.

Worrals in the wilds
19th Mar 2011, 06:50
AOPA seems to be more of a representative group for aircraft owners and private flyers than an industrial union, would that be right?

Nothing wrong with that and it would suit aspiring PPLs nicely, but wannabe commercial pilots have a different set of needs. An association with a focus on aspiring professionals would be a good way to educate future commercial pilots about terms, conditions and pineapple avoidance once they enter the aviation industry, and provide information about training rackets, up front fees and other traps for unwary aviators. It could also provide education about applying for jobs, what quals to get etc.

Like anything else though, it would need some poor, selfless sod to set it up and run it, spend their life getting it into shape and then put up with limitless complaining from all the armchair critics before finally throwing it all in with a spectacular 'sod the lot of you bastards' rant at the AGM and then on PPRuNe :} :sad:.

Out of interest, does AFAP cover all professional pilots or just airline types?

The Kelpie
19th Mar 2011, 07:42
WorrLs

That is the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Not a union per se, but more an association that provides an advice role for the aspiring pilot and a voice when they are at their most vulnerable facing problematic flight training organizations. A hand holding role if you like prior to and during commercial training.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Capn Bloggs
16th May 2011, 14:39
Bob Hawke. :}