PDA

View Full Version : Emirates F/O vs. Flydubai CPT.

Life boat
15th Mar 2011, 19:40
I would like to ask if anyone has had the option to choose between
Emirates F/O and Flydubai Captains positions, and what the outcome of
that choice was.

If one was contemplating the move to Dubai for max. 3 years
(the wife´s initial response to a possible move), would it not be
better to go for the CPT. position at Flydubai...?
Or, if it would be for a longer time, could it not be considered a better option to go for Emirates.

I have not yet applied for any of the said positions.

I do work for a European Charter (leisure) Airline, and I have been operating
as Captain on B737NG´s for a number of years. So I do meet the requirements for both positions.
(I realise that many of you will tell me to stay put, but that does not answer my questions)

Also, would it not be possible to have some balanced comments on life in Dubai, from pilots who actually enjoy living there,
as I have read a lot of the negative comment, and as valid as they are, it would be nice to actually have some positive comments,
to get an idea about a move to Dubai.

Best regards.
Life Boat

Can anyone shed a light on whether or not FD crew have any agreement with EK for staff travel.

QAR
16th Mar 2011, 01:21
Just my opinion...

Both are good options..both have good an bad...

since you really want to come to dubai..why not try to get both the interview and most importantly PASS the interview and there after decide if you get both..

THERE IS NO POINT COUNTING THE CHICK BEFORE THE EGGS HATCH!!

Wizofoz
16th Mar 2011, 04:04
If it IS only 3 years, you're probably are better off going for FD. Shorter training as you're all ready typed, you'll stay current Command which will be important when you leave, if you live cheap you'll probably be able to save- not so much if you are an F/O in company accomodation in EK- AND if you go to EK you might get put on the Airbus, which is a TERRIBLE lifestyle.

If you think it MIGHT be a loger term thing, it''s a harder choice that might come out in favour of EK (though, bear in mind, times to upgrade are bound to increase).

Good luck!

Life boat
16th Mar 2011, 08:14
Thank you guys,

I appreciate you both taking the time.

QAR, you have a valid point, and I am not suggesting that I would pass both interviews,
I do not even know if one would know that you had interviewed with the other,
and that it would not be possible to do both interviews.

But I look at it this way, I make an initial assesment of where I would prefer to
go, then apply for that job, and should I not get it then I can try for the other job.
Reason being, it will be near impossible to get time off from current job to go to
just one interview (3-5 days I imagine), let alone 2 interviews.
Another reason, should one be lucky enough to pass both interviews,
then you would have to reject one of them, eliminating that airline for future job prospects.

Then again, perhaps one fails both interviews, problem solved.....!:ok:

Best regards,
Life boat

Kapitanleutnant
16th Mar 2011, 16:04
Just my opinion here as well.....

For just a 3 years stay financially speaking, Captain at FlyDubai would be better.

As one said, it will keep you current as left seater for a future airline if you find you don't enjoy Dubai and as I read the website for CA pay, it's about 57,000 dirhams/month (11,150 Euros/month) but you are on your own for housing, transportation and utilities which are all included with EK. However, with the prices of housing in Dubai these days, you can find something nice for not so much.

Again, just looking at it from a financial standpoint for a 3 year stint. If you're hear for the long run, EK would be better.

K

123 Block Myself
16th Mar 2011, 19:03
All depends on whether you are focusing on the take home pay, flying the big birds of keeping the extra stripe on the shoulder.

If you haven't flown internationally on the Airbus/Boeing, then choose Emirates for the new and additional experience.

If you have, keep the stripe for future contracts.