PDA

View Full Version : Gliding to PPL(A), it was fun!

MALT68
14th Mar 2011, 14:56
Hi All,

Thought I'd create this happy thread from a post inserted recently in the somewhat not so happy RACWA thread saga!

Mention was made of a glider pilot approaching RACWA to gain their PPL.

My own humble experience from gaining my PPL in 1995 in a C172.
At the time I had my FAI Silver C (3 hour solo flight, 50km cross country and 1,000m height gain) as well as 270 gliding hours under my belt (since 1987).

Decided to do it full time during a 3 week break.

I took 5.5 hours to go solo in the circuit (28 landings in 2 days). The upper air-work was very familiar and quickly covered. Radio and engine procedures took a bit more practice.

25 hours to get my GFPT (64 landings since start and 9 days since start).

38 hours to get my PPL(A) (81 landings since start and 20 days after starting).

Back in 1995, cost me around $3,500

OK looking back, some say I could've done in less hours, but the extra hours allowed me to get my head around the controlled airspace and radio procedures as well as the novelty of engine and fuel management. Forced landing practice was a doddle.

I am sure there will be replies about people doing their conversions from gliding to PPL in less time, for less expense, and how much more skilled and special they are when compared to me, etc. Well good for them and I hope they learned valuable skills and had fun too!

If for nothing else, I had fun doing my PPL(A)!

Had a fantastic instructor in Des O'Driscoll. I also did my CSU and initial Night VFR rating with him too (R.I.P. 1999 from non-flying cause).

Love both gliding and power flying, and still doing both today. I now instruct in gliders, and have endorsements in various light twins. All good fun.

Like I quip to others, I do my day job to support my fun (but slightly expensive) hobbies.

Fun is what it is all about!

Fly safe!

P.S.
Below are the regs that cover recognised flight times and aeronautical experience required for PPL(A).

As per provision of the CARs:

5.84 Private pilot (aeroplane) licence: aeronautical experience required
(1) For the purposes of paragraph 5.77 (1) (f), a person’s aeronautical experience must consist of at least 40 hours of flight time as a pilot, being flight time that includes:
(a) at least 5 hours of general flight time as pilot in command; and
(b) at least 5 hours of cross‑country flight time as pilot in command; and
(c) at least 2 hours of instrument flight time.
(2) The 40 hours must be recognised flight time that was flown in a registered aeroplane, recognised aeroplane, helicopter, gyroplane, glider, power‑assisted sailplane or group A ultralight.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1) (b), the flight time must include 1 flight of at least 150 miles, that includes at least 1 full stop landing at, and at least 1 take‑off from, each of 2 or more aerodromes:
(a) that are not the aerodrome from which the flight commenced; and
(b) that are not within the student pilot area limit of the aerodrome from which the flight commenced.
(4) For the purposes of subregulation (3), a landing is a full stop landing if, after landing, the aeroplane’s speed is reduced to taxi speed before take‑off begins.

Recognised flight time:
(d) in the case of flight time in a glider, or power‑assisted sailplane:
(i) flown by the holder of an FAI Silver C Certificate, or a higher certificate, issued by the Gliding Federation of Australia; and
(ii) recorded in the holder’s log book and certified by a member of the Gliding Federation of Australia who is authorised by the Federation to certify flight time; or