PDA

View Full Version : From Start to Finish, the PPL Diary

ah147
13th Mar 2011, 20:58
So, after posing the question whether people would be interested and searching for a diary myself before I started lessons, I think some people may find it useful to see a PPL diary with the ups, downs and the mistakes written in, but also as a nice diary for me to look back on. I'm not much of a writer, but here goes:

Lesson 1- 12/3/11
The point of this lessons was basically to teach the effects of controls, get used to the attitude needed and the basic checks, a little bit of taxiing and get used to the proper look-out.

So it all started in the briefing room, clear and concise with diagrams which was perfect for how I learn. Instead of writing everything up, my instructor just drew a quick diagram to explain everything to me and off we went out to check the aircraft with my shiny new PA-28 check-sheet.

We went through all the checksheet nice and slowly with him talking me through how to do every part and then did it all again with me on my own, him pointing out just a nice little extra way to do something.

So we taxiied off to the holding point, just following him through on the pedals, mostly a little bit overwhelmed by everything going on around me, and did the powechecks which he let me do off my shiny checklist. I actually found this really interesting, especially when I learnt its nearly at the same RPM as cruising RPM.

Whilst we were waiting to backtrack down the runway, a lightweight came into land, a weird one with the prop behind the cockpit "facing" backwards. Just as my instructor was commenting on the weird little lightweight it bounced about 4 foot up and landed on its nosewheel. Apparently his landings are always like that...

So now we're backtracking down the runway and he's explaining that we always try and use the full length of the runway, and take off at 75 knots, and we always try and get a nice good swing onto the centre line and.....bang we're off, the powers on full and before I know it the altimeters reading 500ft.

The lesson itself was really interesteing. To start off with I was just getting used to the attitude or "picture out the screen". I was really struggling until he said "Just picture a beer can on the cowling, the top is where the horizon should be" I was fine after that.

So, because I was getting comfortable, he told me to close my eyes, and he'd throw it around a bit, play with the trim wheel and tell me to take control. Wow, the second he let go of the controls the nose really dived/raised with more force than I'd ever have expected.

The other bits of the lesson that I thought was great was how much the nose dropped to the right when the power was down and how much it raised to the left on, its amazing that just the force of the pistons in the engine can do that. Also the effect of the rudder, I had to do it a few times to get it into my head that if you hold it just a bit too long you start to get some serious roll.

So now we're heading to the circuit and he explained the basic outlay of the righthand circuit at the airfield and before I know it he's talking me through getting us onto approach, with me completely in control, altimeters reading about 50ft...and his hands still aren't on the yoke...40ft I'm bricking it now....30ft...20ft and his hands finally go on but he's still talking, look towards the end of the runway, don't take your eyes off it....slowly help me raise the nose....this is really taking a long time to touch down...."John is it supposed to take this long?"

"Ash, we're already down"

So he let me taxi back down to the apron and we shut down.

Absolutely great instructor I had loads of fun and couldn't believe we'd been up an hour. I walked in and booked a lesson for Sunday.

WelshHopper
13th Mar 2011, 21:04
Hi ah,

You are starting exactly the same time as me, can't wait to read your experiences as well, will be nice to know how someone else is progressing.

Good luck!

WelshHopper

ah147
13th Mar 2011, 21:39
Lesson 2: 13/3/11

Arrived at the airfield at 0930. Compared to the lovely sunny day we had yesterday I honestly believed we wouldn't be flying today as it was rather hazy with a cloudbase of around 3000ft. But I rang up and my instructor reckoned it would clear. Sure enough, at 0930 it had mostly cleared, the horizons still a little hazy, but the low fogs gone and the clouds up at 5000ft now.

I walked into the briefing area and he said, "Well, you've bought your checklist, what are you waiting for?" and he gave me the keys and I went outside. I went all the way around the outside of the aircraft, checked under the cowling, checked the electronics and lights but bottled it actually getting in the aircraft and doing the interior checks and I went back inside. All the checks were normal apart from the forward fuel drain, lots of clear little bubbles at the bottom of the tube, uh oh...but we'll come back to that later.

So inside a briefing on todays lesson, today we're setting the HI and learning to fly straight and level on heading at a constant altitude (+/- 20ft). Nice and quick but mostly words this time, but it was nice and simple and I understood straight away.

So we're outside now and heading for the aircraft and he asks me if anything was up with the checks and I tell him about the water bubbles on the forward fuel drain. So he went up and checked it again and asks me if it was raining when I checked it as well :p

So now we're getting into the aircraft and my hand pulled a bit of trim off the door and slid down behind the trim and scraped off the staples, that stung a bit. But we crack on through the interior checks and just before start up he asks me if I've checked myself :confused: and points out that I'm dripping blood all over the seat from my finger :mad:

Bandaged up we start up and I taxi up the holding point for power checks, and I get to use another page from my shiny checklist for the power checks and pre-take off checks. Right now he's explaining to me that its a good idea to wait a minute after power checks to see if anyone calls downwind and have a good visual check.

Nothing, nothing at all, time for my first radio transmission:
"Golf tango delta, ready for departure" quickly followed by "Golf tango delta, backtracking"

About 400ft from the end of the runway "Golf *** *** on short final" and all I hear off my instructor is "Right rudder fully on....power up....75knots pull up" I'm away, my first take off! (For those interested the incoming pilot hadn't gone through the circuit, had just turned onto approach from .5nm away and called in)

So today is the same as yesterday nearly, close eyes, let my instructor play with the power, attitude, trim, heading and altitude, open eyes and fix. In comes PATH.
Power
Attitue
Trim
Heading
and then climb to correct attitude. We did this at differents speeds, altitude and heading, absolutely great. We also did a little bit of level turns and he introduced me properly to the local area and circuit layout. And balancing the aircraft by stepping on the ball, in the end had to turn the rudder control knob a fair bit to the left actually.

So this time I fly back to the circuit looking at the landmarks and remembering my rough back bearing from heading out, and I flew the circuit myself and the landing was pretty much the same as yesterday, except J was working the rudder quite a lot due to the crosswind.

In and I paid for the lesson and my membership fee, I'm sure this is the club for me now. Lesson 3 is booked for next Saturday and we're climbing and descending. Also I'm going to try and get my Air Law exam booked for next Sunday.

Ash

KieranBal
13th Mar 2011, 21:52
Hi Ash,

Keep going with this- I'm finding it all very interesting! I'm at about 12 hours through my ppl at Southend Airport, Essex and hopefully doing my first solo very soon! :ooh:

Sounds like it's all going well for you and you've found a nice place to fly! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it :)

KieranBal

starrzo
14th Mar 2011, 14:48
Good read Ah, keep it up! It's something I have also started :ok:

You are starting exactly the same time as me, can't wait to read your experiences as well, will be nice to know how someone else is progressing.

Where is your diary WelshHopper? I'd be interested in having a read :8

WelshHopper
14th Mar 2011, 14:51
It's the URL on my profile (Mods have advised me I'm not allowed to post links to a PPL Blog), also just PMd it to you.

:O

starrzo
14th Mar 2011, 15:15
Thanks, just got it :)

Interesting that the link isn't allowed, I guess it'll be a matter of time before mine is removed. :O Maybe a dedicated 'PPL blog links' thread would be a good compromise?

ah147
22nd Mar 2011, 00:35
Lesson Three - 19/03/11

Climbing and descending.

Turned up about 4pm on an absolutely gorgeous day for my third lesson. I only rang at 3pm so was really suprised that they managed to fit me in on a sunny, Friday afternoon, with my regular instructor in the same plane as the last two lessons, as every other time I've had an hours notice they've been fully booked.

So we started on the ground brief, and I'm beginning to realise where flying gets interesting. PAT the CAT, PAT the CAT. APT CAT so on and so forth with cruise descents, normal descents, glide descents, set speeds, set RPMs, set attitudes etc etc. That was a big influx for my little head.

So now I'm out checking the aircraft, something I'm comfortable with now, and just to throw a spanner into my plan, I'm told that my instructor would like to give no prompts until we're off the ground. I just about managed it after being told to stand on right rudder a bit more.

The actual climbing and descending, well I could climb and descend no problem at all, the problem was levelling out at the correct altitude on the climb. It took me a while to get the hang on lowereing the nose that much, I think it's because the nose is raised so much for the climb, I'm not sure, but eventually I was told I had the hang of it, felt to me like pure dumb luck in all honesty, and was asked if I'd like to try turning in climb and descent coming out at correct heading and altitude. I managed to get this down to +/- 50ft and +/- 5 degrees which I was quite proud of. But still getting this whole feeling of sensory overload, properly using the instruments, controlling the aircraft, keeping a lookout all at once.

So we're coming in to land which I managed to do on voice prompts alone. I don't know how as reading on here lots of people seem to have a problem with it, but the way my instructor has explained it to me, it just seems kind of natural, a kind of swooping motion in my mind.

I taxiied back to where the aircraft is kept and over the grass to spin it round for the first time on my own, after being shown a quick way to scatter the birds :=

So overall I found this lesson quite difficult. In all honesty I think I may need to recap for a bit next lesson, but my instructor says I've said that to him every lesson and been fine. We shall see...

WelshHopper
22nd Mar 2011, 08:06
Keep it coming AH,

I'm up on Sunday, can't wait to get started, it's been too long a gap!

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2011, 20:13
Interesting that the link isn't allowed, I guess it'll be a matter of time before mine is removed.

You are very welcome to post original content here. What we do not allow is PPRuNe to be used simply as a means to link to blogs / material on other sites.

The bottom line is - if you have something to say here, say it here.

Of course the mods still have the final editorial control! :)

SD

Lister Noble
22nd Mar 2011, 21:16
I think Mazzies log a few years back, something like Zero to 45 was the most interesting,sad that he does not seem to post or fly anymore.

Lister:)

zeddie
23rd Mar 2011, 18:08
Really love this blog.. keep it coming!