PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Safety Bonus Day 16th April 2011

alphaalpha
13th Mar 2011, 17:32
More IWM Duxford Bonus Days for 2011.

On 16th April, we have arranged a great Bonus Day to kick-off the flying season: an informal Safety Bonus Day – Fly-in or Drive-in
Following the popular format of previous years, the Safety Day will be a mixture of informal presentations and opportunities to chat to the professionals and ask the questions that have been bothering you. The presentations will be repeated, so you can arrive and leave when it suits you best. The Safety Day will be held in the new AirSpace Hangar and is open from 10.30 until 16.30; the airfield is open from 10.00 until 18.00 (local time).

The program has something for every GA pilot:

There will be four presentations running from 11.30 in the morning and repeated at 14.00 in the afternoon:

• Avoiding Controlled Airspace Infringements - Progress (Jonathan Smith, NATS) at 11.30 and 14.00
• How D & D Can help you (Martin Smith, D&D) at 11.55 and 14.25
• Stall-Spin Accidents - the biggest killers (Andy Sephton, GASCo) at 12.20 and 14.50
• Weather: Five things to spoil your day Ian Simpson, Met Office) at 12.45 and 15.15

As last year there will be a set of informal table-top chats – walk around and talk to the experts in your own time:

• CAS Infringements: AWARE demonstration; radar replays; listening squawks etc (Jonathan Smith, NATS)
• Practical tips on using AIS Notam System & Demo (Colin Potter, AIS)
• GA Airworthiness, operations and other CAA topics (Neil Williams, CAA)
• What London FIS can do - meet the FISOs (London FIR FISOs)
• CFI Corner - licensing, renewals, ratings - all you wanted to ask(Carol Cooper, CFI and CAA Examiner at Andrewsfield)
• Farnborough LARS - meet a controller (Andy McKnight, NATS Farnborough)
• See how D&D can help - it's no trouble (Martin Smith, D&D)
• The AOPA Mentoring Scheme – extend and improve your flying and meet AOPA (the AOPA team)
• AFPEx Demonstrations - How to file your flight plans (Simon Bennett, NATS)
• Flying Weather and other questions (Ian Simpson, Met Office)
• What do the Accident Stats teach us? (Andy Sephton, GASCo)

In recognition of the importance of the Safety theme, there’s no charge for museum admission and the Safety Day programme, just a discounted £7 landing fee. Also, if the weather is poor on 16th April, or if you can’t fly in, you can come in free by car – but you must pre-book. Call 01223 833376 to arrange your PPR. To avoid congestion, we are operating a 'broad slot' system to spread landing times - so call soon!

It will be a great day out – interesting and informative and at a fantastic fly-in venue.

You will find more details on the IWM Duxford website: go to this link and navigate to Flying at Duxford:
IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum (http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/)

The airfield team look forward to hearing from you (01223 833376) and seeing you on the day.

The next discounted Duxford Bonus Day for all aircraft is 15th May 2011.

Alan.

airgirl
15th Mar 2011, 13:42
If it is anything like last year it will be well worth going!!

I have just tried to book in to arrive by car and the gentleman in ATC said that he knew nothing about people booking in for arriving by car and did not have any sheets for it. He took my name and car reg so just hoping all is ok on the day???? :confused::confused::confused:

alphaalpha
16th Mar 2011, 23:23
airgirl:

It will be OK. Most Bonus Days are only for fly-in, but the Safety Day is also for people who can't fly-in. I'm working at Duxford on Saturday and I'll put a note on the booking sheet to make it clear. If you can, give me a call on Saturday 01223 833376 to check that we do have your details, please.

Alan.