PDA

View Full Version : Cancer

antonov09
13th Mar 2011, 14:35
Do they check you for cancer when you have your Class One medical renewed? And if so how do they do it?

Would it show up in your blood test? Apologies if the question is daft but the medical side of things in aviation is never my strong point.

homonculus
14th Mar 2011, 09:06
no and no

A medical is just a series of tests to check some things are normal. A medical does not mean you are fit, nor that you have a life expectancy. A population that passes medicals will have less medical issues than a population that fails, which makes the CAA feel nice and warm inside, but the individual merely demonstrates an absence of a linited list of defects at the time of testing.

gingernut
14th Mar 2011, 19:36
"Cancer" is somewhat a generic term.

They won't specifically look for one particular cancer, but the questions they ask, or some of the tests , may spark further investigations.(Eg "have you had a persistent cough?" Or the finger prick anaemia test they do.)

It sounds like you've got some worries, care to get it off your chest here?

dodge nitro
17th Feb 2012, 22:09
I am new to avation just working on getting out of school but i have a question as regards having cancer.
I was wondering does anybody know when the restricton on my Medical will be lifted. I was 11 years clear when My medical was issued but yet a restriction was placed on my medical, does anybody know where I can locate the regs on this, and will this be a problem in getting a job?

Thanks in advance.