PDA

View Full Version : Squadron mugs - The good ones!

MG
12th Mar 2011, 17:38
Does anybody know the address of the maker of the good, thick sqn mugs? Not the ones from Lincoln but the German ones that were pretty bulllet proof. My first sqn was Bruggen and I treasured the quality of the mug until some 'person' nicked it!

Mandator
12th Mar 2011, 18:10
Was the name Schonwald or something like that?

muttywhitedog
12th Mar 2011, 18:14
I remember sending quite a few payments to this company:

Phil Jost - Bacharach - Souveniers (http://www.phil-jost-germany.com/products.php)

Manandboy
12th Mar 2011, 18:21
Have just checked the base of my first tour mug (35 years old, now used for toothbrushes) and my third tour mug. Second tour was a different story!

2 manufacturers were:

Bauscher Weiden, Bavaria

Schoenwald

Both still exist, Google is your friend
:)

binsleepen
12th Mar 2011, 18:27
Phil Jost was the guy I used a couple of years ago. Very good and spoke English. He also has the art work for most Sqn crests already.

Regards

MG
12th Mar 2011, 18:53
Thanks guys, I'll do some Googling!

BEagle
12th Mar 2011, 19:04
Yup, my 56 Sqn mug from Phil.Jost is a treasured item! Bauscher of Weiden, Bavaria, supplied the high quality porcelain mugs and Phil.Jost did the painting. Superb quality and a cold war icon! But became rather expensive, so I was tasked with sourcing the usual cheap UK mugs for everyday use:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/mugs.jpg

Drill 56(F) mug on left; cere' Jost mug on right.

Try Phil Jost - Bacharach - Souveniers (http://www.phil-jost-germany.com/contact.php) or ring +49 6743 1224

Phil. Jost is at Bacharach/Rhein - one of the most attractive Rhineland towns in Germany.

MG
12th Mar 2011, 19:51
How much better does the RH one look? Thanks Beags.

Tiger_mate
12th Mar 2011, 20:46
I have one similar to the right one above, and "Schonwald" is written in tiny letters on its base. Drop it on your foot and risk a broken toe! They are the mug version of a Buccaneer or Hind helicopter.

BBadanov
12th Mar 2011, 20:49
Yep, my XV Sqn one has Bauscher Weiden, Bavaria, on the bottom, and am having a coffee out of it right now. Unfortunately have lost my 16 Sqn one.

Exact same as Beags' right mug, but unfortunately over the past 30 years the gold ring around the lip, my name, and the gold in the badge have almost disappeared. Retirement doesn't help, it gets zapped in the dishwasher every day - that never happened on the squadron!!

binsleepen
12th Mar 2011, 21:17
Tiger mate,

Considering your name and the mugs come from Germany, rather than a Hind or Bucc perhaps the mug equivalent of a King Tiger. A bit un PC but hey.

Regards

BEagle
12th Mar 2011, 21:23
...the gold ring around the lip, my name, and the gold in the badge have almost disappeared.

That was always the problem - and the replacement cost was rather too high for the average 'price sensitive' squadron shag, hence the cheap 'n cheerful everyday mug which was about ¼ the price of a 'proper' Jost mug.

An efficient design, the Jost mug, as it provides the maximum volume for the minimum mass of porcelain - those who suffer from insomnia can brush up their differential calculus to prove it, if they wish. But a side effect is that the mug design is prone to spillage as the natural wavelength of the mug's contents is readily excited by walking across the crewroom - cue many damp patches (on the floor...:ooh:) and scalded wrists. Not a problem with the cheapo mug though!

Incidentally, NEVER put a Jost mug in a microwave - the gold will disappear in a cloud of smoke.

I wonder whatever happened to the coffee machine we were persuaded to hire when I was on 56? We were told that the free coffee which came with the monthly hire would easily last the month as it would do nnn cups...

Except that 'cups' to the supplier meant twee little after-dinner demi-tasse thimbles, rather than traditional aircrew Jost buckets. So come the first week of hire and we'd used an entire month's worth of coffee - and the machine didn't seem to like the NAFFI stuff... Neither did we!

F3sRBest
14th Mar 2011, 11:23
My XV one has Shoenwald on the bottom - still on my desk/daily use now 18 yrs on!

BEagle
14th Mar 2011, 12:55
Obtaining the cheapo mugs was a breeze - and for some reason known only to helpful stackers, the boxes arrived through the supply system thanks to mates of mates....

A chap of slightly small stature on 56 had ordered a mug with a name on it, as you do. A joker changed his request to read 'Vermin Horrid', after the little bloke in Python's Time Bandits. He took it in good spirit, but after a while the joke began to wear off. So the next time we placed some orders, he asked for one with the correct name. "No *****ng 'Vermin' this time, OK?", he anounced to the assembled throng.

What a mistakea to makea!

The box arrived, but before we took it to the crewroom, we quietly found the new mug, pinched his old one and polished it until it gleamed like new, then put it in the box and took it to the crewroom.

Was he impressed to find 'another' Vermin? Err, not really...:\ We let him get really rather pi$$ed off - then gave him his new mug to put him out of his misery. Collapse of stout party, as they say!

A typically innocent and, yes, childish jape of the type which brightened things up in crewooms back then...;)

ian16th
14th Mar 2011, 15:18
Here at the Southern tip of Africa, today I can have any mug that I supply, decorated with any image that I supply in JPG format.

I used the retailer to have a pattern sandblasted onto a glass beer mug and only perused at the tea/coffee mug samples while I was waiting.

The porcelain tea/coffee mugs seemed to be marketed mainly to the proud new parent market, but I was informed that they could print anything and the finish was 'dishwasher proof'.

This service was available for 30 rand, £2-72 at today's exchange rate.

If such a service is available in this forgotten corner of the former Empire, similar service must be available in civilized places.

MG
14th Mar 2011, 16:56
Just emailed Stephan Jost. He's doing a run of mugs this month. All he needed was a link to the crest required. Sweet!!

Lima Juliet
14th Mar 2011, 21:13
Jost mugs are the way ahead - just don't drop your Flt Cdr's on a bit of concrete! I think this why we have the word "smithereens" and I was a poor Fg Off for yet another month!

By the way, drinking from a Flt Cdr's mug is also ill-advised having seen what a well-hung Ulsterman did to one in the crew room following a disagreement with the very same Flt Cdr - very unhygenic! :yuk:

LJ

MG
14th Mar 2011, 21:30
I'm used to working with crewmen; never leave anything lying around, especially your fg helmet with a boom mike!

Lima Juliet
14th Mar 2011, 21:33
It looked like a thimble on a baby's arm!

foldingwings
14th Mar 2011, 21:55
BBad!

it gets zapped in the dishwasher every day - that never happened on the squadron!!

Nope, mate, it didn't! Like most aircrew, one's mug was lucky to get a swill out once a week and, for some, have the mould scraped off the top of the residual coffee when you got back from leave!

Great days!

Foldie:cool:

BEagle
14th Mar 2011, 22:06
Knowing that we would invariably become paper cup critical on APC, I took my cheapo mug stuffed into my bag which came out later on the VC10. It survived its 'ordeal by movers' and I was able to use a proper mug whilst my colleagues suffered paper cups from in-flight catering.

Except, that is, for the NRL who thought that he could help himself to my mug. Which is, for most people, something one simply doesn't do.

He only tried it once - then I dipped it into neat bleach and Teepol and left it out in the sun to dry whilst I counted my 'lucky red' bullet holes. When he later took a swig, he spat the lot out - served the silly sod right!

Trogger
23rd Mar 2011, 21:02
I had a 92 Sqdn Schönwald mug from Wildenrath. Served me well for almost 30 years until recently when it took a fall into the sink and suffered a crack which rendered it U/S.

I contacted Schönwald in the vain hope that they might still make this style of mug but they informed me they stopped production back in 1990. My daily brew just didn't taste the same in any other mug.

By sheer luck I found another on eBay in the USA. Arrived a few weeks ago now and bears the Apollo 11 mission badge, "Patsy L. White" on one side and "Ramstein RCC Germany" on the other.
My daily cuppa is now complete once again. If this one lasts for the next 30 years I'll be happy!!!

Trogger
23rd Mar 2011, 23:44
Just emailed Stephan Jost. He's doing a run of mugs this month. All he needed was a link to the crest required. Sweet!!

Are these mugs the same design as the Schönwald mugs?

This is the one which got dropped and it's replacement...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6126/p1030726o.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1846/photo14pe.jpg

asdfghjkl
23rd Mar 2011, 23:47
Pictures of a cup? Is that what counts as entertainment in your lives? Sad or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

Trogger
24th Mar 2011, 00:10
Not entertainment....

I'm sure we could get one made with "Troll" on it...:rolleyes:

MG
24th Mar 2011, 11:20
I should get my new mug in a couple of weeks; I'm hoping it's exactly the same as Trogger's.

I'm now proud to say that this thread has reached the elevated status as being refered to on the 'Oid Mods' thread. It was used in reference to irrelevant and pointless threads which are allowed to continue; someone has been reading my OJARs!:D

Trogger
24th Mar 2011, 12:58
Having a decent brew is hardly "irrelevant and pointless" - unless you are happy drinking from recycled newspapers or styrofoam thimbles...

The old Schönwald squadron mugs are a piece of history - and, I kid you not, tea really does taste better drunk from one.

MG, I'd be interested in what you receive from Stephan Jost and if they are of a similar quality to the Schönwalds. :ok:

Easy Street
24th Mar 2011, 16:23
I have a fairly old RAFG-style mug from which the gold paint has almost disappeared. Has anyone had any success with repainting theirs? I suspect it involves special paint and baking it in the oven; any ideas?

esa-aardvark
24th Mar 2011, 23:55
re Gold paint, in another existence I "studied" this process, I remember it as being "cold" fired at a few hundred degrees Celcius. You could google "gold paint fired" and try glass paint which will last a few years, and is fired in a domestic oven. You will need quite a steady hand to get the gold in the right place. Hope that helps.

maxburner
26th Mar 2011, 09:13
In daily use since 1976:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/davidhlewis/Mug/DSCF0573.jpg

MG
26th Mar 2011, 19:54
Trogger, I'll let you all know when it comes. I confess that I didn't ask when I ordered it. I'm guessing that Stephan Jost just decorates the mugs so it could be of any make; let's hope it's the same, old great castle-wall thickness mug!

Really annoyed
26th Mar 2011, 20:14
http://www.coffee5023.com/wp-content/uploads/coffee%20mugs%20funny%20sayings.jpg

In daily use since 09:20 this morning.:rolleyes:

Mogwi
27th Mar 2011, 17:51
In response to Trogger's 30 years, I have a Schoenwald 3(F) mug which I was given on joining the Sqn in 1978! Still in use and almost perfect nick!

MG
9th Apr 2011, 13:10
First drink of tea from my new, shiny mug! Worth the wait and the money. Not cheap but I'm not telling you all exactly how much. I'd forgotten how colourful they are when they're new. A bit of a different mug than my 20-year old one but still very nice and the same size

And now, this thread is at the top again, just to annoy a few!!

Really annoyed
9th Apr 2011, 15:48
I drank out of a new mug once. That's it.

Back to the top.

PICKS135
10th Apr 2011, 16:50
MG wrote

First drink of tea from my new, shiny mug! Worth the wait and the money. Not cheap but I'm not telling you all exactly how much. I'd forgotten how colourful they are when they're new. A bit of a different mug than my 20-year old one but still very nice and the same size

And now, this thread is at the top again, just to annoy a few!!

Take it we arent to be privy to the price in case OC Domestic reads PPRuNE :E:ok:

MG
10th Apr 2011, 16:53
No, my 0A is quite happy and thinks it's too nice to drink from!

Corporal Clott
11th Apr 2011, 06:24
MG

How different is the mug to yesteryear's?

Cpl Clott

Lon More
11th Apr 2011, 08:05
Got some GAF Oktoberfest mugs somewhere. Good quality and hold a more respectable amount of coffee. Lid keeps the flies out too.

MG
11th Apr 2011, 19:46
Cpl Clott,
The artwork is lovely and better than I remember. The mug is slightly thinner around the rim but still good enough for me to be happy, and I'm a right picky so and so!

Trogger
15th Apr 2011, 16:08
Oh do post a pic of your new Vessel, Drinking, Beverage, Hot, MkII....

DHI
16th Apr 2011, 21:58
My XV Sqn one has Bauscher Weiden, Bavaria Germany and serialed 205 on the bottom. All gold intact but the the blue from the crest has long gone. Think this one may have to join me in the middle east after this short break!!

MG
18th Apr 2011, 13:26
Trogger,
Sorry, if I post a pic on here you'll be able to see which sqn it was and maybe some will put 2 and 2 together, thus spoiling the anonymity held so dearly!

Anyway, I can't be a*sed!

Kreuger flap
18th Apr 2011, 15:27
Are you girls still comparing crockery? Do you get this excited about a side plate or a saucer?

The B Word
18th Apr 2011, 17:42
Do you get this excited about a side plate or a saucer?

http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-cars-models/diecast-car-image-large/hrh-prince-william-and-kate-middleton-tea-cup-saucer_290522805902.jpg

Obviously, old boy, where's your patriotism??? :ok:

The B Word

Trogger
19th Apr 2011, 09:16
Oooooo, must get a set for my collection!

Kreuger flap, need something to help sustain me as I read all about the Walt in the Ferry world.......

MG, take the pic in the dark - I have a set of NVG...

BEagle
19th Apr 2011, 10:36
Well, The B Word, that cup and saucer should sit nicely between the pink plastic Mosque Alarm Clock and the Elvis Presley Dambusters Clock Plate Of Tutankhamun on my mantelpiece......:yuk:

Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson might be interested? As he once wrote:

Back in February I told you about my cupboard of ****. It’s a glass-fronted Georgian cabinet in which we house quite the most startling collection of pointless, tasteless rubbish it’s possible to conceive.

A particular favourite of mine is the plastic figurine of a New York fireman carrying his wounded buddy through what appears to be a half-eaten tomato sandwich. But it is, in fact, supposed to be the ruined remains of the World Trade Center.

Then there’s the Corsican shepherd with the melted face, the endless array of stupid creatures made from shells, a particularly horrible snow shaker and a Jesus on a rope.

British seaside gift shops are a fine hunting ground for all this stuff but even better are retail establishments within 400 yards of anything to do with the Catholic church. You should see my alabaster Last Supper in which all the disciples are wearing coats made from different coloured glitter.

:\

Corporal Clott
19th Apr 2011, 19:17
Reminds me of...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Lafyar/CollectableJPA.jpg

...which was a spoof of...

http://www.bradford.co.uk/images/product_images/original_images/426_B4005_01U_BIG.jpg

...but having seen the strap-line "if you've got tat we'll stick an RAF logo on it reminds me of...

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=39243

...because there's the logo just behind the cockpit window!

Why?! Oh, why?!

Cpl Clott

SNator
12th Dec 2019, 20:02
I want to restart this thread. Does anyone know if the traditional RAFG "Phil Jost" or Bauscher Weiden mugs are still available. I am trying to source a replacement for a smashed mug. Any info would be welcome. Even Google grinds to a halt on this one!

BEagle
13th Dec 2019, 06:41
Try ringing Phil. Jost in Bacharach at +49 (0) 6743 1224?

Maxibon
16th Dec 2019, 09:54
See transcript, albeit from 2012. [email protected]

Hello, Max,

thank you for your inquiry.
We still do Squadron mugs

The price for one mug is € 15,50 including emblem and name and goldrim.
Shipping costs to UK is € 9,50 incl. insurance.
( Price is for one piece, for more it can change).

Hope this will help.

Thank you again.

best regards

Stephan Jost
55422 Bacharach

( hard to reach by phone or cellphone over daytime)