PDA

View Full Version : Sold out to Qatar Airways.

Capt Krunch
12th Mar 2011, 08:09
Qatar Airways is eyeing acquisitions and could strike a deal as early as this year, a German newspaper cited chief executive Akbar Al Baker as saying.

"It is very well possible that we will buy shares in another airline. Precondition is that it has a strong network and can help us to become a more global actor," Financial Times Deutschland quoted him as saying.

The Gulf carrier, half-owned by state-owned Qatar Investment Authority, could make any acquisition in the coming years, "but maybe as early as this year", the paper quoted him as saying.

The paper said he declined to name any possible targets.

Al Baker said Qatar Airways might be prepared to buy 49.9 percent of a European carrier, the maximum level a foreign investor can obtain without additional conditions, the paper said.

"We have sufficient cash" for any acquisition, the paper cited Al Baker as saying.

To get fresh capital, the airline could also launch an initial public offering, Al Baker told the paper.

"Preparations are underway," the paper cited him as saying.

March 10, 2011
(Reuters)

Interesting.... well thats what has kept me here so long,, never a dull moment.

jackbauer
12th Mar 2011, 08:16
An IPO? Who would buy shares in a loss making airline run by a dwarf psychopath?

flyzede
12th Mar 2011, 09:45
It's highly possible that the european airline will be TAP Portugal.
The only thing is that TAP hasn't a huge network... They are only strong in the Brazilian market and I don't really see how can this be essential to QR.

Cheers,

flyzede

a345xxx
12th Mar 2011, 09:47
They're going to buy VS!!!

safelife
12th Mar 2011, 12:55
Try Air Berlin. Cheap to aquire and have lots of slots across europe (and across the globe).

MrMachfivepointfive
12th Mar 2011, 13:42
My bet is on AB as well. Fleet is largely compatible too.

a345xxx
13th Mar 2011, 07:31
I think i the purchase will be more of a show of intent then commercial! Owning VS would make QR a bigger paint on the radar then it is now. But AB would be a good buy as well, probably more sensible as well. Might be easier dealing with the Germans then SQ!!! :)

paokara
14th Mar 2011, 01:04
Olympic will be sold to them

Do-27
14th Mar 2011, 02:18
MAYBE JKK???;)..... :\.... AS KEY TO OPEN THE LATINOAMERICAN MARKET TO ORYX?:confused: BUT QR IS NOT IN THE START ALLIANCE.....SO......:ooh:

SmilingKnifed
14th Mar 2011, 02:44
Paokara,

It'd be nice! But with slots already sold to Aegean, is there much to gain by buying Olympic?

Beechslave
17th Mar 2011, 20:37
Does anyone know if the FAA commercial is the same as the Frozen ATPL that's in the qatar FO hiring requirements? Thanks for any help.

MD83FO
15th Aug 2011, 18:39
Frozen ATPL means commercial + ATP written, can't remember weather your fsdo can issue your atp written results, which must be translated to arabic and appostilled.

Flyer1015
19th Aug 2011, 03:54
Beechslave, I am in the US with a large regional, and I applied to QR with a FAA Comm-Inst-ME ratings and the ATP written. I was told by them that I need a full ATP license from the FAA to be considered. There was a time when they took an American with jus the Comm and ATP written completed, but it has something to do with the conversion type ride.

Non Zero
19th Aug 2011, 09:35
There was a time when they took an American with jus the Comm and ATP written completed, but it has something to do with the conversion type ride. 15th Aug 2011 18:39 ... FAA CPL current, maybe with a good TR is always accepted (FAA is an ICAO License) ... but I'm sorry the FAA ATP written (so called frozen) is valid only in the States ...

airwjo
20th Aug 2011, 13:54
rumors among some brits are that it would be virgin atlantic as singapore wants to sell their shares (49%)

but that's only rumors

cheers:ok: