PDA

View Full Version : (USA) How far can you fly on non cross country solo?

ifresh21
10th Mar 2011, 16:10
Hi guys,

I have done 3 pattern solos, flown with a chief flight instructor at my school, and will now be taking the airplane out to the local practice area to do maneuvers, etc.

I would like to know, what limits are there for the distance that can be flown on a flight like this, if any?(FAA regulatory limits) How long did you guys fly during your practice solos?

I don't have cross country sign offs or anything, just the basic 90 day sign off.

Thank you.

SNS3Guppy
10th Mar 2011, 16:22
As long as you're not landing anywhere else, you can discuss it with your instructor. 14 CFR 61.93 states:

§ 61.93 Solo cross-country flight requirements.

(a) General.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a student pilot must meet the requirements of this section before -
(i) Conducting a solo cross-country flight, or any flight greater than 25 nautical miles from the airport from where the flight originated.
(ii) Making a solo flight and landing at any location other than the airport of origination.

That doesn't mean you can't fly farther than 25 nm from the airport, but you can't do it until you've met the cross country requirements of 61.93(a). You can receive an endorsement to land at other airports within a 25 nm radius of the airport, in accordance with 61.93(b)(1), and you can be endorsed for cross country flights up to 50 nm on a repeat basis in accordance with 61.93(b)(2).

Have a chat with your instructor. He or she will fill you in on what you can and can't do. Remember that regardless of the regulation, you're also bound by the limitations that your instructor places in your logbook. The instructor is carrying a lot of responsibility every time you go fly, so many instructors will put various limitations on their students, initially. When you first start, it's not a bad idea to stay fairly close to the nest.

BackPacker
10th Mar 2011, 17:28
Agree. The school I was had pre-printed stickers that they put in your logbook for each flight. This authorized the flight (after checking the planning) and also gave the limits.

Various stickers were used for circuits, local flights < 25nm, landing at an airport < 25nm and x-countries.

In addition to this, specific authorizations were also written on the medical class III/student pilot certificate.

ifresh21
10th Mar 2011, 17:56
Oooh so there is a regulation. I didn't read the entire thing - I will. But if I understand correctly from first glance, I can't fly more than 25 nautical miles unless I have a cross country endorsement(which I don't).?

Thank you veryy much guys

ifresh21
10th Mar 2011, 19:16
What do you mean certain documented airports? Do you mean how you can't fly into class b or what

dublinpilot
10th Mar 2011, 23:03
If there is something specific that you would like to do as part of your solo training, why not discuss it with you instructor?

If they fell that you are up to it, it is legal, and it complies with the school's rules, then I'm sure that they will be very accomodating.

It it's not possible for them to let you do it, then they might be happy to do it as a dual flight.

ifresh21
11th Mar 2011, 00:33
Ok so besides what the instructor says, the only thing the regs require is that you stay within 25 NM right?

ifresh21
11th Mar 2011, 20:44
You have a really bad outlook on things socal.

I just want to make sure there are no other FAA regulations. Is something wrong with that?