PDA

View Full Version : Reverse thrust question

SgtBundy
10th Mar 2011, 14:01
I recently took a ride in a red painted E190 to YBSU for a work conference. On approach there was a reasonable crosswind but it did feel like we were coming in rather hot compared to other times I have been in say 737s. The odd part for me was when the reverse thrust kicked in noticeably before the nosewheel had touched down and with still a reasonable nose up attitude from the flare.

Just wondering if its because YBSU might be a smaller strip for an E190 and putting the anchors on is a priority to pull up in time, or if it was just perhaps a rushed approach? Is it an abnormal practice to kick in reverse thrust before all wheels are down? Just curious - as I said it felt different to other aircraft I have been in.

waren9
10th Mar 2011, 14:14
Cant speak for the E190, but nothing abnormal about that for a 320 or 737.

I select rev thrust immediately the mains touch and often autobrake will activate (there is a small delay depending on setting) before the nosewheel touches.

:ok:

SNS3Guppy
10th Mar 2011, 16:10
I don't wait for the nosewheel to be on the ground before bringing in reverse. On landing, autospoilers are out, autobrakes are engaged, and I bring the reverse up while slowly lowering the nosewheel to the tarmac.

There are few airplanes I've flown in which I wait for the nosewheel to land before applying reverse thrust. Only on a slick surface is it advisable to wait, and to cautiously apply the reverse.

Of course, you need to know the airplane, and yourself; I brought the reverse in, just into Beta, in a King Air 90 once and it turned out to be badly rigged; I nearly went for a ride. It was okay once all three were on the ground, but not until.

Capt Claret
10th Mar 2011, 20:47
Sitting at various holding points and observing landing aircraft, one often sees regressed opening before the nose wheel is on the ground. So much so that I assume this is normal for most wing mounted engines.

In the 717 reverse can be selected but until weight is on the nose oleo, the buckets won't (shouldn't) open, which is a good reason to promptly get the nose wheel on the ground rather than holding it off. :8

nig&nog
10th Mar 2011, 20:48
In the E190 once the mains have touched and spoilers are up its quite easy to let the nose wheel drop on and hit the runway quite hard. I would say that the pilot into YBSU was looking after his/her machine by easing the nose down as the embraer isnt built as strong as the likes of say a boeing. As long as you have the mains on in the touchdown zone which will trigger the spoilers and autobrakes if selected, and you where on speed throughout the approach, easing the nose or flying it on instead of letting it slam on will have little to no effect on your stopping ability. Also if you had passed through some icing conditions at any stage from take-off to landing throughout your flight you will have found that the crew has to use what they call 'ice speeds' which for the same flap setting is approx 10 knots faster which on a short YBSU runway will give you that effect on coming in super fast.

Nig not nog

Wanderin_dave
10th Mar 2011, 21:12
Il-62s will often have the reversers out before the MAINS are on the ground.

See:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/LOT---Polish/Ilyushin-Il-62M/0945012/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/LOT---Polish/Ilyushin-Il-62M/0945012/M/)

SgtBundy
10th Mar 2011, 21:33
Thanks all - curiosity satisfied :8