View Full Version : Prince Harry Qualifies as an Apache Pilot

breakscrew
10th Mar 2011, 08:57
Congratulations to young Harry.
This is a very demanding course, and I am pleased that he passed.:D

Clockwork Mouse
10th Mar 2011, 09:33
Seconded!

You can bet your bottom dollar though that it still wont stop the leftie trashers who infest the Guardian depicting him and his bro as overprivileged inbred leeches who have never done an honest days work in their lives.

Tashengurt
10th Mar 2011, 09:51
Well done him. He and his brother should be commended for striving to have normal(ish) careers. Harry especially seems determined not to live in the shadow of his brother.

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2011, 10:10
Is this really true?

From the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8372599/Prince-Harry-qualifies-as-Apache-pilot.html):

"Only the most talented trainees are offered the chance to fly Apaches, which are each worth £35 million: just 2 per cent of those who embark on the Army Air Corps' helicopter pilots' training course end up flying the strike aircraft"

Clockwork Mouse
10th Mar 2011, 10:16
Is this true? Certainly credible. The attrition rate on the various stages of the basic Army Flying Course will take its toll and then there are few Apaches but many Lynxes etc. So 2% of those mud soldiers who report to MW on day one is probably not far off.

diginagain
10th Mar 2011, 10:35
The stats may be muddied a little depending on whether grading is considered to be part of the process or not.

Even so, my hat is doffed. Getting past Lynx convex was challenging enough.

breakscrew
10th Mar 2011, 10:41
Yes, if you take the stats from initial application, via the OASC and medical process right through the various DHFS stages to wings, it is pretty plausible.

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2011, 10:56
The Telegraph's article implied that one in fifty of those who get to MW complete the Apache course:

"those who embark on the Army Air Corps' helicopter pilots' training course"

not those who apply for it.

Still, well done H - hope he has fun.

abeaumont
10th Mar 2011, 11:01
...that wasn't him flying the Apache over Canterbury yesterday, or was it?

Unusual sight for this area...

shiko
10th Mar 2011, 11:38
Well done. Sure it was really well deserved..he was always v talented during EFT *cough* :hmm:

PPRuNe Pop
10th Mar 2011, 12:47
Very well done, HW. A really tough course demanding clear senses - which proves that his nights out were well planned! :ok:

Al R
10th Mar 2011, 12:52
I met Harry and Diana, back in 91/92. I showed him the (then, new) sniper rifle and he said he wanted to be a soldier. His mum looked at me from under that fringe (my knees lost a bit of vertical control at that point) and whispered with a smile.. '.. not a chance'.

Well done, both of 'em. I wonder who gets the bragging rights though..

Barksdale Boy
10th Mar 2011, 13:44
Well done Harry. They can't take that away from you. Cue for song.

andyy
10th Mar 2011, 13:49
Well, I'm not a leftie or a Guardian reader, & I do hold the Queen's Commission but I still think this is a waste of time & money unless he is going to do the normal front line tours (which I doubt). I have every admiration for the ability to pass a very demanding course, which I could not, but it it is still pointless in my view.

Runaway Gun
10th Mar 2011, 13:53
I hope he proves you wrong.

forget
10th Mar 2011, 14:00
I still think this is a waste of time & money unless he is going to do the normal front line tours (which I doubt).

So where do Apache instructors come from? Are they a waste of time and money?

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Mar 2011, 14:59
So where do Apache instructors come from? Are they a waste of time and money?

No Apache instructors have ever done a frontline tour, sounds like a bloody cushy lifestyle for sure :ok:

timex
10th Mar 2011, 19:17
Not quite 100% accurate...:ok::ok:

Grandad Bill the Falklands ace flies back to war | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1216315/Grandad-Bill-Falklands-ace-flies-war.html)

airpolice
10th Mar 2011, 20:12
Seldomfitforpurpose wrote:
No Apache instructors have ever done a frontline tour, sounds like a bloody cushy lifestyle for sure http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Timex points us to a Daily Mail story from September 2009 that would suggest otherwise.

A grandfather who fought in the Falklands War nearly 30 years ago is flying an Apache attack helicopter on frontline operations against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Royal Navy reservist Lieutenant Commander Bill O’Brien, 54, has flown more than 30 missions in southern Afghanistan

He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal for his ‘exceptional courage and considerable flying skill in the face of the enemy’ as a sergeant in the Royal Marines piloting a Gazelle during the 1982 Falklands conflict. The father of three is a helicopter instructor at the Army Air Corps centre at Middle Wallop, Hampshire.

But he is back on the front line after volunteering for combat and is on a four-month tour of duty with 663 Squadron in Helmand province.

Shurly shum mishtake Mish Moneypenny.

More here on a remarkable soldier.
Royal Marine who won only Distinguished Flying Medal ever awarded to sell it after 38-year career | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360192/Royal-Marine-won-Distinguished-Flying-Medal-awarded-sell-38-year-career.html)

Alber Ratman
10th Mar 2011, 20:12
Remember, Andrew was still second in line for succession when he took part in the Falklands war (William wasn't born then) and carried out a full service career. Harry is in exactly the same position, apart from being even further down the chain. He will see front line service again, if the press can be trusted to keep their mouths shut.

timex
10th Mar 2011, 20:31
He will see front line service again, if the press can be trusted to keep their mouths shut.

Thats where it all goes wrong...:ugh:

Whenurhappy
11th Mar 2011, 08:20
I have to say, so what if the press find out? Clearly his PERSEC is extremely important, but no more or less than any other rotary pilot. This is a risk management issue rather than a press management issue.

The well-known fact that he directed air and arty fires as a JTAC in Afghanistan surely means that there are some members of our community (ie the Un-united Kingdom) that would wish him harm. And will serving as an Apache pilot measurably increase that risk?

Anyway, well done Prince Harry. I hope you get a front line tour, deal it to the bad guys and return safe.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Mar 2011, 11:55
:D Let the lad win his spurs, eh?

So Harry now has a more suitable uniform to wear at parties, jolly good.
I'm guessing they'll both have to stop flying if either gets to the top job; it's rather a long time since a King was in combat (Richard III in proper combat, George II on scene ??)

Runaway Gun
11th Mar 2011, 12:03
...if the press can be trusted to keep their mouths shut.

Is the standard procedure to email every newspaper, magazine, news station, freelance journalist and photographer advising them NOT to say anything about a Royal conducting military Ops? If so, I can see a small flaw in this plan.

minigundiplomat
11th Mar 2011, 12:47
Well done Harry.

He joins a small but potent peer group for whom, even as a crab, I have the utmost respect. If it werent for them, on occasions, it is an even bet as to whether I'd still be here.

Don't all clap at once......

XV277
11th Mar 2011, 13:05
Well done to the lad.