PDA

View Full Version : Bankstown Hopeless Airport

HotPete
9th Mar 2011, 06:02
Not only do they withdraw runway and taxiway services. How about these three other examples:
I tried to phone Bankstown Airport Ltd in office hours four times in the last two days. I got a recording saying "our phones are currently UNATTENDED but we will get to you as soon as possible" (??) Then silence until the call times out.
The main road into the airport, which used to be a 50 or 60 kph limit, is now 10 kph! Not a misprint - 10 kph! Even Christina Kenneally on her bike goes faster than 10 kph.
The public toilets (near the shops and the CASA office) used to open at 6am. Then it became whenever the employee remembered it - often about 8am. Today they were still locked at 9:30am. So in future unless you are a customer of an airport business which is open, you'll need to take a small spade and a roll of dunny paper.

TrevorDal
9th Mar 2011, 08:31
To be fair every airport will at times withdraw runways and taxiways from service for a variety of reasons. I find it no problem at BK when they do.

Wally Mk2
9th Mar 2011, 08:52
'HP' I think you will find that such events happen at a lot of AD's not just BK. But it can be frustrating I know.
With the advent of over zealous security these days the world over airports are getting harder to access even to us with security ID's never lone the man on the street!

Off subject here 'cause well all need some humor. I was tracking inbound to BK some years ago now on a Med 1 flight & when I was handed over to the twr guy from SY Approach man in twr said cleared direct to the tower thence for pad No xx..............I near wet my pants when I come back to him & said ...........ahhhhhh B200 here but thanks for the offer anyway:ok: That brought a whole new meaning too Med 1 :-)

Wmk2

Ultralights
9th Mar 2011, 08:53
just try and get a permanent parking spot there! after a week of phone calls, and being passed off to everyone in BAL who is supposed to know about these things, but didnt, i finally got this response.

"just park up wherever you find a spot."

K3nnyboy
10th Mar 2011, 01:59
a typical day at the BAL office.....dunno **** all about realistic operation.
Some time i really start to wonder if that's their SOP. :8

thorn bird
11th Mar 2011, 07:04
Guys, Guys,
Everyone is assuming that the Real Estate sharks in control
of our secondary airports are actually interested in running
an airport!!..Good grief! they are sitting on Gazillions of dollars of real estate, a property developers Nivana!!. They bought them for nothing,
well compared with their actual worth as Real estate, absolutely nothing.
Just a minor inconvenience of these bloody aviation Types squatting on our prime property.
How do we get rid of these interlopers standing in the way of essential "development"???, We will "Create the next wonder of the modern world"
They are holding back "Progress".
The answer, Price them out!!
Latest rumour from Bankstown is, if you want a new lease you have to
sign over a percentage of your "Profit!!!".BWAA...HAA..HAAA!! "PROFIT"???...bugger me with what CASA imposes on us, and given that regardless of that cost we still have to keep things safe, its a very thin line between profit and loss...
Anyone want to take bets within Five years the secondary airport owners will be fronting whatever retarded minister of the day is there to be "massaged" with money, or have the wool pulled over their eyes, and plead secondary airports are not "Viable"...but real estate development is $$$$.
Bye Bye Hoxton Park, Oh sorry its already gone, and they got back all their original investement...Bye Bye Bankstown,,Bye bye Archerfield..Bye Bye Jandadacot.

LeadSled
12th Mar 2011, 02:15
Folks,

Don't expect the service from BAL to get any better, there have been "staff reductions" at the BAL office in the last weeks.

Probably not surprising, given the movement rate is a fraction of the "good old days", about one half and dropping. The "free weekends" doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference to the utilization.

At least the new GM is honest about the decline, doing something about is is another thing ---- as it is, the costs are ridiculous, about three times Jandakot ---- which is booming !!

Tootle pip!!

TBM-Legend
12th Mar 2011, 05:16
airport owners like BAL and AAC are introducing a "Westfield" type fee structure where commercial enterprises pay a lease fee and a turnover fee.

They say they support your business and therefore want a cut of the action.:ouch:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Mar 2011, 09:03
Is JT 'booming' Leadie..??

There's only about 4 or so flying schools left on the place now - not counting Singapore Flying School and China Southern which are both 'private'..

I fell over - literally - when I heard what JAH are asking their tenants to come up with for hangar lease rentals, not to mention landing fees etc..:confused:

And just WHERE ELSE does one park one's 'flying machine' in the Perth Basin..??:ugh:

If only those '6 numbers' would come up - I WOULD BUY Murray Field outright, and make room for a new RACWA at the same time.....:cool:

Tell 'im 'ees dreamin'......apols to The Castle..:p

Cheers:ok:

Joker 10
12th Mar 2011, 10:57
Jandakot has a lot more than 4 operating schools and it has the highest movement rate for a General Aviation Airport in Australia, numbers never lie.

Clearedtoreenter
12th Mar 2011, 19:19
Probably not surprising, given the movement rate is a fraction of the "good old days", about one half and dropping. The "free weekends" doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference to the utilization.

Hardly surprising... a single visit in a 182 costs over $40 with about half each for BAL and Airservices and another $20 per day for parking. You don't get much for that, other than virtually no facilities, and sarcastic, unhelpful, rude and inefficient 'service'. All of which is a direct result of the management poliices of both organisations.

I'd love to base a plane or two there but who in their right mind would? They really have to do a lot better if they want anyone to go there. More warehouses factories and hyperstores seem inevitable. The owners really are not serious about it remaining an airport anyway. Let them have it, its a lost cause and lets find a sensible place for a GA airport in the Sydney basin - and keep the likes of Sydney Metro Airports and Airservices well out of it!

bentleg
12th Mar 2011, 19:38
Yep, BK is being strangled. BK headed the GA list in 2008 but have slipped back since. Looks like JT is being strangled too.

2008 (http://www.airservices.gov.au/projectsservices/reports/movements/calytd2008.pdf) - BK 362206, JT 356920,
2009 (http://www.airservices.gov.au/projectsservices/reports/movements/calytd2009.pdf) - BK 347266, JT 358750
2010 (http://www.airservices.gov.au/projectsservices/reports/movements/calytd2010.pdf) - BK 275978, JT 295516

bentleg
12th Mar 2011, 20:34
Camden stats are interesting.

2008 27512
2009 36766
2010 84132

I suspect the stats are "tower stats" and if so are distorted as the tower changed from a two day operation to a seven day operation June 2010.

There is absolutely no doubt that since YHOX closed CN has got busier, especially on weekdays. There is also possibly some leakage from BK.

2b2
12th Mar 2011, 21:37
couple of things -

they are sitting on Gazillions of dollars of real estate, a property developers Nivana!!. They bought them for nothing,
well compared with their actual worth as Real estate, absolutely nothing

they don't own any real estate - they bought a lease to operate an airport, and from memory if any airport was to close and be sold off for land it reverts to the commonwealth.. Check out the Jandakot relocation page-
Jandakot Airport Proposed Relocation (http://www.domain-ix.net/jacc/)

Unfortunately the Mark Vaile letter link doesn't seem to work any more.

Yep, BK is being strangled. BK headed the GA list in 2008 but have slipped back since. Looks like JT is being strangled too.

2008 - BK 362206, JT 356920,
2009 - BK 347266, JT 358750
2010 - BK 275978, JT 295516

certainly not defending the airport owners but the vast majority of this downturn is overseas training after the GFC.

Joker 10
12th Mar 2011, 23:32
Bear in mind there at least 3 sattelite operations off Jandakot, Merriden, Northam, Murray Field all of which are unrecorded and operate FIFO from Jandakot on a needs basis.

aileron_69
13th Mar 2011, 06:46
There's only about 4 or so flying schools left on the place now - not counting Singapore Flying School and China Southern which are both 'private'..

4 sounds a little light on the numbers there,

RACWA
Air Australia
Minovation
JFC
Heliwest
Rotorvation

That makes 6, not sure if the Aeroplane company are still around but that would make 7, and lets face it, Singapore and China Southern make up a large percentage (and therefore landing fee cashflow) of Jandakot traffic regardless of whether they are private or not. That makes 8 or 9 flying schools on the airfield, how many more do you want??