PDA

View Full Version : El Questro...

Best Rate
9th Mar 2011, 00:54
I'm Planning a family trip through the Red Centre and on to El Questro and the Kimberley region in Winter 2012.

Any recommendations or reports on flying into El Questro / staying at the Homestead etc..?? (Any must-do's???)

Regards,

Best Rate :ok:

compressor stall
9th Mar 2011, 01:16
A magic place.

We landed there on our honeymoon when we did a lap of WA in a 172, camping some of the way. We had no vehicle, so we packed a lunch and walked to Champagne Springs and had a perfect day there with not a soul around. It was about 5kms to walk, and took around 90 mins with photo stops etc.

I'd probably be booted off the forum if I put up some our pictures from that day :E so here's one I found online of Gem Pool where we spent most of the day... http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/kimberley/images/kp04.066.jpg There's more info on the walks on this website (http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/kimberley/kimberley04.html)

Funny postscript - I overheard that night some of the superannuated 4WD set complaining that they'd driven all this way, then driven out in their 4wd to get to the waterholes and there are lots of other people there....!

It was all I could do not to sarcastically reply that we had just spent the day alone in a perfect location, by walking for 90 mins, not driving.

VH-XXX
9th Mar 2011, 02:00
on our honeymoon when we did a lap of WA in a 172

Are you still married? I don't think I could have ever pulled off a honeymoon in a 172 as much as I would do it.

compressor stall
9th Mar 2011, 02:15
Yep, AND she even got back in after repairs to a dropped cylinder when we were over the Great Sandy Desert 110nm south of Derby and arriving in Broome (closer ETA) with an oil smeared windscreen :D

Best Rate
9th Mar 2011, 05:10
Thanks for the info Compressor...

Sounds like a good ol' stroll could be in order to get the solitude/ambience there!

Cheers,

BR

bentleg
9th Mar 2011, 06:49
Mount Elizabeth Station (http://www.mountelizabethstation.com/) gives a good outback experience at a fraction of the EQ price.

Horatio Leafblower
9th Mar 2011, 07:10
When we lived in YWYM we used to go down to Emma Gorge for time out and a decent meal - was dear but not ludicrous prices back then but I think we got "local" discount.

gassed budgie
9th Mar 2011, 07:15
We landed there on our honeymoon

Where are the photos CS ? :E

compressor stall
9th Mar 2011, 08:48
Locked securely away from prying pilots' eyes :8

Mt Elizabeth is nice too - that was our first stop after Cape Leveque. Paradise pool is a short walk away, and there is a larger plunge pool about 20 mins by 4wd away that I am sure the caretakers have trips there for a fee.

Flying north of there, it's well worth the diversion north to Mt Trafalgar and the Prince Regent Nature reserve. Amazing scenery, especially low level. Tiger country though, 500 feet leaves you few options if it all goes quiet...

Jabawocky
9th Mar 2011, 10:36
awww c'mon...its just a few of us mates on pprune, not like it would be in public:ooh:

Just been discussing going there mid year with Mrs Jaba.........she did say it might be less to go to OSH for a week than a night there.............:eek: It can't be that bad surely?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
9th Mar 2011, 11:39
Wow,
Honeymoon in a C172! Never in a million years could I have sold that idea to Mrs Bravo.

When I lived in WYWM I was lucky enough to convince my wife (and one-year-old baby) to jump into a C206 over to YFRV! For everything else we drove to Emma Gorge or Zebadee Springs (part of El Questro).

FRQ CB

PS When you get there you needn't worry about the sharks and snakes as the crocs have eaten all of them :ooh:
What I'm really saying is that if you're going to go walking and swimming just check with a local.

The Green Goblin
9th Mar 2011, 11:46
Lots of beaut spots around there. Personally I'd stop on the mitchell plateau.

For a more authentic experience, doongan or Drysdale are always a laugh :O

Ovation
9th Mar 2011, 13:30
Drysdale River is a great destination, food is good, accommodation is a little primitive, and lights out at 2100 when the gensets are turned off.

Mt Hart Station has really good accommodation - better than most places outback, and the meals were VG also.

Remember to close the toilet seat when finished to keep the frogs out. :)

gileraguy
10th Mar 2011, 22:28
Take the fishing trip on the Pentecost river.

Magical place with the ranges in the background. you just troll with the lures behind the boat, so no skill required.
Caught my first Barra there...

You might even see a croc!

Best Rate
11th Mar 2011, 11:37
All good info folks, thanks and a ripper weekend to all..... ! :ok:

BR

SimonBl
12th Mar 2011, 04:05
Lovely part of the world, here are some pics of Emma Gorge:

Zenfolio | Simon Blears | 10th May, 2009: Emma Gorge (http://simonb.zenfolio.com/emmagorge0509)

and some more, specifically including a fantastic R44 ride around EQ:

Zenfolio | Simon Blears | 26 Jul, 2009: Kununurra Weekend (http://simonb.zenfolio.com/p249515149)