PDA

View Full Version : Nzkk Taf

FJ44
7th Mar 2011, 09:54
After spending the day unsuccessfully trying to get the NZKK TAF from NAIPS and the NZ IFIS web page ive run out of ideas on how to get it.
The NZ AIP says it's avaliable from MET SERVICE but I can't seem to find it.
Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated as being from OZ I don't have a NZ license number etc to log in with to the metservice page. :confused:
Cheers.

Grogmonster
7th Mar 2011, 10:20
FJ44,

You can access this information a number of ways.

1. On naips go to location briefing and remove the tick from the domestic box. This will get you the weather and notams if the aerodrome is listed. I don't think Keri Keri is.
2. The NZ equivalent to naips is very similar to ours but they have inbuilt security to prevent corruption of the website. You have to email the webmaster with your IP address and they will normally give you a 3 month access before you automatically drop off the system.
3. If you have an Iphone you can download an App called Aeroweather. This allows you to get real time weather anywhere in the world if you know the ICAO designator as in NZKK. I have used it regularly when overseas and it is very good.

The problem here is that Keri Keri does not seem to be a designated airport for weather reporting. At least not right now at 11.18 UTC. They may report during daylight hours so give it a bash in the morning.

Regards

Groggy

Unhinged
7th Mar 2011, 12:20
I checked earlier this evening and MetService was giving a Metar for Kerikeri.
Naips correctly recognised NZKK when the "Domestic Only" tick was removed, but didn't give any weather or notams. It was happy to give weather & notams including Metar for Auckland (for example)

No idea why the inconsistency, and too late to investigate further tonight ...

Got the horn
7th Mar 2011, 19:42
Airways only provide NOTAMs, SIGMETS and ATIS through IFIS. NZ wx comes from the METSERVICE.

Sqwark2000
7th Mar 2011, 20:09
Unfortunately, there is no "one stop shop" for flightplanning in NZ.

Notams, ATIS, Sigmets from IFIS www.ifis.airways.co.nz

TAF, Metar, AFOR from MetFlight MetFlight Login (http://metflight.metra.co.nz/MetFlight.php)

Cheers

S2K

FJ44
7th Mar 2011, 20:52
Thanks for the answers,
I've had no issues with using NAIPS for PNG and the Solomons or for the major NZ airports but it seems that NZKK isn't accessable from the Australian system.

Groggie - Aeroweather I have on the iphone but NZKK isn't listed there either.

S2K - I've got a u/n and p/w with IFIS but will try and get one for metservice.

Sounds like someone needs to come up with an iphone app like NAIPS for NZ with a "one stop shop" for all MET and NOTAM info.

Thanks all for the help.
FJ.

NZScion
8th Mar 2011, 02:22
FJ44, in the past it was possible to receive all pre-flight information via IFIS, but AFAIK for the last couple of years all met info is on Metflight (Metservice). Access for NZ pilots for private use is free, but you might be charged if signing up for commercial purposes.

I don't know the reasons behind the change but I'd be surprised if we will be going back any time soon.

27/09
8th Mar 2011, 07:32
Sounds like someone needs to come up with an iphone app like NAIPS for NZ with a "one stop shop" for all MET and NOTAM info.

A one stop shop is a good idea, we did have that on the IFIS site. IFIS isn't all that user friendly IMO, and even when it was still possible to get all the wx data from IFIS the met service site was far better. I don't see us getting a one stop shop anytime soon. Airways doesn't seem interested in providing anything more than they have to, and notams etc are not the realm of the Metservice.

At one point IFIS was only accessable from within New Zealand, as Airways, in their infinite wisdom, blocked access from overseas. This was a real problem for a New Zealand based pilot if your PDA or phone used a proxy server. I think they have fixed that now. I think they were trying to stop too much traffic from clogging up the site, though I cannot imagine for the life of me why there there would be many from overseas wanting to access IFIS.

The Metservice site requires a New Zealand licence number for access. probably to stop too many intinerants from accessing the site.

Both sites work fine on my mobile browser so I don't see any need for an app to get the info from them.

The other sites that provide info seem to give only international airports for New Zealand though there are one or two random domestic airports there too. This info is most likely provided by Airways.