PDA

View Full Version : My predicament.

tom88
7th Mar 2011, 05:16
After much thought about whether to post on my issue, I have decided to give it a go and hope for some positive feedback. I am relatively confident that there are some PPRuNe punters out there that have been through, or are currently going through similar, soul destroying hard times.
I am a Pilot with 1550hrs 350MEC.
One year ago I resigned from an employer (piston charter company) due to irreconcilable differences. As a result of this I began looking around for other work immediately. This was to no avail. The only positions available required all ATPL subjects to be completed. So off I went into a hole for a good six months and got through all of the subjects. Once I had them all completed, the job positions I were working so hard towards were no longer.
I have since contacted almost every company I can think of in hope of employment. It seems nobody wants to touch the bloke who hasn 't flown for a while. I am absolutely sick and tired of being ignored. To make matters worse, my MECIR has just expired and I am in a less than favourable financial position to go and have it renewed at my own expense.
I am currently waiting on a start date with an operator but I am not holding my breath as I had the interview some time ago.
I consider myself a hard working, passionate, enthusiastic and loyal chap who has an awful lot to offer.
Surely there has to be a gig out there for me somewhere. I found it easier finding my first job at 200hrs.
The frustration is nothing short of mentally crippling.
Anyone?.........................................Anyone?

Grogmonster
7th Mar 2011, 10:32
Tom,

I feel for you mate but in order to help you I need to make you understand that you have to help yourself. Unfortunately in this day and age it is unlikely that some one will just help so here is some advice.

Think worse case and get any job so you can survive. Save up some money and go renew your MECIR. Then get out there and find a flying job. Be prepared to leave your comfort zone. Be prepared to travel to anywhere you can find work, Be prepared to wash aircraft, sweep hangar floors, and generally show that you are willing to work. If you are positive in that respect the rest will take care of its self. Good luck.

P.S. To those who start howling me down please note that not anywhere did I suggest that he does this for little or no renumeration.

Groggy

Wanderin_dave
7th Mar 2011, 10:41
Get flying again. Whatever it is, adventure flights, skydive, whatever. It'll get you around the right people. I've got your hours without the multi time or atpls. I've been offered 4 jobs in the last few months so they're out there!

It'll put a smile on your face flying again. Getting knocked back/missing out on gigs is tough and can put you in a bad mindset. Get flying, chat to everyone on the field and the gig you want will come.

Oh and a second all that Groggy said.

Xcel
7th Mar 2011, 11:12
Aviation is networking, if you leave it then your network stops.

Aviation requires currency, if your not current you will find it more difficult.

I have seen many a jet endorsed and turboprop guy throwing bags to stay near the aircraft in between gigs to keep cash flow.

At your hours I would tend to think your in limbo. Advice would be get current and attempt to get in contact with all your network just to get flying in anything (but not at any cost) there are jobs out there just prove your not a 30 second company attendee and you should be sweet.

On that note season just starting up North and a few flash in the pan employees might have left some gaps.

Cheers
R

FRQ Charlie Bravo
7th Mar 2011, 13:05
I had a CP once (he's probably just figured out who I am) who had a bad run with an airline and found himself with about your twin hours but some more TT, an ATPL and a B737 endo. One thing led to another and he lost recency and found himself stacking shelves. His first flight in about a year I think was when he jumped into the C182 with me the day he arrived to take a job in a two company three pilot town out in BFE. He managed to very slowly clock up some Baron hours and left town with 498.5 Multi Command (the rumour was that he was going to private hire a Partenavia on his way to the job that required 500 ME Command).

If Facebook is anything to believe he is happy now back in another Boeing. I didn't understand it all back then but having left a flying job without a backup once upon a time I certainly understand now.

Another friend had just under 500 MEC and worked his tail off to get himself into a position flying a SE Warbird just to keep current. Networking from that job of course is how he found a way to his current seat at 0F on the Airbus. On the day that he started in the jet I'd say that he probably hadn't flown multi in well over a year (except for his IR renewal). That's networking if ever I saw it.

Mate, get back on the horse (even if it's just one that's worth about 285 real horses) and start clocking up some landings, most people won't care how many donks your recent ride had or even if it was under the IFR (of course this is a perfect time to plug the PIFR, you could fly IFR even in a SE if on a PVT op).

I hate to see professional pilots in your situation, it's a very unnatural state... but there's nobody else out there who's going to take it upon themselves to get you current and nobody in the business world ever cares about you as much as you should (I don't mean that in a prickish way).

Might I ask where you are currently living and where you would consider moving?

Chin up Tom,

FRQ CB

1a sound asleep
7th Mar 2011, 14:52
Get back in the seat. Even if you have to fly a 172 doing joyflights, renew your IR, and be prepared to travel anywhere. Maybe quitting a previous job wasnt the perfect solution, but getting reemployed and working your way up is the only way to go. Good Luck

castrol
7th Mar 2011, 20:41
G''day Tom, glad to see you got some sensible replies. As Xcel says the networking stops when your out of the loop, this is entirely true. In fact in some cases the only networking that remains are the thoughts and opinions that are transmitted courtesy of your former CP. I left my last ride on similar terms and left behind a legacy that was out of my control. The end result is some folk now view me to be someone who I'm not which has had a significant impact on my abilty to return to what I have worked for and dreamt about my entire life. I have more than double your hours and can't get a gig cleaning the skid marks of the touch-down markers. The mistake I made was my absence from the people who carry-on. Mate, like you I'm sincere and hardworking, have two trades and two associate diploma's and can offer something unique to the people I aspire to work for which is just a S/E GA gig....cant seem to get through though???? So big fella you should get back to the airfield and do your business while working anywhere you can to finance your recency.
Remain focused, positive and friendly and you'll be right....

tom88
7th Mar 2011, 22:16
Thanks fellas for the positive and helpful feedback.
I have just returned home to Sydney after almost four years in the Northern Territory.

Xcel, funny you should mention throwing bags actually. That is exactly what I spent the last six months doing in Darwin whilst I attempted to find flying work.

At this point in time I have been offered a position with a GA company up in Qld which involves mostly twin flying although they are waiting on extra contracts to be picked up and I am not sure how long I will be waiting. On a positive note I did receive a green light email from a dominant regional carrier yesterday, inviting me to take part in the next step which is good news.
Having said that if something were to come my way today or tomorrow which involved moving back north I would probably jump on it.

Mr. Hat
7th Mar 2011, 22:49
1. Drop hasselhoff a line he's in a similar position.

2. Keep persisting.

3. Don't ever leave a job without a job to go to ever again.

4. Keep persisting.

metrodashbrazconkie
7th Mar 2011, 23:12
Go West young man! I would say the "truly regional airline" would be looking for crew.

Good luck :ok:

Hasselhof
8th Mar 2011, 00:26
Seriously, you've got 1550tt with 350ME and you're wondering how to get a job without a current ME-CIR???? Get the freakin' ME-CIR renewed!

From the look of it you have

1) CPL
2) ATPL theory
3) Held a MECIR
4) 1550tt
5) 350ME
6) Charter experience

This should be a no brainer.

Do the renewal (yes it costs money, but if you want to fly for a living you need it), pack the car and go door knocking at every operator you can find. Call every mate you've got and get them to BOTH hit up their bosses for a job for you and also to hassle their mates to do the same on your behalf.

If someone offers you a job flying a single but the company has twins, you TAKE IT!!! Hell, if you get offered a job flying singles and they don't have twins you still take it and keep looking!!! Writing resumes and sending them out from home is a total waste of time. For every GA job ad that gets put up on AFAP 300+ guys apply for it, even if they don't meet the requirements. Those are sucky odds. If you walk through the door and ask for the CP you're up against what, at most another 10 guys doing the same? I like those odds much better. All of a sudden those qualifications start to help and go someway to overcoming your lack of recency. Looking for flying work is a job in itself which requires discipline and sacrifice. If you aren't disciplined or willing to make that sacrifice then it's time to find another industry.

If you haven't flown for a year but have 1550tt, then you can still fly. If you are on a CP's front step when he/she finds they need a pilot ASAP, with that level of experience you'll be the one that gets the job, but you need to physically be there in order to get it.

Mr. Hat
8th Mar 2011, 00:35
Looking for flying work is a job in itself which requires discipline and sacrifice.

Great line. Infact, looking for a job in GA with zero bites and no money is what sorts out those that REALLY want it to those that sort of want it. Its a bit different to the J* cadetship.

Persist my friend.

Might be time to repost my go west all time classic post hassel hey?

remoak
8th Mar 2011, 03:05
Having been involved in recruitment for three airlines, I would have to differ with Hasselhof.

Sometimes that approach works, but only with operators where the CP likes that approach. There are plenty who don't want to be bothered by guys constantly interrupting their day with a sales pitch.

Any quality operation will recruit on (demonstrated) skill, experience, and attitude.

Most guys that asked to see me gave the impression of being a bit desperate, and consequently over-did the sales pitch and left me thinking that I didn't want this guy flying aircraft under my control, because they weren't showing me what I wanted to see - quiet assurance, a measured and level approach, and a confidence in their own abilities. People desperate to wash aeroplanes or sweep the hangar weren't what I was looking for at all.

Many will differ from that approach, but it worked for me and many CPs agree. None of the pilots under my management ever had an accident, and I only ever had to fire two (who were hired before I took over).

You do need to be current though, without that you are virtually unemployable.

Also, look overseas if you can. Much better flying to be had, with much lower experience requirements and 1000% less b*ll****.

GADRIVR
8th Mar 2011, 06:56
Tom
PM me
Cheers,
Drivr