PDA

View Full Version : Choppers over Melbourne

WannaBeBiggles
7th Mar 2011, 03:41
I keep hearing choppers flying over our office in St Kilda at regular intervals. By the sound of them they're Blackhawks but can't confirm as I can just hear them and see their shadows pass over us.

Anyone know what they're doing?

Having some fun and racing the F1 circuit? Picking up dignitaries from the certain St Kilda "establishments"? :p

VH-XXX
7th Mar 2011, 04:21
There were 6 Blackhawks at Point Cook on the weekend, plus the ones at Avalon.

No doubt they are hanging around for a bit. They have been around for the last week or so.

Last Avalon they set up a temporary hangar / command centre at Point Cook.

mcgrath50
7th Mar 2011, 04:46
There was at least one landing and taking off for at least an hour near Rod Laver Arena this afternoon

ReverseFlight
7th Mar 2011, 07:41
I was a bit disappointed at one of the previous Avalon Airshows when I wasn't allowed to touch or photograph the cockpit of an Army Blackhawk. I never met this obstacle at any other airshow in the world I've been to.

VH-XXX
7th Mar 2011, 08:07
That means that they were in Military Configuration.

I was told off for taking a photo of them at Point Cook after last Avalon, but the day before they were at Avalon. They had been changed to Military Config apparently.

Australia is sooooo top secret that this stuff matters!

Macchi 408
7th Mar 2011, 09:10
Aust. Defence Forces are conducting a Blackhawk helicopter training exercise at the WTC - Tower 1, next Tuesday, 8th of March and at the St.Kilda Rd Police Complex on Tuesday 22nd of March. On both days the exercise will run in the afternoon b/t 1400hrs and 1700hrs and again later in the evening b/t 2030hrs and 2230hrs. It will involve helicopters approaching and hovering over the roof of the building for short periods of time and then leaving the area, they will not actually be landing. There will be no army troops involved however there will be a small ground party (3 people) present to oversee the activity

Looks like they'll be here for a little bit longer.

SgtBundy
7th Mar 2011, 10:11
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af260/sgtbundy/P1040140.jpg

They didn't mind at the Richmond Airshow in 2006 or at Wings over Illawarra - whats the difference in the config?

VH-XXX
8th Mar 2011, 02:20
As opposed to the civilian Black Hawk configuration?

Figure of speach. Do you think they will leave their sensitive NVG etc in there for an airshow for all the little snots to play with?

VH-XXX
8th Mar 2011, 02:40
Don't be a tosser, figure of speech (my words). I understand you are in the Military and that's great for what you want in your life.

I'll re-phrase it. When I display my aircraft at Airshows, I prepare it. I don't just leave the valuables / breakables lying around in it like my NVG's etc. One can assume that the soldiers that fly the Blackhawks and other government owned aircraft do the same thing.