PDA

View Full Version : Shemya cross-check even if in radar contact?

None
6th Mar 2011, 21:08
I have always accomplished the Shemya cross-check because the chart says it is required. Now I am hearing (unofficially so far) that it is only necessary if not in radar contact.

Is there a source document for this?

What are your thoughts?

RENURPP
6th Mar 2011, 21:32
Excuse my ignorance, what is a "shemya cross check"?:confused:

Horatio Leafblower
6th Mar 2011, 22:20
...and which chart says it is required? :confused:

DirectAnywhere
6th Mar 2011, 22:32
Given that this is the only Shemya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemya) I know of, I would suggest the first thing you might try is turning your globe the right way up.

Captain Dart
6th Mar 2011, 23:19
Mr. None, I think you are on the wrong forum, old chap. Maybe you should cross-check your PPRuNE posting!

For those asking, Shemya is a god-forsaken island in the Aleutian chain. After the shootdown of Korean Air 007 by a Soviet fighter, it is suspected that the B747 crew departed Anchorage for Seoul in 'heading' mode on the autopilot and left it there; the primitive nav system still sequenced its waypoints so the aircraft drifted off track into the bad guys' airspace.

The crosscheck was a requirement to check raw data distance abeam Shemya VOR to ensure that the correct NOPAC (North Pacific) track was being flown. For those blindly following green or magenta lines or GPS, the lessons of this incident apply today.

If you look at the first letters of the waypoints of the parallel NOPAC tracks system from north to south, they spell NOPAC! Riveting stuff, eh?

mig3
7th Mar 2011, 00:46
Did they drift off track in heading mode or were they spying :E

404 Titan
7th Mar 2011, 01:50
mig3

You’re f*****g kidding aren’t you? If you’re not….:ugh: