PDA

View Full Version : Flying after passing Skills Test

jackdhc1
6th Mar 2011, 15:28
Hi,
I should be going in for my skills test by the end of April and I was wondering if (providing you pass it) you get a certificate or something like after passing a driving test which allows you to fly as a full PPL holder before the CAA send your licence in the mail, or do you have to wait for it to arrive before you can fly as a full PPL,
Regards,
Jack

Torque Tonight
6th Mar 2011, 15:41
You have to have the license in your possession. If you're in a desperate hurry you can use the counter service at the CAA at Gatwick for a same-day service. I see you're from Manchester so you'd have to be pretty desperate in your case! I generally prefer to use the counter service - it works very well, is much quicker and reduces the risk of vital documents being lost in the post. Not funny if your logbook gets lost.

jackdhc1
6th Mar 2011, 15:53
Thanks for that, i'll consider that one, not in any hurry, just have to have it to fly into Sywell for Aero Expo if Wx is good enough
Jack

FlyingForFun
6th Mar 2011, 17:21
I may be wrong on this one, Torque.... but as far as I know, ratings can be issued over the counter at Gatwick, but not licenses....?

Jack, you can still fly without your license, but technically you're a student, which means you'll need every flight to be authorized by an instructor, and you can't carry passengers.

FFF
------------

stevelup
6th Mar 2011, 17:54
There is definitely no counter service for same day issue of an initial licence.

You can still make use of the counter service in the sense that you turn up there with all your paperwork and they check through it there and then and take the payment. Apparently this speeds things up by a few days.

I dropped my stuff at the counter on the 9th and my licence was delivered on the 28th - so just under three weeks.

Either way, you'll be absolutely fine for Aero Expo as it's not until the middle of June.

BackPacker
6th Mar 2011, 19:07
Either way, you'll be absolutely fine for Aero Expo as it's not until the middle of June.

Remember though, that your license is a license to learn.

With a fresh and shiny PPL, do you really think you've got enough experience to fly to the Aero Expo? I haven't been to that Expo particularly, but in general these events are pretty popular as fly-to destinations. That usually means you've got to get a slot time and have to adhere to that (sometimes necessitating in-flight adjustment of your plan). The circuit will be busy, R/T will be busy, there may be odd landing instructions, and so on and so forth. It may not be ideal for someone with very little experience.

I would suggest you wait a year, build a bit more experience, and plan on flying to the Expo next year.

BEagle
6th Mar 2011, 19:12
jackdhc1, you will be able to fly without passengers under the authorisation of an FI(A) until your licence arrives (and you have signed it!), just as you would if you were still a student.

jackdhc1
6th Mar 2011, 22:14
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies... Backpacker- i'm used to heavy traffic- I get a lot of it at Blackpool and I have run it by my instructor (ex-RAF) and he said he would be happy with me going in. I will be practicing the route in my cross country flights to make sure I know the route and timings so I am ready for it. I will also be taking another pilot to assist with things so I think i should be fine. Busy R/T won't bother me- i'm also used to handling that... i've flown at number 10 in the circuit solo before. I will be using the trip as one of my solo XC flights too (approved by my instructor) so all-in-all i think i'm capable and i'll have another pilot on board if i need assistance...
I hope I don't come across as sounding overly confident... i'm just planning ahead for things.
Jack

flybymike
6th Mar 2011, 22:47
It seems a shame to have to wait for the formality of receiving a piece of paper through the post before being allowed to use the full benefits of the licence. If an examiner sign off is good enough for the DVLA, one wonders why it is not good enough for the CAA. Many years ago I was signed off for my then group B licence (now MEP) I duly said to myself "yipee!" and naively charged off skywards again the same day. It was only some time later that someone pointed out to me that the flight had been illegal.

jackdhc1
7th Mar 2011, 00:01
yeahh its stupid isn't it... I know a few instructors at my flying club so i'll just get them to auth me till my licence arrives... It seems the CAA are out to stop us flying in as many ways as possible

BEagle
7th Mar 2011, 15:44
It seems a shame to have to wait for the formality of receiving a piece of paper through the post before being allowed to use the full benefits of the licence. If an examiner sign off is good enough for the DVLA, one wonders why it is not good enough for the CAA.

I used to think the same thing. But many examiners just pocket the dosh and sign the Skill Test form without even giving you a debrief, let alone checking all your paperwork. The number of licence applications the CAA has to return proves, unfortunately, that it simply wouldn't be safe to rely upon temporary PPL privileges to be granted 'in the field' after you pass the Skill Test...even if that is what they do in other countries.

Whopity
7th Mar 2011, 15:55
I agree with Beagle however I am not sure its the Examiners role to check all the paperwork other than to ensure you are qualified to take the test. The School providing the training should ensure the paperwork is complete and quite often its a mess with unsigned examination passes and incomplete forms. They are the ones you pay for the training.

This is where the FAA system is better.

jackdhc1
7th Mar 2011, 22:44
Ah right, I understand now. I suppose it isn't quite as stupid as I thought, however the FAA version would work well there. Carrying the other pilot is just for my flight down to Aero Expo. I will have a licence by then, it's just to assist with the busy airspace. Luckily i'm not too bad as far as people doing correct paperwork goes- my instructor is RAF and our examiner is RAF so they know exactly what they are doing in that respect and they are both well respected pilots.
Jack
:)

Genghis the Engineer
7th Mar 2011, 23:09
If it's anything like flying in and out of Aero Expo at Booker, you want a more experienced pilot with you. Expect it to be pretty manic and high workload, regardless of whether your licence has been issued or not.

G

jackdhc1
7th Mar 2011, 23:22
Thanks Genghis, that's my thinking- i'll probably fudge up otherwise.
Jack