View Full Version : Ex RN Jetstreams

mmitch
5th Mar 2011, 10:06
The first of 3 ex Royal Navy Jetstreams has arrived at Manston wearing
N reg. Off to the US?
mmitch.

taxydual
5th Mar 2011, 11:53
MANSTON!!! Quick, tell 'em they're going the wrong way!

OK. Hat, coat. I know the drill.

Old Photo.Fanatic
5th Mar 2011, 14:23
Memories of a Media trip to Culdrose when the Jetstream took over from the Sea Prince.
Flew down from Northolt in a Navy Heron.
Arrived ok but blowing a real gale across the Airfield.

Just prior to lunch at the officers Mess (Wardroom?) I had reason to return to the Heron to collect some "Gear".
Aircraft parked such that when I open the door an allmighty gust took the door off its lower hinge!!!!!!
At the lunch table I had to confess to the Media officer that I had broken their Heron when I opened the door.
HER face was a picture to behold, BUT, another person (Press) piped up loud enough for all to hear and said it was he who broke it, So I then retreated and let him take the credit/flak. (Perhaps he had visited the Heron prior to me, I will never know )

A couple of twists to the tale, It was then arranged at wot expense, that the press party would then have to fly back to Northolt in two brand new shiny Jetstreams. oh dear how sad!!!!

Just prior to departure again I had reason to go to the Heron to collect some final papers, it was already under repair in a hanger.
The navy tech. rating was not a happy bunnie, he was furious, told me some idiot had broken the heron and he was recalled just as he was leaving on a weekend pass to London where he was on a promise with some young lady!!!!!!

I quickly collected my gear with a few kind words to the Rating, beating a hasty guilty retreat just in case the word got out before we departed.

Those were the days.

OPF

squib66
5th Mar 2011, 15:40
It was marked as N437TH.

Any idea who bought the aircraft? I thought they were sold as unairworthy.

TyroPicard
5th Mar 2011, 16:29
No worries.. just paint EXPERIMENTAL on the side..

Fosters
5th Mar 2011, 18:09
N437TH
Owner Name : SOUTHERN AIRCRAFT CONSULTANCY INC TRUSTEE
Owner Address : 7 MEADOW VIEW
: HOCKERING DEREHAM
NORFOLK, NR20-3JS
United Kingdom
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 15-Feb-2011
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Not Specified

Another one was noted on a low loader near the Gatwick area today.

Fosters

mmitch
5th Mar 2011, 18:37
The delivery flights were to be made VFR only.
mmitch.

NutLoose
5th Mar 2011, 22:40
They would have to be, on a permit one would think.

I thought they were sold as unairworthy.

As they do not posses a C of A or more accuratly a permit to fly being ex military "warbirds", it is deemed as such until they are transferred and "civilianised."
Will be a standard get out clause for the MOD for liability purposes one would suspect. After all to advertise them as "airworthy" they would be flyable without anything needing doing to them.

mmitch
6th Mar 2011, 09:25
A fourth (unairworthy) one has been collected by road.
mmitch.

KeyPilot
6th Mar 2011, 12:28
Has the Navy retained any Jetstreams? I'd swear I saw one on the apron at Northolt a few weeks ago.

TEEEJ
6th Mar 2011, 16:11
KeyPilot see following for retirement dates this month.

FighterControl • Home to the Military Aviation Enthusiast • View topic - Jetstream retirement date BROUGHT FORWARD!!! (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27682&p=177919#p177919)

TJ

oldgrubber
8th Mar 2011, 10:34
Keypilot,
750 just did their six ship final flypast here at Culdrose. I think that's it!

Cheers